• The KillerFrogs

Wilder-Fury II

FBallFan123

maybe i am too old to understand the need for hype me, but experience has told me that you don't have to overly sell great events and i watch a number of such "big events" with the sound off so maybe i am too damn old for the sporting world anymore

Regarding the "hype"...

I mean, yeah, there's a lot of coverage of the fight on ESPN.

But they had simlar coverage for Mayweather-Pacquiao, and that was HBO and SHO PPV event...

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-...ll-in-from-las-vegas-for-mayweather-pacquiao/

ESPN “All in” from Las Vegas for Mayweather-Pacquiao

• SportsCenter, First Take, SportsNation, ESPN Radio’s The Herd with Colin Cowherd, Sirius XM’s Stephen A. Smith Show, ESPN Radio LA710 Max & Marcellus in Las Vegas
  • Coverage from Las Vegas on ESPN Deportes’ News and Information Platforms, Semana de Campeones
  • “All-Access” Specials
  • Special Thursday edition of ESPN Friday Night Fights, Noche de Combates
  • Pre- and post-fight Analysis, Stories on ESPN.com, ESPN Deportes.com, ESPN The Magazine

Chongo94

I could not disagree with you more. Wilder has a really good back story. His boxing persona is different from his outside the right personality.

It’s not that I don’t appreciate his backstory, it is interesting. I just am not a huge fan of someone as overrated as he is heading the division.

Last edited:

SuperTFrog

All of the sports fans I know (who aren’t necessarily boxing fans) are all texting me asking where we are going to watch this. Feels similar to Mayweather Pacqiau in the “must see” category. I love boxing so it is a no brainer for me.

pgdaly84

This shows what a racket UFC has going on with what they pay their fighters. It's good for the fans in the sense that only having one organization ensures that the promoter can put the best fights on, but man of fighters get screwed hard.

They’re criminally underpaid and need to unionize. The players in the 3 major sports get between 40-50% of the revenue. UFC fighters get less than 10%.

I’m pumped for the Wilder/Fury fight. Clash of styles. Those saying that Wilder is nothing but a “good right hand” are way off. It isn’t just a good right hand. It’s been measured as one of the most powerful in boxing history, and is probably pound for pound the most powerful since he’s small for a heavyweight.

FBallFan123

Odds may favor Fury, but the ESPN poll favors Wilder.

Predictions follow conventional wisdom: Wilder by KO or Fury by decision.

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/28670684/deontay-wilder-vs-tyson-fury-ii-predictions-win

Dan Rafael: Wilder by KO
Timothy Bradley Jr.: Wilder by KO
Julio Cesar Chavez: Wilder by KO
Juan Manuel Marquez: Fury by decision
Josh Taylor: Fury by decision
Nick Parkinson: Wilder by KO/TKO
Teddy Atlas: Wilder by KO8
Nigel Collins: Wilder by TKO
Steve Kim: Wilder by KO8
Eric Raskin: Wilder by KO9
Doug Kezirian: Wilder by KO
Delvin Rodriguez: Wilder by KO
Charles Moynihan: Fury by unanimous decision
Salvador Rodriguez: Wilder by late KO
Claudia Trejos: Wilder by KO
David Faitelson: Wilder by KO
Jorge Eduardo Sánchez: Fury by decision
Bernardo Pilatti: Wilder by TKO

Last edited:

FBallFan123

Iole says it's "on track" for highest paid gate for US heavyweight fight....and Arum keeps talking about 2 million PPV buys.

Also, have to love the fight-night coverage of ABC showing arena arrivals during an NBA game and Sportcenter showing the ring walks live.

ABC/ESPN and FOX have done a masterful job of promoting this event.

Kevin Iole with some of the details....

Kevin Iole said:
ABC is going to show Saturday’s fighter arrivals on tape during the broadcast of the Milwaukee Bucks-Philadelphia 76ers game. And on “SportsCenter,” they plan to show the ring walks of both Fury and Wilder live, which might entice a few last minute buyers.

Kevin Iole said:
There are less than a thousand tickets remaining and the paid gate is on track to surpass the record for a heavyweight fight in the U.S. which is currently held by Lennox Lewis-Evander Holyfield 2 on Nov. 13, 1999 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Kevin Iole said:
Promoter Bob Arum is a master of hyperbole, but he is convinced it will exceed two million.

“If we were in the old days when HBO and Showtime were doing [the pay-per-views], it would have been crazy to say a fight like this could do two million,” Arum said. “But because of Fox and ESPN and what I knew they were planning to do to promote the fight, I always believed we had a shot to equal or exceed two million buys. I’m more confident than ever now that we will surpass two million.”

Contrary to the tweet earlier, looks like Wilder is favored (at least at MGM):

Kevin Iole said:
Wilder remains a slight favorite, at -130, at the MGM Grand Sports Book. Fury is at +110.

Last edited:

Chongo94

They’re criminally underpaid and need to unionize. The players in the 3 major sports get between 40-50% of the revenue. UFC fighters get less than 10%.

I’m pumped for the Wilder/Fury fight. Clash of styles. Those saying that Wilder is nothing but a “good right hand” are way off. It isn’t just a good right hand. It’s been measured as one of the most powerful in boxing history, and is probably pound for pound the most powerful since he’s small for a heavyweight.

Soooo....nothing but a “great right hand” then?;)