• The KillerFrogs

FW Star-Telegram Owner Declares Bankruptcy

Froginbedford

Most of you guys don't remember the Fort Worth Press.
The best part of that is it really was " The Fort Worth Press".
That paper once sent 5 sports reporters to cover a TCU football game in College Station.
Yes, the famous "Hurricane Game" between # 4 Frogs and # 8 Ags stolen by refs.

The irony of The Press being considered a Fort Worth paper is that it was owned by a national syndicate, Scripps-Howard, which poured pennies into the operation of the paper (the building it was housed in was not air conditioned, for instance)....However, it had excellent writers (Dan Jenkins being one of them)....It was a bit irreverent at times, playing up sensational angles of ordinary murder and robbery stories, in an attempt to compete with the Startlegram and Amon Carter's bottomless bank account....

JugbandFrog

Social media is not in depth reporting and journalism. Some may think that it is, but it is not.

Social media has not come close to what newspapers were before their decline. You can make the argument against the current state of newspapers because papers have declined to rubbish.

Being 55, I have witnessed when everyone had a newspaper subscription and when it was the number one advertising vehicle for local businesses. I have watched their decline and the advent of social media. Social media has not come close to replacing replacing what newspapers used to be.

But it does not matter what I say, because if one does not have the frame of reference or seeing what a paper was 15-20 years ago, it is mythology to them. Journalism is dead. Narrative agenda has taken over and no one vetts info with three credible sources before publishing that info anymore. Likes and dislikes, upvotes and downvotes is where society is currently at. So, it is all moot point now.
Anyone else remember the Pudge Rodriguez or Juan Gonzalez Startlegram Ad where he was waiting for the paper to be delivered on his front porch and would hit the paper with his bat, and he told the paper boy “throw me another one!” ? Haha. Great ad.

Tumbleweed

Hate to see the Star Telegram go under. That already is a bygone era. Can't cry over social media but I do for it forced us in a different direction, and ....pushed... us, as a society, (world wide) to be a society of daily crisis. When was the last time you used the word positive in a sentence? And, ....really meant it when you said it?

Frog-in-law1995

Hate to see the Star Telegram go under. That already is a bygone era. Can't cry over social media but I do for it forced us in a different direction, and ....pushed... us, as a society, (world wide) to be a society of daily crisis. When was the last time you used the word positive in a sentence? And, ....really meant it when you said it?

I’m positive society sucks.

Eight

I’m positive society sucks.

4Y8v7998.jpg