• The KillerFrogs

WFAA: Former TCU, Skyline star fights to keep his pro football dream alive

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Former TCU and Skyline star fights to keep his pro football dream alive in the Spring League

"I was once the top guy and now I’m working to be that guy again,” said the talented player.

BEDFORD, Texas — Dreams die hard, and former Skyline High School and Texas Christian University star linebacker Paul Dawson isn’t about to give up on his.

"I was once the top guy and now I’m working to be that guy again,” said the talented player.

An All-American and 2014 Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year at TCU, some considered Dawson the top linebacker in the 2015 draft.

Read more at https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports...ague/287-c29000cb-c54c-4c5a-bc53-ad6251e1042f

Zubaz

Surprising to me how few recognizable names there are in the XFL. There are a lot of really good college players that couldn’t land on an NFL roster that you’d think would be a sure thing in the XFL.
Keep in mind that between active squad and practice rosters, the top 2,000 players are already on NFL rosters.

Beyond that, there's always hesitation for startup leagues. Look at the players of the AAF that were kicked out of hotels, abandoned in various cities with no transport, and only got like 3 or 4 weeks of paychecks. For some, it's not worth the risk. If the XFL can prove viable (and increase their salary), you'll probably see more "names".

tcumaniac

source.gif

LVH

Keep in mind that between active squad and practice rosters, the top 2,000 players are already on NFL rosters.

Beyond that, there's always hesitation for startup leagues. Look at the players of the AAF that were kicked out of hotels, abandoned in various cities with no transport, and only got like 3 or 4 weeks of paychecks. For some, it's not worth the risk. If the XFL can prove viable (and increase their salary), you'll probably see more "names".

Vince McMahon is a billionaire though, I don't think these players have to worry about being hung out to dry like the AAF was.

Zubaz

Vince McMahon is a billionaire though, I don't think these players have to worry about being hung out to dry like the AAF was.
He’s also notoriously fickle, but he does seem committed this time.

More importantly though, the league hinges on keeping its tv deal. He’s not spending $250mm to air games on FS1. If ratings go down and Fox / ABC / ESPN decide to not move forward, there’s not much chance of it still going.

All that said...it’s entirely possible Dawson is in the XFL next season.