• The KillerFrogs

DMN: TCU WR/TE outlook for 2020: The Horned Frogs have breakout potential everywhere you look

McFroggin

I still don't believe that we recruited receivers who dropped lots of passes in HS or who couldn't run routes. That only happens when they are here. Don't know what is happening, but I find it hard to believe that year after year we recruit bad receivers.

Not saying it is the receiver coaches, either. These were talented receivers in HS. Could be many things.

We have no QB that can put it where WR’s can catch it at an acceptable velocity. Watch the XFL Roughnecks QB. He is not NFL quality. He doesnt put much velocity on passes. He just knows the routes, where his WR’s will be, and he gently drops the ball near that spot. Some are jump balls like Boykin. WR’s have time to adjust and make the play. Duggan can’t do that yet.

Limp Lizard

We have no QB that can put it where WR’s can catch it at an acceptable velocity. Watch the XFL Roughnecks QB. He is not NFL quality. He doesnt put much velocity on passes. He just knows the routes, where his WR’s will be, and he gently drops the ball near that spot. Some are jump balls like Boykin. WR’s have time to adjust and make the play. Duggan can’t do that yet.
About WR drops, yes the accuracy of the QB plays a huge factor. If a QB puts 8 of 10 passes in a great spot, like Burrow, then an occasional drop doesn't mean much in the duration of a game. If a QB puts 4 or 10 passes reasonably close to the QB, then a drop os huge: when will the next catchable ball come around? Happened a lot the last 3 years. Yes, even in 2017.

WR problems well predate Duggan. In fact after the first few games he started underthrowing a lot in an attempt to put air under the ball then of course a few overthrows. But no worse than Boykin early. And he makes much, much better decisions than Boykin or especially Hill early at TCU. He just needs to learn how to play football, vs throw the ball, which he does well, just not too accurately at times. That is up to Cumbie. I thought last year was a make or break year for Cumbie. Surely this is it.