• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘Best job in America.’ Jerry Kill embraces new role, ready to turn TCU’s offense around

ticketfrog123

Actually Va Tech fans on their pay forum said that Kill made two critical suggestions to Fuente that made a large difference. One was the QB change and the other was for Fuente to start doing some of the play calling which made a big difference. So he actually did have a hand in the QB change.

I don’t care enough to google it, but I’m pretty sure it was injuries that caused the QB change

Froggish

I don’t care enough to google it, but I’m pretty sure it was injuries that caused the QB change

Sort of....Hokies started 2-2 and Kill suggested to Fuente that he bench Willis for Hooker. Hooker starts the next 3 and wins them getting hurt. He misses a few games and they make a change to the 3rd stringer while he heals up. He comes back and goes 3-1 in the last 4 starts..6-1 as the starter and the change was instigated by Kill.

It’s irrelevant. The point is Kill was having a big impact on how things got moving in the positive at VTech. That doesn’t mean it will happen here but the narrative that he makes teams better is certainly true.

TooColdU

Sort of....Hokies started 2-2 and Kill suggested to Fuente that he bench Willis for Hooker. Hooker starts the next 3 and wins them getting hurt. He misses a few games and they make a change to the 3rd stringer while he heels up. He comes back and goes 3-1 in the last 4 starts..6-1 as the starter and the change was instigated by Kill.

It’s irrelevant. The point is Kill was having a big impact on how things got moving in the positive at VTech. That doesn’t mean it will happen here but the narrative that he makes teams better is certainly true.

Nobody really knows for sure that it was Kill that suggested the QB change. The reasoning might just be due to the timing of it all. Virginia Tech hired Kill after their 3rd game of the season. Regardless, the decision to change QBs was a really easy one, especially after they got killed (no-pun intended) at home, 45-10, by a 5-7 Duke team.

Their senior starter, Willis, was a 3-star transfer from KU that couldn't scramble in a heavy run offense. After Josh Jackson broke his leg in 2018, Willis went 4-7 as the starter. Jackson ended up transferring to Maryland, so VT was stuck with Willis as their guy to start 2019. Their commitment to Willis was thin to begin with.

Hendon Hooker was a redshirt sophomore, 4-star prospect that was VT's highest-rated offensive player in their 2017 class. He entered the transfer portal last year in January but decided to stay at VT. Hooker easily made the offense much better similar to way Josh Jackson did for them in 2017. They both were dual threats.

The bottom line, if Josh Jackson didn't break his leg in 2018 and transfer to Maryland, we probably aren't anointing Jerry Kill as this "fixer" of offenses.

Froggish

Nobody really knows for sure that it was Kill that suggested the QB change. The reasoning might just be due to the timing of it all. Virginia Tech hired Kill after their 3rd game of the season. Regardless, the decision to change QBs was a really easy one, especially after they got killed (no-pun intended) at home, 45-10, by a 5-7 Duke team.

Their senior starter, Willis, was a 3-star transfer from KU that couldn't scramble in a heavy run offense. After Josh Jackson broke his leg in 2018, Willis went 4-7 as the starter. Jackson ended up transferring to Maryland, so VT was stuck with Willis as their guy to start 2019. Their commitment to Willis was thin to begin with.

Hendon Hooker was a redshirt sophomore, 4-star prospect that was VT's highest-rated offensive player in their 2017 class. He entered the transfer portal last year in January but decided to stay at VT. Hooker easily made the offense much better similar to way Josh Jackson did for them in 2017. They both were dual threats.

The bottom line, if Josh Jackson didn't break his leg in 2018 and transfer to Maryland, we probably aren't anointing Jerry Kill as this "fixer" of offenses.

I don’t if anyone has used the “fixer of offenses” term. Most of his reputation is that he has made programs improve and that exists long before his short stint at VT. As for you description of the VT QB situation, their’s a whole thread on VTs paysite from the the time of the QB change that specifically says it was Kills suggestion. They would be more in the know then anyone around here.

Kill is not a fixer of offenses. He’s a fixer of fundamentals and organizations. If you’ve watched Frog offenses over the last 4 years than your aware the fundamentals and organization is a problem. We lack cohesion and that something that Kill is capable of helping with.

I don’t by any stretch think the hiring of Kill makes us an offensive anyone will fear. I just hope we get more efficient and smarter and turn our B12 leading FG squad into a few more TDs.

Last edited:

ticketfrog123

Sort of....Hokies started 2-2 and Kill suggested to Fuente that he bench Willis for Hooker. Hooker starts the next 3 and wins them getting hurt. He misses a few games and they make a change to the 3rd stringer while he heels up. He comes back and goes 3-1 in the last 4 starts..6-1 as the starter and the change was instigated by Kill.

hilarious that benching Willis is somehow a brilliant move. That dude was always bad and everyone with half working eye balls could tell you that.

don’t think he had any role in making hooker the QB he is.

So unless he says bench Duggan for Baldwin he won’t provide much value, using your analogy.

Froggish

hilarious that benching Willis is somehow a brilliant move. That dude was always bad and everyone with half working eye balls could tell you that.

don’t think he had any role in making hooker the QB he is.

So unless he says bench Duggan for Baldwin he won’t provide much value, using your analogy.

I’m not sure what point your trying to make. You either think Kill will help or not...I think he will help but have no idea to what extent. The QB thing is just example of the TYPE way he helped VaTech. If you think it was a bad hire than so be it. Probably best to just say that. I have no idea why your tunnel visioned on to a QB story from another site. You’ve clearly missed the point.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
I'm not excited about Gary's coaching changes. Gary is staying in his comfort zone with friends being hired.

As much as I hate Baylor, they're hiring better than we are (IMO).

Hopefully I'm wrong.

GenXFrog

Just revisited this article.

“He’s made the statement that this is the best offensive staff he’s ever had. That’s kind of like saying it’s the best recruiting class we’ve ever had. We’ve got to prove it. Am I worried about it? Not at all. That’s not arrogant or anything.”

“Gary’s the best coach in the country. There ain’t no question in my mind and I guarantee you as a defensive coach, he’s a genius,” Kill said. “We’ve seen that. Hell, if you can keep them under 30, we should win here. We should win. We should win every damn game."

So many promising words...

Eight

“He’s made the statement that this is the best offensive staff he’s ever had. That’s kind of like saying it’s the best recruiting class we’ve ever had. We’ve got to prove it. Am I worried about it? Not at all. That’s not arrogant or anything.”

“Gary’s the best coach in the country. There ain’t no question in my mind and I guarantee you as a defensive coach, he’s a genius,” Kill said. “We’ve seen that. Hell, if you can keep them under 30, we should win here. We should win. We should win every damn game."

so many troubling words if he truly is believing what he said in the article

Moose Stuff

I think we all agree with his closing comments. That's why we're all so pissed.