• The KillerFrogs

TCU Iowa State game thread

Could Dennis have played any worse down the stretch? smh
Where did we find all these ball hogs. Bane having a 2nd half for the ages and all these other people want to shoot the ball. smh

flyfishingfrog

Still, waiting for the traditional - why did Kendric Davis transfer? - post.
I think the question is more why our staff thought that an unproven freshman and a grad transfer that did not excel at a lower level of competition was the answer? What did we miss in our evaluation because it was a big miss and something that has to be corrected for next year

Last edited:

Eight

I think the question is more why our staff thought that an unproven freshman and a grad transfer that did excel at a lower level of competition was the answer? What did we miss in our evaluation because it was a big miss and something that has to be corrected for next year

never understood when skip made the comment the staff thought dennis could play point guard for this team.

i think farabello has potential, but i am not sure he really fits this offense.

CountryFrog

never understood when skip made the comment the staff thought dennis could play point guard for this team.

i think farabello has potential, but i am not sure he really fits this offense.
Farabello will be fine I think but remains to be seen whether or not he's a starter or a backup going forward. Either way we desperately need Miles to be ready to make an immediate impact next season or we'll see a lot more of RJ playing the point.

MTfrog5

Farabello will be fine I think but remains to be seen whether or not he's a starter or a backup going forward. Either way we desperately need Miles to be ready to make an immediate impact next season or we'll see a lot more of RJ playing the point.
Miles really intrigues me. Plays downhill which seems to fit Dixon’s offense. Bello can be a good change of pace too with both them on the floor.

Wog68

RJ playing the point is terrifying. We will see a lot of games in the 40's and 50's if so.

Dogfrog

Dennis was 3-6 from 3, 0 -6 inside the arc. 10 points, 6 rebounds. just didn’t finish or dish well for inside / driving. With two guards out, it’s tough.

Eight

Dennis was 3-6 from 3, 0 -6 inside the arc. 10 points, 6 rebounds. just didn’t finish or dish well for inside / driving. With two guards out, it’s tough.

dennis got asked to do things he just hasn't shown the ability to do this year with any consistency or effectiveness. in all honesty he has never consistently shown the ability to consistently finish or create with the pass at jackson state, uta, or tcu as fly fishing alluded in his post.

as the primary ball handler last night he went 3-12 with 1 assist and 5 turnovers.

dixon didn't have many choices last night as fuller didn't exactly light it up, we have seen bane struggles at time driving the basketball, and this offense is built around the ability to break down a defense with the dribble and either score, draw the foul, or find the open team mate.

the offense isn't built around designed plays to free up bane or isolate samuel down low which is why we see moments like the ball not finding bane in a scoring position at the end of the game or somehow samuel getting 4 shots for the entire game.

smith gets 4 shots in 10 minutes last nightand after kevin goes 7 for 7 against wvu he gets 4 shots against iowa state.

Dogfrog

ISU seemed to frequently crash two or three guys around KS every time he got it down low. On TV it looked like he was mugged frequently in those situations but hard to tell for sure. He was covered up so much he couldn’t even attempt an outlet pass.

Wexahu

dennis got asked to do things he just hasn't shown the ability to do this year with any consistency or effectiveness. in all honesty he has never consistently shown the ability to consistently finish or create with the pass at jackson state, uta, or tcu as fly fishing alluded in his post.

as the primary ball handler last night he went 3-12 with 1 assist and 5 turnovers.

dixon didn't have many choices last night as fuller didn't exactly light it up, we have seen bane struggles at time driving the basketball, and this offense is built around the ability to break down a defense with the dribble and either score, draw the foul, or find the open team mate.

the offense isn't built around designed plays to free up bane or isolate samuel down low which is why we see moments like the ball not finding bane in a scoring position at the end of the game or somehow samuel getting 4 shots for the entire game.

smith gets 4 shots in 10 minutes last nightand after kevin goes 7 for 7 against wvu he gets 4 shots against iowa state.

IMO the lack of a natural point guard who has the leadership and instincts to play that position is the most glaring weakness on the team. Not having someone directing traffic and keeping everyone in their lanes so to speak means a ton of uneven, disorganized play.

Eight

i agree this team needs someone who can penetrate, read the defense, and pose a credible offensive threat in the paint.

PurpleBlood87

Watch the post-game interviews of Bane and Dennis on the FWST site.
Dennis clearly says he drove inside hoping to get fouled. He made himself the option at the end of the game. While Samuel stood wide open twice.
For a fifth-year player, Dennis' basketball IQ seems to be very low.
Maybe the best quote of the night came from King McClure after Dennis held the ball and got a five-second call. McClure said that's not something he'd expect from a grad transfer.

jake102

True Shooting Percentages:
Samuel - 62%
Farebello - 58%
Bane - 57%
Grayer - 54%
Nembhard - 48%
Fuller - 44%
Dennis - 43%
Smith - 34%

Farabello sticks out in a good way. Grayer also. Nembhard is higher than you would think since he shoots a lot of FTs at a high percentage, but based on his volume it's not great.

Dennis, grad transfer SR, shooting at 43% is absurd. Smith shooting at 34% is almost impossible to do unless you're trying to miss.

tcudoc

Farabello sticks out in a good way.
giphy.gif

netty2424

Watch the post-game interviews of Bane and Dennis on the FWST site.
Dennis clearly says he drove inside hoping to get fouled. He made himself the option at the end of the game. While Samuel stood wide open twice.
For a fifth-year player, Dennis' basketball IQ seems to be very low.
Maybe the best quote of the night came from King McClure after Dennis held the ball and got a five-second call. McClure said that's not something he'd expect from a grad transfer.
I think King McClure is doing a good job broadcasting games.

Particularly like how he reacts when a player does something that may be subtle but highly skilled that a casual fan may not realize the difficulty level.

Also think he does a good job of remaining neutral in his assessments.

Eight

True Shooting Percentages:
Samuel - 62%
Farebello - 58%
Bane - 57%
Grayer - 54%
Nembhard - 48%
Fuller - 44%
Dennis - 43%
Smith - 34%

Farabello sticks out in a good way. Grayer also. Nembhard is higher than you would think since he shoots a lot of FTs at a high percentage, but based on his volume it's not great.

Dennis, grad transfer SR, shooting at 43% is absurd. Smith shooting at 34% is almost impossible to do unless you're trying to miss.

the problem with farabello that those numbers don't point out is he doesn't shoot enough. only regular who has taken fewer shots this year is ledee.

diante' smith in 366 minutes of play has taken 96 shots compared to farebello who in 576 minutes has taken 90 shots and added another 11 free throws.

he has to get more aggressive shooting the basketball when he penetrates or teams are going to continue to simply play off him.