• The KillerFrogs

OT: How Do You Invest Your Money?

tcudoc

I invested in cardboard when it was only 13 cents a ton. Now it's up to 18 cents a ton. I bought 5 tons of it, so I'm pretty excited. I got a special deal where I only have to keep three tons of it at my house...
-SG Martin

AroundWorldFrog

I invested in cardboard when it was only 13 cents a ton. Now it's up to 18 cents a ton. I bought 5 tons of it, so I'm pretty excited. I got a special deal where I only have to keep three tons of it at my house...
-SG Martin
If you made your house from cardboard, you could keep even more!

froginmn

Yeah, I make a lot of money. I'm in the stock market. Now I don't know if you know anything about the stock market or not, but uh, if you do, you'll appreciate this. I bought cardboard when it was 14 cents a ton. And its up to 16 cents now, so... lets see, I bought 3 tons of it, so that would be....well, you figure it out. And when I bought it I made a special deal with them where I only have to keep 2 tons of it at my house.

-SG Martin
Get a room.

BABYFACE

Assuming property tax for commercial real estate builders is the same as individual residential? Don’t know enough to say either way. Don’t think rent is priced versus all-in cost of homes as renting is significantly cheaper in most metro areas.

would argue stocks are not timing dependent as the quality, recognizable ones tend to increase consistently over time.

can’t say that about real estate...it’s getting to a point where the most questionable mortgage lenders hit a risk wall

Not in the DFW market. Ownership is more bang for buck. I also lived in SoFla (Miami area). Rent was a better value than ownership. Completely opposite of DFW. Rent cost per square footage is much high when compared to ownership. One also gets to deduct interest from their taxes. Plus, your home typically brings a big payday after long term ownership when sold. Whether it is the owner that sells and buys that RV to travel the country in retirement or a large sum to the children of the deceased.

jake102

...and it ain't over.

If anyone cares, I will post my firm's outlook reports on the General Board (if anything, just to humor you). It is not advertising material (and I am not soliciting investors!), just our monthly and quarterly outlooks. We aren't a Goldman, but we do have $8B. tl:dr If ppl would read I would be happy to post.

I'd love to read.

I'm in O&G finance and we have TVs throughout our space. It's been a bloodbath the past week with constant reminders in big bright red on the TVs

talor

...and it ain't over.

If anyone cares, I will post my firm's outlook reports on the General Board (if anything, just to humor you). It is not advertising material (and I am not soliciting investors!), just our monthly and quarterly outlooks. We aren't a Goldman, but we do have $8B. tl:dr If ppl would read I would be happy to post.
Post it here.

Treasury should offer: 100-YR $1T at 2%; 50Y-R $1T at 1.75%; 30-YR $1T 1.5%; and 10-YR $1T at 1.25%. Stretch maturities. It would be a synthetic yield curve but it would work.

tcumaniac

Not a bad time to refinance your mortgage. Just checked rates and saw some offers for 30 year mortgages at 3.25%

I just finished refinancing through Costco. Bumped my membership to "executive" for a month, which capped my lender fees at $275 vs $650 as a normal Costco member (Cost me $10 extra for a month to upgrade my costco membership).

Should have waited a few weeks. Interest rates are even lower, and costco is running a new promotion capping Lender fees at $175 for executive members.

All in, my refinance cost was right around $2k (mainly appraisal and title fees). For a 30 year mortgage my new rate was locked in at 3.375%, but they were trying to force me to do escrow and were charging a $950 escrow waiver fee (I refuse to do escrow). Instead of the fee, I just agreed to bump my rate up 1/8 to 3.5%. My original rate was at 4.25% from when I originated the mortgage 3 years ago. The refinance is ultimately saving me about $425 a month.

https://costcofinance.com/

Frog-in-law1995

Not a bad time to refinance your mortgage. Just checked rates and saw some offers for 30 year mortgages at 3.25%

I just finished refinancing through Costco. Bumped my membership to "executive" for a month, which capped my lender fees at $275 vs $650 as a normal Costco member (Cost me $10 extra for a month to upgrade my costco membership).

Should have waited a few weeks. Interest rates are even lower, and costco is running a new promotion capping Lender fees at $175 for executive members.

All in, my refinance cost was right around $2k (mainly appraisal and title fees). For a 30 year mortgage my new rate was locked in at 3.375%, but they were trying to force me to do escrow and were charging a $950 escrow waiver fee (I refuse to do escrow). Instead of the fee, I just agreed to bump my rate up 1/8 to 3.5%. My original rate was at 4.25% from when I originated the mortgage 3 years ago. The refinance is ultimately saving me about $425 a month.

https://costcofinance.com/

just glanced at their rates online and the lowest I see is 4.125% on a 15-year. I have perfect credit (literally 850 on Experian right now) and 4x our mortgage balance in home equity. What lender offered you 3.375?

edit: I see as low as 3.25% for a new loan...numbers above were for refis.

edit edit: holy hell, I see 2.75 for a new 15-year and 3.125% for a 30 after entering the approximate loan amount we’re considering for a move in the next year or so. Might need to get jumping on this.