• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs Longhorns Wednesday Night Basketball

Peacefrog

Degenerate
It wasn't my exaggeration illustration it was his. I just added to it.

Look. Dixon can coach but its reboot for him year 4. Its frustrating. Other programs that would be unacceptable. I want TCU to have high standards. I can accept a rebuild by Dixon he probably has a big contract. However, how many rebuilds is TCU going to have in its sports? I hate losing.
After decades of sucking in basically everything you don’t have the patience for any mediocrity? You are setting yourself up to fail more often than not having expectations that all the programs will be title contenders every year. That’s not TCU. Hell, it’s not any program. Not one.

After decades of sucking in basically everything you don’t have the patience for any mediocrity? You are setting yourself up to fail more often than not having expectations that all the programs will be title contenders every year. That’s not TCU. Hell, it’s not any program. Not one.

I'm not saying firing anyone. I'm saying what worked yesterday isn't working today. And some things maybe that is process, etc needs to change.

CountryFrog

But Peace, maybe you don't understand. This guy HATES LOSING unlike the rest of us who all really enjoy it. So he doesn't accept mediocrity ever for any amount of time or for any reason.

DickBumpastache

The mistake was made 4 years ago when we put in all our time and effort to going after Dixon when Chris Beard was coming off a great season at Little Rock and was pretty plainly looking for a better opportunity. Hell, he took the UNLV job and then left after a couple of weeks when Tech came calling. Are you seriously telling me we couldn't land him had we tried?

Dixon's last 5 years at Pitt were extremely mediocre compared to what had happened there the previous decade. Once he lost some of his best staffers/recruiters, the program lost a lot of momentum. I think we let sentimentality play too big a role in the coaching search and as a result we're really suffering for it now.

And I will put in this proclamation now: he's not Chris Beard, but Grant McCasland at University of North Texas has a chance to be a special coach. They have improved dramatically and they will likely be even better next year. And I sincerely hope we can pry away a coach from University of North Texas should we decide he's worth it.

Wexahu

Except THIS AD has been in THIS JOB for 2 years. And he inherited incredibly successful coaches in all 3 major sports. So the idea that he should've been doing much of anything with them other than fill out their schedules and keep them well paid is 100% revisionist history.

GP and Schloss are on a different level than Dixon and it's not really close. Dixon hasn't had a finish higher than 4th in his conference in nine straight seasons now, name me one other "incredibly successful" coach who can make that claim. His last five years at Pitt he was the definition of average. Exactly .500 in conference play. 1 NCAA tournament win. I get that he had some really good years 10-15 years ago but at some point recent success has to come into play.

Even more than that though is the fact that he wanted out last year AND this team plays like it barely has a coach (and hasn't for the better part of two years now) and it's not unreasonable to suggest the AD needs to seriously consider making a change now. I'm not saying he should have been fired last year (although IMO we should have let him leave) but a re-evaluation needs to happen after every year.

Pharm Frog

GP and Schloss are on a different level than Dixon and it's not really close. Dixon hasn't had a finish higher than 4th in his conference in nine straight seasons now, name me one other "incredibly successful" coach who can make that claim. His last five years at Pitt he was the definition of average. Exactly .500 in conference play. 1 NCAA tournament win. I get that he had some really good years 10-15 years ago but at some point recent success has to come into play.

Even more than that though is the fact that he wanted out last year AND this team plays like it barely has a coach (and hasn't for the better part of two years now) and it's not unreasonable to suggest the AD needs to seriously consider making a change now. I'm not saying he should have been fired last year (although IMO we should have let him leave) but a re-evaluation needs to happen after every year.

I don’t know that we should have “let” him leave. He could have if they could have funded the buyout right? I don’t like the idea of setting aside contract terms. Just seems to me to weaken your future contracts.

Genbukan

I think a lot of fans need to seriously re-evaluate what the TCU basketball coaching job is before thinking that we could easily bring in a better coach than Jamie Dixon.

Not what you THINK the program should be or what you HOPE it might become one day but what it actually is and has been this century. Before Dixon got here, this was the basketball equivalent of Kansas in football. View it that way, and go through the list of highly successful football coaches you think want to go to Kansas.

That view seems awfully defeatist to me. TCU is not a basketball power but neither was baylor before Drew got there. And no the program hasn't had much success recently but it is a program that has won conference championships with Tubbs, and Killer and Swaim so lets not act like success is impossible here. We have everything in place for hoops success that programs like Tech, KSU and okie light have.

Dixon won't, and possibly shouldn't, be let go this year - to many years remaining on that over $3 million per year contract. But lets not stick our heads in the sand about the absolute BAD basketball, poor talent evaluations, sub par player development, incoherent offensive system and really, really bad shooting from the field AND the free throw line. There are some major flaws in this program right now and the oft repeated excuse of "youth" is far down the list of major issues.

You don't have to be a trained chef to know when a meal is rotten. And the hoops Dixon has served us the last two seasons is rancid.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I wonder if we recruited Baker? I'm guessing not.
TCU did offer him along with 19 other programs. Pretty safe to assume he only wanted to go to UT considering some of the big name programs he turned down.

Also, it’s one game. He had like 16 total points all season before last night. Let’s not have a new crown forged quite yet.

Rose Bowl

The mistake was made 4 years ago when we put in all our time and effort to going after Dixon when Chris Beard was coming off a great season at Little Rock and was pretty plainly looking for a better opportunity. Hell, he took the UNLV job and then left after a couple of weeks when Tech came calling. Are you seriously telling me we couldn't land him had we tried?

Dixon's last 5 years at Pitt were extremely mediocre compared to what had happened there the previous decade. Once he lost some of his best staffers/recruiters, the program lost a lot of momentum. I think we let sentimentality play too big a role in the coaching search and as a result we're really suffering for it now.

And I will put in this proclamation now: he's not Chris Beard, but Grant McCasland at University of North Texas has a chance to be a special coach. They have improved dramatically and they will likely be even better next year. And I sincerely hope we can pry away a coach from University of North Texas should we decide he's worth it.

Rumor was Dick that we put out feelers and was told that Beard was not interested in coming here. I can’t corroborate this just passing it along. As for McCasland I believe you’re right that he is a good young coach and has done a really good job in Denton. He is definitely one to keep an eye on.

CountryFrog

An argument can be made that NOW the AD may need to consider doing something. We can all have different opinions about what those specific changes should be but it's at least a conversation worth having.

The post I was responding to was blaming the AD for the issues we've seen in ALL SPORTS from the time that he started as AD. As if the guy should've shown up on day one and gotten into all 3 coaches faces with raised expectations and a new plan for the future.