• The KillerFrogs

Ranking the schools after Conference Realignment

LeagueCityFrog

I will be also interested to see what ADJD does with our tier 3 tv this round. TCU needs exposure. Longhorn Network was a great thing for TCU. Frogs are on Fox Sports Southwest all the time. I hope ADJD keeps a good amount of our games on what is to become ESPN Southwest and not put everything possible behind an ESPN+ pay wall. I bought ESPN+ to watch Frog games, but the casual fan in say Houston is more likely to stumble on and watch a TCU game or the weekly Horned Frogs Nation scrolling channels on Comcast then casually looking for a game on ESPN+. My suspicion is that TCU's tier 3 content is worth around $7-$8 million a year now including one football game, which is probably our first home opener.

LeagueCityFrog

Also.... I think CDC said he unknowingly gave away our tier 3 TV rights for like $1-2 million a season last cycle. He didn't care because what was our tier 1 TV rights were getting paid around $2 million total our last year in the Mountain West. Now TCU pulls in north of $40 million this cycle. Say we get $8 million a year this cycle on tier 3 and the tier 1 goes north to $42 million for 2020. Man... TCU... clearing $50 million in TV money vs at best $4 million in the Mountain West is nothing short of amazing. Not one school benefited more than TCU in that last round of realignment. Colorado needs to make a u-turn and come back and get paid. There are a lot of UT fans that would welcome the state of Colorado back in our mix. I as a fan would love to watch TCU football back in the Rockies every other year.

No SEC team will ever come to the Big12. Ever.

What I don't understand is, why PAC & ACC teams aren't lined up at the Big12's door to get in? Better TV contract and keep your own tier 3 money. Tier 3 money would be huge at a place like Colorado or Arizona State. Or Clemson or Florida State. They are literally leaving $10million per year on the table.

ACC has it's own network deal with ESPN. ACC is ESPNs prize conference and has been for years. Long lasting relationship. ESPN is fully invested in that conference and will keep it together. Especially Clemson and FSU. The last puzzle piece ESPN wants for ACC is Notre Dame in ACC football. ESPN expanding with the SEC has allowed them to control a football and basketball rich east coast.

If Big 12 is looking to take any teams of a P5 conference it would be Pac 12. Big 10 has protected Pac 12 with their long lasting relationship. Will be interesting what happens when contracts start coming up.
TCU needs to control what it can control which is making TCU look as attractive as ever (academics, facilities, athletics, etc.) with the main ingredient which is winning. TCU also needs to continue strong relationships with other conference power players amongst other things.

Wexahu

Also.... I think CDC said he unknowingly gave away our tier 3 TV rights for like $1-2 million a season last cycle. He didn't care because what was our tier 1 TV rights were getting paid around $2 million total our last year in the Mountain West. Now TCU pulls in north of $40 million this cycle. Say we get $8 million a year this cycle on tier 3 and the tier 1 goes north to $42 million for 2020. Man... TCU... clearing $50 million in TV money vs at best $4 million in the Mountain West is nothing short of amazing. Not one school benefited more than TCU in that last round of realignment. Colorado needs to make a u-turn and come back and get paid. There are a lot of UT fans that would welcome the state of Colorado back in our mix. I as a fan would love to watch TCU football back in the Rockies every other year.

I like it like it is, where we play every team in the conference every year. I highly doubt our Tier 3 rights would be worth $8M/year, but regardless, the athletic program makes plenty of money. The joke is kind of on us in that regard, because if you've noticed, the more money the athletic program brings in, the more expensive everything becomes for the fan and supporter. Funny how that works. None of that money trickles down, it's damn expensive to play in the big pool.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The PAC is going to implode. They aren't getting much (comparatively) with their TV deals, and half the members think the other half are dead weight.
Pinching off 4 or 6 of the PAC members, and then forming a two-division Conference with a Championship Game would be perfect. Especially if, say, Rape U. was jettisoned to make room for USC or UTAH...

Wexahu

The PAC is going to implode. They aren't getting much (comparatively) with their TV deals, and half the members think the other half are dead weight.
Pinching off 4 or 6 of the PAC members, and then forming a two-division Conference with a Championship Game would be perfect. Especially if, say, Rape U. was jettisoned to make room for USC or UTAH...

Outside of Washington State and Oregon State who else could be described as "dead weight" in that conference?

Wexahu

Ask UCLA and USC.

Maybe you are right but I think every one of those schools adds value, or at the least isn't "dead weight". In other words, I don't think any of the schools outside of OSU and WSU is in any real danger of not being part of a P5 conference, or major conference, or whatever they are called in that day in time. OSU and WSU are clearly riding coattails though, there is little doubt about that IMO.

Eight

Don't ever, ever, ever, ever inquire about health care plans online. Did it 3-4 years ago and literally had 30 phone calls in the next 5 minutes. It was incredible. I still get 1-2 a day.

simple reason why, most of the sites you go to for health insurance and a number other forms of coverage are nothing more than marketing sites that then turn around and sell your contact information to agents or independent firms that buy the leads of "interested prospects"

hiphopfroggy

I could imagine a round of negotiations where Wash st and Or st are dropped, WVU is moved to the ACC and Iowa st and Kansas st to the B1G. Then with 99% of the deal done, pick 2 of Baylor/Utah/Arizona St to create the new Pac/Big12 conference.

Eight

I could imagine a round of negotiations where Wash st and Or st are dropped, WVU is moved to the ACC and Iowa st and Kansas st to the B1G. Then with 99% of the deal done, pick 2 of Baylor/Utah/Arizona St to create the new Pac/Big12 conference.

the washington and oregon legislatures are not going to let one school stay in the conference and be another dropped.

hiphopfroggy

the washington and oregon legislatures are not going to let one school stay in the conference and be another dropped.

The Washington and Oregon legislatures will not be consulted until late in the negotiating process. The California legislature will run the show on the Pac side. The Washington and Oregon legislatures will have a choice, 1 P5 school or 0 P5 schools. The #'s will make it an easily justifiable choice.

Wexahu

The Big 10 isn't letting anyone in that isn't an AAU member. That eliminates Kansas State (and OU for those who think they are a possible BIG convert). Iowa State and KU would be potential candidates simply based on the fact they fit that criteria, but I don't know why the Big 10 would want them.