• The KillerFrogs

TCU Iowa State game thread

Wog68

I don’t think JD had anything to do with it. I think someone values their own skills significantly more than warranted and the best player didn’t demand the ball.
I do. Unless I missed it, Dixon didn't call time out to set Bane up. Just let #2 race up and down the floor totally out of control.

TRF51

Questionable calls down the stretch but we played hard. We are not a talented team, things have to go great for us to win. They made more plays down the stretch and their big got the better of Sam although Sam is a way better player. Wouldn’t know that because we didn’t get him involved.

#2 stat line:

3-12 fg
1-2 ft
5 TO
1 assist
1 steal- after he turned ball over

why are you not getting the ball out of your hands in crunch time!?!?

great team effort but season is over

Well he is pretty much the only one who can even halfway drive the ball to the hoop on the whole team. It’s crazy we really don’t have anyone that can take it to the hole 1 on 1. No one else really have shown the ability to take it 1 on 1 and pressure the D. Couldn’t finish but at least he got there, or dish it off but that is what you need down the stretch. Someone to take it to the hole.

netty2424

Out to dinner with the fam so I missed the first half, but I was happy with second half overall.

I mean regardless of what happened first half, they clawed back and almost won. They aren’t quitting. Lot can be said for that. Unfortunate they couldn’t pull this one out.

Need a point guard.

ftwfrog

Dennis can get into the lane and is the best defender on our team.

He is so bad at decision making though. Strange.
Hell, I’m almost 40 & not good at basketball and I can get into the lane. What we need is someone who will show some resemblance of a basketball shot when they get there. The “flail, hopelessly while looking for a phantom foul on the road” isn’t always a great strategy.

CountryFrog

I'm not sure how much of it is that Dennis is good at getting in the lane or that defenses are totally ok with him taking the ball into the lane.

CountryFrog

Can't be down 16 at halftime. If we don't end the first half so lousy and only go in trailing by 8 or 9 then we may very well have won.

I'm not sure how much of it is that Dennis is good at getting in the lane or that defenses are totally ok with him taking the ball into the lane.

No doubt they didn’t want the ball in Bane’s hands, but they still would prefer stopping the ball going to the hoop. That’s where defenses break down. If you can get the ball going to hole, lots of good things can happen- made shot, foul, dish to Samuel, rebound put back by guys crashing the board, hit Bane or Grayer for the open three.

I like the strategy, tbh. I don’t know who would have been better of the guys on the floor tonight. Obviously Nembhard is our best option in game time situations. It’s not Bane’s forte, and he’s such an asset for the 3 or offensive rebound in that situation. I did think Bane he did a good job in the second half executing from the top of the key.

berryfrog95

......they allowed him to get into the lane and he took the bait quite often. He made countless errors once he got there and that was our undoing down the stretch. Had he shoveled it to bane or Samuel one time on a drive we may have had a win....oh well

CountryFrog

No doubt they didn’t want the ball in Bane’s hands, but they still would prefer stopping the ball going to the hoop. That’s where defenses break down. If you can get the ball going to hole, lots of good things can happen- made shot, foul, dish to Samuel, rebound put back by guys crashing the board, hit Bane or Grayer for the open three.

I like the strategy, tbh. I don’t know who would have been better of the guys on the floor tonight. Obviously Nembhard is our best option in game time situations. It’s not Bane’s forte, and he’s such an asset for the 3 or offensive rebound in that situation. I did think Bane he did a good job in the second half executing from the top of the key.
Defenses would obviously PREFER that the ball never get inside but basketball is a game of picking and choosing the things that you're more ok with happening since you can't stop everything. Dennis is a decent 3 point threat but is highly inconsistent as a playmaker and is not a good finisher in traffic. So in crucial situations you're not going to let him step into a 3. You're going to force him to put the ball on the floor and if he gets by you then you'll live with the results.

As far as other options, yes, that's the problem with this years team. There are far too few good options offensively.

PurpleBlood87

Had to work tonight so I just finished watching the game.
When did the Dennis become TCU's go-to guy with the game on the line?
For a graduate senior is truly clueless.

Last edited: