• The KillerFrogs

2020 MLB Thread

ShreveFrog

I'll prolly check out the new Rangers ballpark when it's still springtime and hopefully the roof is open. Hate indoor baseball. And that looks terrible.

FBallFan123

Maddon supports less tech during games: “eradicate as much as you want”.

Suggests letting coaches have access during games, but not players...

Eight

anyone want to guess the writer of the article that contained this section?

"The entire charade is patently absurd. Almost every team in baseball blurs the line of cheating on a daily basis, executives, coaches and assorted major league personnel told Yahoo Sports on Tuesday. Devices like cell phones and Apple Watches are not allowed in dugouts … and iPads are, because MLB partnered with Apple to allow them as a replacement for managers’ information-stuffed binders. Meanwhile, teams position replay monitors mere feet outside of the dugout – legally – and can gain every bit the advantage Boston sought.

“Everyone can have a phone or TV right behind the dugout, two steps away,” one general manager said. “And everyone does.”

Boston’s greatest crime was the obviousness with which it employed the scheme. Generally speaking, according to sources, if someone on a team’s video staff cracks an opponent’s signals, they are run from the video room to an intermediary in the dugout and forwarded to players on the field. The Red Sox’s crime, according to sources, was sending the decoded material via Wi-Fi rather than vocal cords.

This was particularly stupid because while no rule outlaws sign stealing, the no-technology-in-the-dugout statute is well-known. Nonetheless, sources familiar with the investigation do not expect the penalties on the Red Sox to be harsh. The suggestion they will vacate victories against the Yankees is nonsensical, and the likelihood MLB will dock them draft picks is minimal. The most likely upshot is a fine for the organization, with possible suspensions for those involved in the actual scheme, according to sources.

It’s almost certain the Red Sox didn’t actually decrypt the Yankees’ signals for an extended period of time. While stealing signs is seen as an art inside the game, the emergence of technology has forced teams to develop multiple sets of signals to employ if one is decoded. One assistant GM said his team uses four or five variations. Another executive said his team changes the sequence of its signals inning by inning.

Sometimes, the signals relayed by coaches on the field are little more than dekes. One longtime manager designated a starting pitcher who wasn’t throwing that day as the conduit for all signals. The team’s bench coach would stand behind the pitcher and whisper the play. The pitcher would fold his arms or clasp his hands together or do nothing and stare right at a player. If his right hand was on his right knee, that meant something different than his left hand. To the manager’s knowledge, nobody ever broke the code, something in which he takes pride.

To most in baseball, this was a far more egregious offense, even if it isn’t nearly as titillating as the theft of signs. That’s understandable. Tradecraft is fascinating, and that it’s the Red Sox committing larceny against the Yankees only adds to that fascination. And yet it’s easy to get carried away, to believe the addition of technology to standard action somehow makes it more severe. Technology isn’t going anywhere. Banning it from dugouts won’t stop cheating. The league already has looked into increasing communication possibilities among the dugout, pitcher and catcher in hopes of limiting mound visits and hastening the pace of play, according to sources.

Technology can be scary. When Tommy Corcoran revealed the box in Philadelphia, he uncovered what felt like a big scandal. Then the umpire shrugged it off and let the game continue, unaware third-string catcher Morgan Murphy was hiding behind a whisky ad in center field, using binoculars to steal the catcher’s signs and buzzing Childs. How he did so was the question."

FBallFan123

Kinsler was on with Hardline 3.0 yesterday and pretty much said the same thing.

Yeah, I think this is probably the path forward.

Manfred took a similar position yesterday saying his personal view was they needed to "drastically restrict" player access to video.

We'll what kind of push-back it gets.

JD Martinez came out against limiting it...although he's of course in an interesting position given the Red Sox investigation is still ongoing.

https://www.mlb.com/news/rob-manfred-news-conference

On whether in-game access to technology might be restricted in 2020:

“We are having some conversations with the MLBPA about that. My own view is that we need to drastically restrict in-game access by playing personnel to video. It just has caused a lot of problems, and I think it really, across the board, restriction on that video will send a message to our fans that’s really important to our institution right now that we’re serious about cleaning this up.”

Eight

Chris Young Via Peter Gammons: "I Started The Whole Apple Watch Thing. I Got It From When I Was With The Yankees."

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog...ing-i-got-it-from-when-i-was-with-the-yankees

hmmm....so peter gammons says in a tweet that chris young said what he said in humor and he would never say that about that.

later gammons post a second tweet where he wants to reiterate that chris young never said what he said

two days later chris young is announced to be replacing joe torre as the new disciplinarian of mlb.

no greek tragedy can come close to this stuff as heath hembree's on the record comments still stand.

the astros were guilty and got caught, jim crane is a pos and looked like an idiot in his press conference and after, and the astros pr department are beyond useless, but there is so much bad kharma for so many people.

FBallFan123

Posted this in the college thread, but can probably put this here too.

The Vanderbilt pitching staff is extremely good.

It's a long way out, but looking at this tweet reminded me of the 2011 draft when UCLA had Gerrit Cole drafted #1 and Trevor Bauer went #3.