• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs Longhorns Wednesday Night Basketball

Pharm Frog

A major part of coaching is assembling a team where each player fits a role you want them to play within a system and then coach that player to execute within that system. This team looks like they have no plan. That is 100% coaching.

Which leads me back to a question I sorta posed in an earlier thread. These teams don't even look remotely similar to the style of ball that CJD put together when he was winning ball games at Pitt. While I hear people say that the game has changed and this and that...I do wonder if CJD is actually "doing" the recruiting or has that been outsourced to some of these "coaches" with AAU connections and stuff like that. This doesn't look like it even has any of CJD's fingerprints on it.

Wexahu

Lets see if our AD is a pushover.

Ever since CDC left our teams have gone to the crapper. Dixon was a great hire till CDC left and Dixon had eyes for UCLA. TCU hasn't gotten in trouble, however it seems TCU has been on probation in football and basketball. While teams like Raplor has done well.

Leadership comes from the top. Your move JD.

I think the AD was hired to maintain the status quo. You are right though, it’s time for him to show what he’s got.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Lets see if our AD is a pushover.

Ever since CDC left our teams have gone to the crapper. Dixon was a great hire till CDC left and Dixon had eyes for UCLA. TCU hasn't gotten in trouble, however it seems TCU has been on probation in football and basketball. While teams like Raplor has done well.

Leadership comes from the top. Your move JD.
Do you think JD should just fire everyone because dixon’s team had a bad season? Fire Patterson? And Schloss? That’s not leadership that’s knee jerking. I hope you don’t have a bad year at work and a knee jerk boss.

The argument is the [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] we are bad at is the basics that should not have to be taught a the D1 level. That is recruiting misses not necessarily coaching. I think RJ has gotten better since his first year, Fuller has improved, Bello is more comfortable, Samuel has gotten better.
RJ abs Samuel are clearly better than year one. It’s not even arguable. Bane is better as well. Jury out on the test but yes Bello shows signs of improvement.

TRF51

Did Dixon pass the ball to the opposite out of bounds? I’m curious if I’m missing something

It does not take talent to have fundamentals. Fundamentals are coached and practiced day in day out. Who instructs and teaches fundamentals? Do the players? Does the coach make adjustments when noting is going right?

MTfrog5

A major part of coaching is assembling a team where each player fits a role you want them to play within a system and then coach that player to execute within that system. This team looks like they have no plan. That is 100% coaching.
I know for a fact this team has gone away from the game plan multiple times this season but Dixon only has so many players he can play and you aren’t going to take out scoring threats when you don’t have much threat anyway. Not talking about Bane with that comment either.

Eight

very disappointing loss as the opportunity was there for a second road win.

frogs now face the same question they have faced multiple times this year. how do they respond to a loss with west virginia coming to ft worth and then a quick trip to ames on tuesday.

the interesting scenario that now is a possibility is dixon has never had a team with a losing record for the season.

frogs are 14-12 with 5 games left against wvu, @ isu, baylor, @ kansas, and ou. if they win 2 of the 5 the worst they end the regular season is .500.

MTfrog5

It does not take talent to have fundamentals. Fundamentals are coached and practiced day in day out. Who instructs and teaches fundamentals? Do the players? Does the coach make adjustments when noting is going right?
No it’s the AAU coaches who don’t do [ Finebaum ] and [ Finebaum ]ty high school coaches who don’t teach. Dixon shouldn’t be spending the time that is needed to teach his players the types of passes to make in certain situations.

CountryFrog

I'm beginning to think he's done an awesome job actually with the hand he dealt himself. Maybe even miracle worker-like
This is where I'm at as well. The staff had to cobble together a roster out of almost nothing during the off-season. They didn't find any difference makers but they managed to put together a somewhat competitive Big 12 team. Going into conference play with this bunch I thought there was a pretty good chance we wouldn't win more than a couple games.

You can blame the staff for getting themselves into that position after last season in the first place but it certainly seems they've gotten pretty near the maximum out of this current group.

TRF51

No it’s the AAU coaches who don’t do [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] and [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ]ty high school coaches who don’t teach. Dixon shouldn’t be spending the time that is needed to teach his players the types of passes to make in certain situations.

So what should the coach be doing? I thought coaches were there to teach and enforce practice.

helcap

You can analyze all you want
If you shoot 16.7% on 3's 3-18 you rarely going to win. If the opponent shoots 9-15, 60% on 3's, you never are going to win

MTfrog5

Which leads me back to a question I sorta posed in an earlier thread. These teams don't even look remotely similar to the style of ball that CJD put together when he was winning ball games at Pitt. While I hear people say that the game has changed and this and that...I do wonder if CJD is actually "doing" the recruiting or has that been outsourced to some of these "coaches" with AAU connections and stuff like that. This doesn't look like it even has any of CJD's fingerprints on it.
I think this is very close to what is going on. Dixon hoping that these athletes that do come in are able to run some type of style he likes but instead he’s being forced to run which is the complete opposite of what Dixon is. Samuel would have 15 plus touches a game if he was at Pitt under Dixon. Tonight he has his man sealed and Fuller passed the ball away from him.