• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs Longhorns Wednesday Night Basketball

Farmfrog

We need to worry about the one time transfer rule if it goes into effect. College basketball free agency will most likely not be a good thing for TCU. What if we lost PJ, RJ, Bello, Samuel and Smith to this rule how would we replace them.

My concerns with Coach is mostly to do with X’s and O’s. Skip, where are you, said Jamie was a principal coach but to me that just means he doesn’t want to change. What good is Samuel if you don’t actively try to use him on offense. Why don’t we go small and make teams guard us all over the floor and play just a little faster and not take the first three we get?

Wexahu

I personally think the mistake fans make is thinking that any rebuilding team should get to X level of success after Y amount of time. You have to be able to look at each year individually AND judge the overall trajectory of the program. I see the last 4 years as an overall very positive step forward. This one season has not been good but I don't confuse one bad season with the entire program being bad.

I think a few years ago the program was in position to really get some momentum going but all that has been totally lost. It's been more than one bad year though (the second half of last year was bad too) and I don't know how anyone could say the trajectory of the program is trending up. In fact, It's probably at it's lowest point right now since Dixon took over. And there's really nothing very tangible to hinge our hopes on for the future other than blind optimism.

I know you think 4 years isn't enough time to give a coach to build a program but sometimes you gotta read the writing on the wall. I like the odds of it getting turned around a lot better with a new guy that people can get excited about.

LisaLT

I don't know how you guys can watch this team. It is so bad it's comical. When I do tune in, it appears that none of the players look motivated or know what they are doing. Terribly inaccurate shooting, lazy shots, etc. Its a real cluster out there.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
The thing I liked yesterday that we did in the first half was the double off-the-ball screening we did when they played denial on Bane. We caught the defender leaning the wrong way several times.

Then we seemed to go away from it in the 2nd. Or it wasn't working. I was too disillusioned in the second half to watch properly and figure out which.

tetonfrog

I know you think 4 years isn't enough time to give a coach to build a program but sometimes you gotta read the writing on the wall. I like the odds of it getting turned around a lot better with a new guy that people can get excited about.

You do have good points about the state of the program. I am not defending JD's offense or the turnover rate in the program. However, I don't believe there is a long-term upgrade out there.

Here are the three biggest questions about making a change?

1) Where is JD gonna go? Sorry, we are not buying out his contract and eating a bunch of money. If he can't go to UCLA, then why would he leave now?

2) What coach coach is going to better? Ask Indiana about Archie Miller. Ask Wake Forrest about Danny Manning. Ask UT about Shaka. Hell, ask Pitt about Stallings. And if we did strike lightening in a bottle and, for example, hired the University of North Texas coach, and took off, then why would he stay?

3) How would the new coach change the TCU fans' attitude about basketball? We have no history and few and fickle fans. Most of us will admit that we are football first, baseball second and hoops third. How many other schools in the conference have that attitude? How can that change?

This thread is a perfect example. It is 14 pages The home win over KSU was 5. It seems like TCU fans can't wait to get on here and complain. Why would that change with a new coach? Hell, we don't like a coach who has a .624 winning percentage and three straight postseason berths. And he is a Frog, too.

I understand your frustration. This is a flawed team. We stink on the road and it could get very ugly in Lawrence and Ames, too. But what if things turn around next year? That is why I want to stress patience. If these same problems continue, then I agree that we need to make a change. But, personally, I'd start with the AD and then start to shake up the coaches at our school.

4th. down

Can anyone say with confidence that they know we can do better with a new coach? To me, getting a good basketball coach is kinda a crap shoot and IMO, more difficult than football.

Scott Drew in his first 4 years at Baylor was 12/52 and now look where they are. Jamie is 23/32. No sunshine here but he needs another year, move these mid major players out and RECRUIT BETTER. It's been repeatedly stated that the majority of our players have a low IQ for basketball, which means coaching and practice is very difficult. Jamie has repeatedly said we changed things up at halftime but then we come out and don't execute the plan.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I don't know how you guys can watch this team. It is so bad it's comical. When I do tune in, it appears that none of the players look motivated or know what they are doing. Terribly inaccurate shooting, lazy shots, etc. Its a real cluster out there.
There are some good things to see, you just have to sit through a lot of growing pains and overall crappy play. Reminds me of the Emmitt Smith diamonds quote. We've had stretches of good play, and growth play from guys like Samuel, PJ, Bello. More growth is needed but I've seen upside from Smith and Ledee. I like watching the newcomers get better.

But then I get sad and frustrated because we don't seem to go with the flow of a hot hand, or stick with the guys hustling their tails off. In fact, I've seen way too often this year this scenario:

A guy will score two or three baskets in a couple minute stretch, set some great picks to get guys open, or take a charge/get a steal. But then at the next dead ball he's subbed out. It drives me nuts.

RoyaltyWorePurple

You do have good points about the state of the program. I am not defending JD's offense or the turnover rate in the program. However, I don't believe there is a long-term upgrade out there.

Here are the three biggest questions about making a change?

1) Where is JD gonna go? Sorry, we are not buying out his contract and eating a bunch of money. If he can't go to UCLA, then why would he leave now?

2) What coach coach is going to better? Ask Indiana about Archie Miller. Ask Wake Forrest about Danny Manning. Ask UT about Shaka. Hell, ask Pitt about Stallings. And if we did strike lightening in a bottle and, for example, hired the University of North Texas coach, and took off, then why would he stay?

3) How would the new coach change the TCU fans' attitude about basketball? We have no history and few and fickle fans. Most of us will admit that we are football first, baseball second and hoops third. How many other schools in the conference have that attitude? How can that change?

This thread is a perfect example. It is 14 pages The home win over KSU was 5. It seems like TCU fans can't wait to get on here and complain. Why would that change with a new coach? Hell, we don't like a coach who has a .624 winning percentage and three straight postseason berths. And he is a Frog, too.

I understand your frustration. This is a flawed team. We stink on the road and it could get very ugly in Lawrence and Ames, too. But what if things turn around next year? That is why I want to stress patience. If these same problems continue, then I agree that we need to make a change. But, personally, I'd start with the AD and then start to shake up the coaches at our school.
There you go being rational and inserting logic....

Jury is out on the rest because the rest just got to campus about 7 months ago.

This team was basically Bane, Samuel, RJ, and new guys. The 3 who have been here have definitely improved during their time at TCU. Not a whole lot of improvement that can be expected with the others in such a short time frame imo.
Correct.