• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘Best job in America.’ Jerry Kill embraces new role, ready to turn TCU’s offense around

Wexahu

This is Jerry Kill's run/pass playcalling mix vs TCU's run/pass:

Kill has improved teams in the past by running the ball a lot.

Running the ball was not TCU's issue in 2019. The issue was having the worst passing offense in the B12 and one of the worst in the nation:
  • 10th of 10 in completion % (115/130 nationally in FBS football)
  • 10th of 10 in yards per attempt (111/130)
  • 9th of 10 in yards per game (90/130)
Running the ball TCU was ranked:
  • 3rd of 10 yards per rush in B12 (38/130 nationally)
  • 3rd of 10 rush yards per game in B12 (29/130)
Source: http://cfbstats.com/2019/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category02/sort03.html

Our offensive line did a decent job of run blocking. They ranked 24th in the country at line yards per carry. But much of our passing game stemmed from terrible protection from the offensive line. Our passing down sack rate ranking was 85/130 and in sacks allowed per game TCU ranked 99/130 nationally.
Sources: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/sp/overallol/2019
http://cfbstats.com/2019/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category20/sort03.html

When we attempted a pass, things just looked sloppy. Many times the WR's didn't run routes very well and they had a lot of drops. Max Duggan definitely sailed a few balls, but it looked like the QB and the WR weren't on the same page. The protection was ghastly, Max did a good job of scrambling and by no means has lead feet, for us to be that bad at allowing sacks with such a mobile QB is unforgivable. Hopefully Kill can focus on technique and make some improvements.

Interesting info. I generally think the best ways to gauge from stats how truly effective a running game is is to take out the most successful and least successful plays. Kind of get an average of the average. For example, Team A runner gets stuffed for 9 yards on 9 carries and then breaks off an 80 yard TD run so he has a 8.9 ypc average on 10 carries. Team B runner on 10 carries gets 7, 10, 6, 13, 4, 7, 15, 8, 12 and 7 yards and also averages 8.9 ypc.

The stats say they are the same but Team B is a much better running team.

AroundWorldFrog

Interesting info. I generally think the best ways to gauge from stats how truly effective a running game is is to take out the most successful and least successful plays. Kind of get an average of the average. For example, Team A runner gets stuffed for 9 yards on 9 carries and then breaks off an 80 yard TD run so he has a 8.9 ypc average on 10 carries. Team B runner on 10 carries gets 7, 10, 6, 13, 4, 7, 15, 8, 12 and 7 yards and also averages 8.9 ypc.

The stats say they are the same but Team B is a much better running team.
But Team A has a TD and Team B doesn't. So there's that.

Froggish

Meach is the wildcard.. We’ll see how much his voice is in the room. He wants to mash the gas and use the passing game to do it. Kill will have the say so but if he is honest about utilizing the smarts of his staff than he’ll know that both Meach and Sonny come from throwing backgrounds. We have to do both effectively and more than anything we have to find more efficiency and explosion in the passing game. We can’t have another year with a 53% completion rate. We need to be at 65% minimum to compete for a title.

VTech got significantly better once Kill got there but they were a run first bore to watch. Let’s pray that isn’t the case here

Eight

Meach is the wildcard.. We’ll see how much his voice is in the room. He wants to mash the gas and use the passing game to do it. Kill will have the say so but if he is honest about utilizing the smarts of his staff than he’ll know that both Meach and Sonny come from throwing backgrounds. We have to do both effectively and more than anything we have to find more efficiency and explosion in the passing game. We can’t have another year with a 53% completion rate. We need to be at 65% minimum to compete for a title.

VTech got significantly better once Kill got there but they were a run first bore to watch. Let’s pray that isn’t the case here

i have no problem with a run first offense if it is effective and the frogs win.

we tcu starts racking up 9-10 win seasons on a regular basis again we can worry about the aesthetics of the wins, but until then it is just do what you have to do to win the freaking game

i do agree that means the frogs MUST be more effective throwing the ball. way too many chances missed last year be it dropped passes, bad routes, or bad throws and max did have some brutal misses last year.

frogs don't have to throw it 40 times to be effective and i would be happy with 25-30 pass attempts a game if it was offsetting a strong run game and the frogs stopped leaving meat on the proverbial passing game bone

4th. down

i have no problem with a run first offense if it is effective and the frogs win.

we tcu starts racking up 9-10 win seasons on a regular basis again we can worry about the aesthetics of the wins, but until then it is just do what you have to do to win the freaking game

i do agree that means the frogs MUST be more effective throwing the ball. way too many chances missed last year be it dropped passes, bad routes, or bad throws and max did have some brutal misses last year.

frogs don't have to throw it 40 times to be effective and i would be happy with 25-30 pass attempts a game if it was offsetting a strong run game and the frogs stopped leaving meat on the proverbial passing game bone

All true 8 IMO, but have to go back to Darrel's quote "we're gonna dance with who brung us." Kill talks a good game but he's no offensive whiz and that stat of being 0-21 at Minn. when behind at halftime, that's what's real. He runs the ball. OU and OSU can lay some points on you in a hurry and a running game cannot overcome that against them - his record is clear on this.

It could very well be at midseason, Meach and Cumbie look at each other and say, what are we doing here?

4th. down

Weird that you've been watching so much Minnesota football so closely.

2019 Virginia Tech vs North Carolina, a big game for these 2 schools, especially with Brown as coach. I chose this game because of the importance of it and gives us a look at the VT offense in a big game as possibly a real forecast of what we might be seeing. 6 OT but VT only had 14/21 passes but 3 were for scores. A strong running game with 250 plus yds. rushing.

I think we are going to be more of a Fuente offense when he was here.

texas_sicilian

All true 8 IMO, but have to go back to Darrel's quote "we're gonna dance with who brung us." Kill talks a good game but he's no offensive whiz and that stat of being 0-21 at Minn. when behind at halftime, that's what's real. He runs the ball. OU and OSU can lay some points on you in a hurry and a running game cannot overcome that against them - his record is clear on this.

It could very well be at midseason, Meach and Cumbie look at each other and say, what are we doing here?
This is the question I still struggle with... we keep hearing Kill’s not here to install or impose his own offensive philosophy, but rather to evaluate staff and improve fundamentals. That said, if he is the “Head Coach of the Offense”, it’s hard not to fathom he will want to (or will) have an influence.

4th. down

Impressed with VT's qb(s) and skillies. A Fuente style offense gets no gripes from me.

After what we have been thru, IMO, a welcome sight. Low risk, move the chains and score TD in the red zone. We were very methodical in our offensive schemes when Fuente was here although Andy could and did, air it out on occasions successfully. Accountability, focus, and organization will help us immensely.

Hopefully we go into a huddle and Max calls the plays that are on his wristband, walks up to the line of scrimmage and calls a quick snap. This lining up, looking to the sideline for the play for about 10 seconds, lets the defense set up on us - cannot stand it. Mahomes showed us the way in the middle of the 4th. quarter when he blew the game open - went into the huddle, called the play off his wristband and quick snap - game over.

CountryFrog

2019 Virginia Tech vs North Carolina, a big game for these 2 schools, especially with Brown as coach. I chose this game because of the importance of it and gives us a look at the VT offense in a big game as possibly a real forecast of what we might be seeing. 6 OT but VT only had 14/21 passes but 3 were for scores. A strong running game with 250 plus yds. rushing.

I think we are going to be more of a Fuente offense when he was here.

Maybe but I'd be very surprised if we see much of a noticeable schematic change. I think the emphasis on change will be more from am execution and technical standpoint than a new outlook on how the entire offense should be run. I'm sure there will be some re-evaluation of blocking schemes, route combinations, personnel groupings, etc but those are not going to be things that many people will actually notice on Gameday.

4th. down

Maybe but I'd be very surprised if we see much of a noticeable schematic change. I think the emphasis on change will be more from am execution and technical standpoint than a new outlook on how the entire offense should be run. I'm sure there will be some re-evaluation of blocking schemes, route combinations, personnel groupings, etc but those are not going to be things that many people will actually notice on Gameday.

Yes, but.........."than a new outlook on how the entire offense should be run. "

Please, please dear Lord, let's don't repeat the past. It could bring on suicidal tendencies.

Eight

frogs offense doesn't have to be cutting edge to be effective.

the offense needs to be sound in scheme, well designed, and have the players execute.

kill doesn't need to be the guy with the marker at the whiteboard drawing things up and he doesn't have to be the guy making decisions in regards to play calls.

he needs to be the guy who makes sure the play design is sound, that there is a true offensive scheme and not just a group of random play calls, and he needs to make sure the offense personnel is utilized to their maximum and the game plan effectively attacks an opposing defense.

a friend from church has made a successful career out of opening and running restaurants and the guy can't cook for [ Finebaum ]. heck, i wouldn't trust him to put together a menu or pair meals with the best drink options.

what he excels at is hiring very talented people in the kitchen, running the front end of a restaurant, and handling the financial side of the house.

kill can turn this offense around without ever drawing up a play and i think that is the hope for this offense

4th. down

frogs offense doesn't have to be cutting edge to be effective.

the offense needs to be sound in scheme, well designed, and have the players execute.

kill doesn't need to be the guy with the marker at the whiteboard drawing things up and he doesn't have to be the guy making decisions in regards to play calls.

he needs to be the guy who makes sure the play design is sound, that there is a true offensive scheme and not just a group of random play calls, and he needs to make sure the offense personnel is utilized to their maximum and the game plan effectively attacks an opposing defense.

a friend from church has made a successful career out of opening and running restaurants and the guy can't cook for [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ]. heck, i wouldn't trust him to put together a menu or pair meals with the best drink options.

what he excels at is hiring very talented people in the kitchen, running the front end of a restaurant, and handling the financial side of the house.

kill can turn this offense around without ever drawing up a play and i think that is the hope for this offense

Believe this sums it up, hopefully this is what will transpire:

"he needs to be the guy who makes sure the play design is sound, that there is a true offensive scheme and not just a group of random play calls, and he needs to make sure the offense personnel is utilized to their maximum and the game plan effectively attacks an opposing defense."

ticketfrog123

Virginia tech got better once they swapped to their 3rd or 4th QB. Can’t say that was Kill.

Froggish

Virginia tech got better once they swapped to their 3rd or 4th QB. Can’t say that was Kill.

Actually Va Tech fans on their pay forum said that Kill made two critical suggestions to Fuente that made a large difference. One was the QB change and the other was for Fuente to start doing some of the play calling which made a big difference. So he actually did have a hand in the QB change.

Frog-in-law1995

After what we have been thru, IMO, a welcome sight. Low risk, move the chains and score TD in the red zone. We were very methodical in our offensive schemes when Fuente was here although Andy could and did, air it out on occasions successfully. Accountability, focus, and organization will help us immensely.

Hopefully we go into a huddle and Max calls the plays that are on his wristband, walks up to the line of scrimmage and calls a quick snap. This lining up, looking to the sideline for the play for about 10 seconds, lets the defense set up on us - cannot stand it. Mahomes showed us the way in the middle of the 4th. quarter when he blew the game open - went into the huddle, called the play off his wristband and quick snap - game over.

kinda helped having a guy 3 years away from an nfl mvp award running things, don’t you think?

ShadowFrog

Moderators
The only fact we have is TCU has to have an incredible 2020 football season. That means a top 25 season. Anything less and TCU is in real trouble now and the future.

Can't have an ugly 6-6 season scraping in for a low end bowl game. Nope, that won't work.
And I don't give too craps how young this OL is. Not an excuse, they messed up, choked 2019 away with NFL talent, now they have no choice but to win and win convincingly in 2020. They have to be WAY better than 2019.

It's going to be tough as Okie State looks real good maybe the best roster coming back. WVU will be legit and confident and home field advantage. Cal is expected to win 9 games and will have had already a warm up game with home field advantage. OU and UT will have talent and refs on there side. Baylor is a rivalry game so anything goes. SMU will have TCU as it's super bowl again to prove 2019 wasn't a fluke and they have their QB again. KState and Kansas will be deeper thus better. Iowa State will be deadlier than 2019 with an experienced returning group and QB Purdy. Texas Tech is a rival game and it's always a crazy heart attack game against them.

If TCU doesn't start well right off the bat against Cal and SMU, you know how Big 12 is with calls going the way of teams that they want to be at the top and has had early success. Baylor got on a roll and Big 12 wanted the big ratings matchups. TCU needs to win and get that top team story rolling or end having an uphill battle with any and all Big 12 teams but maybe Kansas.

Kill and crew has a big job to do. Patterson has an even bigger job. Don Sommer our third head coach has one of the most critical off-season of his career. His job might be the hardest one of all.

Failure in 2020 means jobs lost in 2021 for sure. And I know how these guys are family. We all want them to succeed. We have to meet the potential of these great recruiting classes we've been having with real results. No more oops that season slipped away or look at all those injuries type of season. No excuses in 2020/21 season.
I’m not an X & O kinda fan but I agree with 90% this.