• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs Longhorns Wednesday Night Basketball

An argument can be made that NOW the AD may need to consider doing something. We can all have different opinions about what those specific changes should be but it's at least a conversation worth having.

The post I was responding to was blaming the AD for the issues we've seen in ALL SPORTS from the time that he started as AD. As if the guy should've shown up on day one and gotten into all 3 coaches faces with raised expectations and a new plan for the future.

That's B.S. That is not what I said. You brought up the last two year crap. I was talking about the state of the program now and he needs to make changes if that is policy or moving away from what the status quo has been.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I will say that I FULLY understand that I am in the overwhelming minority, not just on this board but with sports fans in general, in thinking that coaches should be given more time on the job before being fired. I think about 90% of firings in college and pro sports are far too reactionary and happen too early. I'm of the opinion that stability and consistency are vital to the health of a sports team and constant changes after 2-3 years do nothing but exacerbate the problem. See the Browns, Raiders, Bucs, Jets, Dolphins, Kings, T-Wolves, Suns, Knicks, Cavs, Miami football, Nebraska football, USC football, etc.

So by those standards of most sports fans I understand why a lot of people feel like 4 years for Dixon is more than enough time. I happen to strongly disagree with that.

If you cared to look, I have been a staunch fan of Dixon and pleaded for patience. I am in no way advocating his immediate firing. What I am lamenting is that his coaching tenure at TCU to date has been inconsistent, wracked by recruiting issues, seemingly bereft of ability, totally lacking in basic fundamentals, and crushed in spirit. There is little to build on from year to year. That isn't a formula for looking forward with positivity.

It's not like the guy was Joe Schmoe when he arrived. Perhaps it is that dreaded "potential" that is Dixon's worst enemy...

CountryFrog

If you cared to look, I have been a staunch fan of Dixon and pleaded for patience. I am in no way advocating his immediate firing. What I am lamenting is that his coaching tenure at TCU to date has been inconsistent, wracked by recruiting issues, seemingly bereft of ability, totally lacking in basic fundamentals, and crushed in spirit. There is little to build on from year to year. That isn't a formula for looking forward with positivity.

It's not like the guy was Joe Schmoe when he arrived. Perhaps it is that dreaded "potential" that is Dixon's worst enemy...
True. You haven't said he should be fired. I've probably made far too many posts in this one thread and its just become my own personal stream of consciousness at this point in response to ALL of the things that have been lamented about Dixon, not just what you've said. I'm off work and my wife and kid are out of town so I've got too much time on my hands.

This has been the strangest argument I’ve read on here in a long time that didn’t involve the overall value of grunge music. I’m not sure he’s reading his own posts at this point.

It changes because your buddy is changing the conversation. I just said he needs to do things differently. Both of you are on full defense. Good for the both of you.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
True. You haven't said he should be fired. I've probably made far too many posts in this one thread and its just become my own personal stream of consciousness at this point in response to ALL of the things that have been lamented about Dixon, not just what you've said. I'm off work and my wife and kid are out of town so I've got too much time on my hands.
At one time, I believe I called you "a jerk." That was uncalled for and beyond the pale. I do humbly apologize.

Eight

MUST bring in shooters. If we don't get better shooters into the program then we're not going to see much improvement. This years team with 2 more ~40% 3 point shooters probably wins 8-10 games.

especially when you factor in that without bane and grayer the rest of the frogs roster has shot 29% from 3 this year.

farabello has shown nice potential and i would love to see him be more aggressive look for his shot from 3 as well as when driving the basketball.

rj, pj, and diante all have to get much better and i am not sure what the frogs will be getting from this recruiting class.

the biggest areas i read about miles game needing improvement is his shooting, not sure how consistent frank is from outside, and o'bannon's track record is pretty much blank through his usc career.

hoping easley can provide some help in this area as well as possibly todd and/or pearson

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
especially when you factor in that without bane and grayer the rest of the frogs roster has shot 29% from 3 this year.

farabello has shown nice potential and i would love to see him be more aggressive look for his shot from 3 as well as when driving the basketball.

rj, pj, and diante all have to get much better and i am not sure what the frogs will be getting from this recruiting class.

the biggest areas i read about miles game needing improvement is his shooting, not sure how consistent frank is from outside, and o'bannon's track record is pretty much blank through his usc career.

hoping easley can provide some help in this area as well as possibly todd and/or pearson
I see PJ getting there before our eyes. He's getting more comfortable and more aggressive. Smith seems to struggle still, though he has a better idea of what's going on than earlier in the year. Bello didn't play nearly as much as I expected last night, maybe a matchup thing. We have talent, and more coming. I was hopeful for better this year but we're obviously not there yet.

Still... for what was predicted and for replacing 9 roster spots... not that bad. I know I'll take a beating over that but I stand by it.

Eight

I see PJ getting there before our eyes. He's getting more comfortable and more aggressive. Smith seems to struggle still, though he has a better idea of what's going on than earlier in the year. Bello didn't play nearly as much as I expected last night, maybe a matchup thing. We have talent, and more coming. I was hopeful for better this year but we're obviously not there yet.

Still... for what was predicted and for replacing 9 roster spots... not that bad. I know I'll take a beating over that but I stand by it.

very much agree with you on pj and maybe i am crazy, but he does appear to just show flashes where he can be a difference maker in the future.

the outside shot has to get better and when it does he will be lethal going to the basket with his quickness.

smith reminds me at times of lat where he shows flashes and then he absolutely disappears. i think so much of this has to do with confidence.

at times i think bello, fuller, and rj look stifled in the walk the ball up the court mentality and tcu was at their best offensive when they pushed the tempo.

i think the biggest frustration for me about this year are not specifically the losses, but the continued pattern on the same type of mistakes and the continued ineptitude in the half court offense.

really wish they would take a look at what they are doing in the off season

flyfishingfrog

very much agree with you on pj and maybe i am crazy, but he does appear to just show flashes where he can be a difference maker in the future.

the outside shot has to get better and when it does he will be lethal going to the basket with his quickness.

smith reminds me at times of lat where he shows flashes and then he absolutely disappears. i think so much of this has to do with confidence.

at times i think bello, fuller, and rj look stifled in the walk the ball up the court mentality and tcu was at their best offensive when they pushed the tempo.

i think the biggest frustration for me about this year are not specifically the losses, but the continued pattern on the same type of mistakes and the continued ineptitude in the half court offense.

really wish they would take a look at what they are doing in the off season

My only concern with pushing the tempo is we have so many turnovers now - I can’t imagine what that might lead to...

Eight

My only concern with pushing the tempo is we have so many turnovers now - I can’t imagine what that might lead to...

don't disagree that the team hasn't given any real indications they would protect the ball better at a higher tempo.

more just a feeling watching the way they move in the open court and are far more aggressive versus what happens when they stagnate for 30 seconds in the half court and something goes wrong when a player tries to force something.

guess it is one of those questions about which caliber weapon would it be better to shoot yourself in the foot with when the ultimate answer is neither