• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

tcudoc

The 80's were the peak of some of the best arena rock bands ever. Huge concerts by AC/DC, Van Halen, Journey, Foreigner, April Wine, Rush, Rolling Stones, The Who, Cheap Trick, Def Leppard, The Police, The Eagles, ZZ Top, Triumph, Judas Priest, Scorpions, and many others. It was a great time to be a rock music fan.
My bands/artists that are my favorites but don't get nearly as much fanfare as I think they should are the following:
Peter Gabriel (formerly of Genesis)-Such a unique sound and has enlightened me to some totally different styles of music from around the world
John Waite (also the singer for the Babys and Bad English)-The best rock and roll voice of my generation, IMHO. Look on Youtube for him covering Whole Lotta Love. Covering Zeppelin is risky, but not when you can do it better than Robert Plant.
Sting-He has reinvented himself in so many different ways and I am a huge fan of them all. He is a true talent.
Missing Persons-You may laugh at me for this one, but the musicianship of this 80's new wave band is top notch. Many of them came from Frank Zappa's band. The drummer, Terry Bozzio, is one of the top 5 drummers of all time. The other musicians are t
John Mellencamp-He had some huge hits and then faded a bit out of the spotlight. His stuff he has done since he is not in the limelight is far better than his pop mainstream stuff. Check out his album, No Better Than This. It was recorded in Mono at historic studios around the country where famous blues artists had made their marks in music. Most of the songs were recorded in one take with all musicians playing together live, just like they used to do it with all musicians gathered around one microphone. It has a unique old feel to it.
Tom Cochrane-He is the Canadian equivalent to Bruce Springsteen. Prolific songwriter and such a talented artist. His lyrics have a lot of depth. Check out Songs of a Circling Spirit, which consists of acoustic reworkings of some of his best songs. One of the songs is called Paper Tigers, so I assume that HCGP is a fan as well.

I have many more, but those are ones that I don't think get enough credit for how good they are.

Frog-in-law1995

The 80's were the peak of some of the best arena rock bands ever. Huge concerts by AC/DC, Van Halen, Journey, Foreigner, April Wine, Rush, Rolling Stones, The Who, Cheap Trick, Def Leppard, The Police, The Eagles, ZZ Top, Triumph, Judas Priest, Scorpions, and many others. It was a great time to be a rock music fan.
My bands/artists that are my favorites but don't get nearly as much fanfare as I think they should are the following:
Peter Gabriel (formerly of Genesis)-Such a unique sound and has enlightened me to some totally different styles of music from around the world
John Waite (also the singer for the Babys and Bad English)-The best rock and roll voice of my generation, IMHO. Look on Youtube for him covering Whole Lotta Love. Covering Zeppelin is risky, but not when you can do it better than Robert Plant.
Sting-He has reinvented himself in so many different ways and I am a huge fan of them all. He is a true talent.
Missing Persons-You may laugh at me for this one, but the musicianship of this 80's new wave band is top notch. Many of them came from Frank Zappa's band. The drummer, Terry Bozzio, is one of the top 5 drummers of all time. The other musicians are t
John Mellencamp-He had some huge hits and then faded a bit out of the spotlight. His stuff he has done since he is not in the limelight is far better than his pop mainstream stuff. Check out his album, No Better Than This. It was recorded in Mono at historic studios around the country where famous blues artists had made their marks in music. Most of the songs were recorded in one take with all musicians playing together live, just like they used to do it with all musicians gathered around one microphone. It has a unique old feel to it.
Tom Cochrane-He is the Canadian equivalent to Bruce Springsteen. Prolific songwriter and such a talented artist. His lyrics have a lot of depth. Check out Songs of a Circling Spirit, which consists of acoustic reworkings of some of his best songs. One of the songs is called Paper Tigers, so I assume that HCGP is a fan as well.

I have many more, but those are ones that I don't think get enough credit for how good they are.

You misspelled U2.

HFrog1999

Bro country is the music equivalent of baylor.

M0ND.gif

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I’m a little older than you guys, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but not counting the chili peppers, which are an 80s band that carried over one great album by a couple years, there are between 4 and 6 songs I would miss if all of those bands disappeared, and 3 are on the same album.
What, no Partridge Family?

Shorty

Sublime, Weezer, Candlebox, Collective Soul, Gin Blossoms, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, RHCP, The Offspring, STP, Our Lady Peace... So many great rock bands in the 90s and I could name a couple dozen more too. Oasis would definitely make my top list too.
Collective Soul and Candlebox are playing the Richardson Wildflower festival this year. It's normally good for some 90's-early 00's nostaglia.

Purp

Collective Soul and Candlebox are playing the Richardson Wildflower festival this year. It's normally good for some 90's-early 00's nostaglia.
That would be a great show. Candlebox was one of the more underrated 90s bands, IMO, and Collective Soul one of the more underappreciated. They got a pop rep bc of a few big hits, but they were better than a typical pop rock group.