• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘Best job in America.’ Jerry Kill embraces new role, ready to turn TCU’s offense around

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
‘Best job in America.’ Jerry Kill embraces new role, ready to turn TCU’s offense around

By Drew Davison

Jerry Kill and Gary Patterson first crossed paths in the early 1980s, two small-town Kansas kids aspiring to climb the college football coaching ladder.

Life was far from glamorous. They weren’t making seven-figure salaries and driving courtesy vehicles provided by universities.

“We started at the bottom, living off $250 a month in trailer houses,” Kill said. “We’re just two small-town guys from Kansas. Now here we are at TCU.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article240316081.html#storylink=cpy

4th. down

One of Drew's better articles IMO.

It appears from the article that sanity will show it's face this season on the offensive side. If Kill is effective, which it appears he might, then we can go to a decent bowl. I suspect his main focus pertaining to the offensive coaches will be to Anderson because nothing will work without an offensive line. Not sunshine pumping but things do look more promising.

We beat Cal, and the remaining season looks a lot brighter. With Sonny, Meach, and others wanting Kill to come to TCU shows that even the coaches knew the offense was in disarray.

Pharm Frog

Just spitballing here. But I have a feeling that if someone had told us in late October that the only proactive change to the coaching staff would be a move of Anderson to OL and the acquisition of Jerry Kill in an analyst role this board would have lost its collective mind.

But now it seems like there’s an abundance of wishful hoping.

Pharm Frog

One of Drew's better articles IMO.

It appears from the article that sanity will show it's face this season on the offensive side. If Kill is effective, which it appears he might, then we can go to a decent bowl. I suspect his main focus pertaining to the offensive coaches will be to Anderson because nothing will work without an offensive line. Not sunshine pumping but things do look more promising.

We beat Cal, and the remaining season looks a lot brighter. With Sonny, Meach, and others wanting Kill to come to TCU shows that even the coaches knew the offense was in disarray.

I have a slightly different take on why Sonny and Meach reached out to recruit Kill to FTW.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Just spitballing here. But I have a feeling that if someone had told us in late October that the only proactive change to the coaching staff would be a move of Anderson to OL and the acquisition of Jerry Kill in an analyst role this board would have lost its collective mind.

Hope always springs eternal...

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
A couple of things spring out:

For Kill, Franchione instilled three things that have stuck with him throughout his career — organization, discipline and detail.

That’s what he wants to bring to TCU’s offense. From blocking assignments to route running to play calling, everything has to be done correctly. He’s a perfectionist. Nothing will go unnoticed.

“We’ve got to be technically sound and disciplined,” Kill said. “That’s what I’m here for. I can come back and come out of practice and watch film and say, ‘Hey, this isn’t what we want.’ I’m one of those guys that it’s got to be right step, right foot, got to make the right call. I’ll go over everything. I’ll drive them crazy, but that’s what Gary does. We’re perfectionists."

Oh, is that music to the ears of those who have fulminated about the offense being a blundering mass of panicked ants...

“He is the type of guy who will be brutally honest with you and won’t sugarcoat the situation.”

That's not just music, that's damned near a symphony!

So, there is reason to have hope. It is plain that those who needed to notice that there are problems have indeed noticed that there are problems. Their remedy seems to be just what many Doctors recommended. Whether this greatly improves matters is still up in the air, but at least somebody is making the right noises...

PO Frog

Lol can’t wait for the prediction thread. 11-1 will probably be the most popular.

Hopefully, this overt enthusiasm will serve as a precursor to a marked improvement in our 2020

offensive performance. Certainly not lacking in offensive evaluation with Kill, Cumbie and Meacham

in attendance.

Putt4Purple

How has J. Kill improved offenses in the past? Has he improved the running game? Passing game? Is it the general leadership and organization of a strong willed coach who brings structure and responsibility to both players and coaches?
Anyone have knowledge of what to expect?

Eight

Kill will demand toughness, organization, accountability, and execution in the offense. It was just going nowhere before. Also with Meacham there will be a wealth of new ideas that Kill will allow to surface. But can also see a tougher running game to open things up and help keep QB healthy.

i agree that it appears kill will indeed work to bring some structure to the offensive side of the ball.

not as sure on the "new" ideas from meacham, not saying he can't bring something to the offense, but this was the part of the off season that gets a bit confusing to me.

reminds me of friend's father who was married 8 times to 6 different women with marriage #1, 3, and 7 to the same woman.

do hope that we see a structured run game as well better execution from the entire offense

Last edited:

4th. down

i agree that it appears kill will indeed work to bring some structure to the offensive side of the ball.

not as sure on the "new" ideas from meacham, not saying he can't bring something to the offense, but this was the part of the off season that gets a bit confusing to me.

reminds me of friends father who was married 8 times to 6 different women with marriage #1, 3, and 7 to the same woman.

do hope that we see a structured run game as well better execution from the entire offense

"reminds me of friends father who was married 8 times to 6 different women with marriage #1, 3, and 7 to the same woman."

^^^^^^^

Latest posts