• The KillerFrogs

DMN: TCU WR/TE outlook for 2020: The Horned Frogs have breakout potential everywhere you look

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: TCU WR/TE outlook for 2020: The Horned Frogs have breakout potential everywhere you look

By Grant McGalliard

Even with the notable departure of Jalen Reagor, the TCU wideout corps may be the most talented offensive group on the roster.

It’s hard to nail down exactly why. The stats weren’t great for Horned Frog receivers, and not all of that can be blamed on a freshman quarterback and overall offensive anemia. There were plenty of drops and miscommunication from the wideouts. But there were also spectacular catches and, more importantly, trust-building between the returning receivers and quarterback Max Duggan.

Here’s TCU’s wide receiver and tight end outlook for the 2020 season.

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...-2020-breakout-potential-everywhere-you-look/

Limp Lizard

A tall bunch of new receivers coming up. I would love to see Dylan Thomas have a completely healthy season and see what he can do.

And if our WR coach is as good as Gary says, hopefully the drops will be held down. (Everybody drops....it's just a matter of what percent and whether or not the QB can consistently get the ball to the receivers.)

WhatTheFrog

A tall bunch of new receivers coming up. I would love to see Dylan Thomas have a completely healthy season and see what he can do.

And if our WR coach is as good as Gary says, hopefully the drops will be held down. (Everybody drops....it's just a matter of what percent and whether or not the QB can consistently get the ball to the receivers.)
I was thinking the same thing. We have height coming in, hopefully there are hands to go with it.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Catch the damned ball.

I honestly don't care about their 1.) Speed, 2.) Height, 3.) Quickness, 4.) Etcetera. If they can't catch the damned ball, then whatever play we run their way is either a wasted down or a turnover. All that other crap is nice, but it pales in comparison to the Primary Duty of a Receiver...

Catch the damned ball!

Eight

on paper (which has become a recurring theme for the frogs these past few seasons) the frogs have 6 receivers who stand 6'3" or taller and it simply isn't a matter of height. several are 200+ lbs.

damn impressive intramural team based upon their collective high school basketball highlights.

all great on paper, but can they catch? will they be asked to run routes using their physical tools to create mismatches?

Limp Lizard

I still don't believe that we recruited receivers who dropped lots of passes in HS or who couldn't run routes. That only happens when they are here. Don't know what is happening, but I find it hard to believe that year after year we recruit bad receivers.

Not saying it is the receiver coaches, either. These were talented receivers in HS. Could be many things.

Wexahu

I still don't believe that we recruited receivers who dropped lots of passes in HS or who couldn't run routes. That only happens when they are here. Don't know what is happening, but I find it hard to believe that year after year we recruit bad receivers.

Not saying it is the receiver coaches, either. These were talented receivers in HS. Could be many things.

I'd say the overall awfulness and inconsistency of the offense itself has played a role in receivers dropping passes. I know it's a chicken/egg argument but things are harder to do when everything is constantly out of rhythm and that's what it looked like almost all the time. Even when we got results it often didn't look very good, almost like it was by accident.

4th. down

Kids are kids and when they continue to run routes and the ball just doesn't happen to come their way and it's uncatchable, they get discouraged and become lackadaisical.

Personally, I don't much go for the 5 receiver formations for just this reason. Let's say that the receiver was in for 20 offensive plays and 2 passes were thrown to him and he catches one and the other was uncatchable - he's lost interest and goes back to the bench and [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ]s about what he's doing for the weekend.

Hopefully Kill will go to a more 3/4 receiver route and I like the possibility of Lynn at TE with Pro in the slot next to him either for a passing down or running play with one taking out the LB and the other the corner so that Foster or Barlow has some room to scoot.

There is no need for all this substitution (we want our players to be fresh excuse) when players use to play both ways. You cannot get worn out like this if your in shape like our RB's use to get 13-15 carries/game because they want to keep them fresh - BS.