• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Salfrog

Tier 1
I lost my granddad last Thursday. I was a pall bearer along with my 2 cousins (his “grand boys”).

My grandfather retired from the US Army as a full colonel after 40 years of service. More importantly, he was grandad. The man never turned up the volume on the TV to tune us out or put anyone off. He made everyone feel like they were the most important person in his life. He set anything and everything aside to treat you special. He defined “in sickness and in health” for the years that my grandmother couldn’t take care of herself. That alone would’ve made him a hero even if he wasn’t a full colonel.

He skateboarded, he shagged balls, he camped, hunted, fished, and did it all for us. He broke his glasses and scratched his face up more times than I can count. I even broke his nose on a pop fly he went to catch. He took the blame for everything. He told my cousin to point the finger at him for getting muddy in a creek many year ago after my grandmother scolded him. “grandad pushed me in the creek!” Another time after he went inside to bandage himself up after skateboarding with us, “grandma says I can’t skateboard anymore.”

So many memories.

we had a military service at the cemetery where they covered his casket with the flag, played taps, and sent him off with a 21 gun salute. Myself and my cousins received a shell casing.

I’ve been through the loss of a best friend, the loss of other loved ones, I have gone months and months without seeing my child while fighting for custody many years ago...

I’ve never felt my heart physically ache the way that it has since last Thursday. He went nearly 10 years without my grandmother. I couldn’t imagine how difficult that must’ve been. I’m in the “would’ve, could’ve, should’ve” stage of grief right now.

He was my role model, my hero and he hung the moon to me.

Until I see you again, grandad....

So sorry for your loss. Your grandfather sounds like a great man. Always hold on to all of those memories, and never stop telling his story. That way he will always be alive in your heart.

nwlafrog

So sorry for your loss. Your grandfather sounds like a great man. Always hold on to all of those memories, and never stop telling his story. That way he will always be alive in your heart.

Thank you. A few things that stick out that I didn’t mention. I never once heard him curse and I never once saw him get angry. The man just had love and kindness flowing through him. I remember asking him when I was a little boy, “grandad, why don’t you ever say bad words or get mad?” He told me that he wasn’t always that way. I find that hard to believe. My uncle and my mother never recall him ever being angry or cursing. I wish my kids could say the same. They only have a small sample of my life compared to his.

He set the bar so incredibly high on how to love and treat your wife. How to set an example for your children and how to love and respect your fellow man.

nwlafrog

So many people from his church (I spent a lot of time in Durant) came to me and said that he always talked about me coming to town and staying with him and how proud he was of me. It was so hard to hear, but I was also happy to hear the stories.

One man in particular who I’ve known my entire life from the church of Christ in Durant and was an honorary pallbearer told me, “your granddaddy served everybody else except himself until his last breath” “He was an example of what Christ calls us to be”

He hit the nail on the head.

I just don’t know how I can fill those shoes

netty2424

So many people from his church (I spent a lot of time in Durant) came to me and said that he always talked about me coming to town and staying with him and how proud he was of me. It was so hard to hear, but I was also happy to hear the stories.

One man in particular who I’ve known my entire life from the church of Christ in Durant and was an honorary pallbearer told me, “your granddaddy served everybody else except himself until his last breath” “He was an example of what Christ calls us to be”

He hit the nail on the head.

I just don’t know how I can fill those shoes
Sounds like a great man!

But don’t go around trying to fill anyone else’s shoes, those are theirs. Just keep doing you and being a good dad to the kiddos!

Purp

I lost my granddad last Thursday. I was a pall bearer along with my 2 cousins (his “grand boys”).

My grandfather retired from the US Army as a full colonel after 40 years of service. More importantly, he was grandad. The man never turned up the volume on the TV to tune us out or put anyone off. He made everyone feel like they were the most important person in his life. He set anything and everything aside to treat you special. He defined “in sickness and in health” for the years that my grandmother couldn’t take care of herself. That alone would’ve made him a hero even if he wasn’t a full colonel.

He skateboarded, he shagged balls, he camped, hunted, fished, and did it all for us. He broke his glasses and scratched his face up more times than I can count. I even broke his nose on a pop fly he went to catch. He took the blame for everything. He told my cousin to point the finger at him for getting muddy in a creek many year ago after my grandmother scolded him. “grandad pushed me in the creek!” Another time after he went inside to bandage himself up after skateboarding with us, “grandma says I can’t skateboard anymore.”

So many memories.

we had a military service at the cemetery where they covered his casket with the flag, played taps, and sent him off with a 21 gun salute. Myself and my cousins received a shell casing.

I’ve been through the loss of a best friend, the loss of other loved ones, I have gone months and months without seeing my child while fighting for custody many years ago...

I’ve never felt my heart physically ache the way that it has since last Thursday. He went nearly 10 years without my grandmother. I couldn’t imagine how difficult that must’ve been. I’m in the “would’ve, could’ve, should’ve” stage of grief right now.

I've been there a couple years ago with a grandpa I felt the same way about. I know that grief well and it sucks, but you can't let it overwhelm all the amazing memories and influences. I'll pray for you and your family. Sorry to hear the news.

MTfrog5

So many memories.

That’s a loss that you can never be prepared for. I’m probably going to have one in my granddad sooner rather than later. Sorry about your loss.

HFrog1999

Thanks to today’s alignment of the Earth, Sun and Moon, you can drink as much as you want without falling down

tenor.gif

Mean Purple

So many memories.

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like a great man who had a life he could hang a hat on.

JugbandFrog

My neighbor is none other than former San Antonio Mayor Henry Cisneros. I hadn’t met him in the 6 weeks I lived her thus far until today, when I came around the corner while walking my dog and my dang ol’ dog just started barking furiously at him. It scared the [ Finebaum ] out of him. Papers flying in the air. Dang near gave him a heart attack.

Now that is a howdy neighbor he’ll never forget.

HFrog1999

My neighbor is none other than former San Antonio Mayor Henry Cisneros. I hadn’t met him in the 6 weeks I lived her thus far until today, when I came around the corner while walking my dog and my dang ol’ dog just started barking furiously at him. It scared the [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] out of him. Papers flying in the air. Dang near gave him a heart attack.

Now that is a howdy neighbor he’ll never forget.

Smart Dog

HFrog1999

I don’t know what to do.

My wife decided to try walking around the neighborhood by herself on Saturday. She wasn’t gone 5 minutes before gunfire started from the same direction she was shot from.

We haven’t heard gunfire in months but the one time my wife tries to venture outside, some neighbor decides to start shooting.

She called the cops, of course by the time they arrived the shooting had stopped.

We probably should’ve moved. However we didn’t want to uproot our sons. We ended up spending a lot of money on our house to try and make my wife more comfortable. Plus, there’s never a guarantee that a new house won’t be near gunfire or safer. At least in our current house the neighbor promises never to allow shooting on his property again and all of the other neighboring properties have been notified of our shootings and the danger of shooting towards our neighborhood.

MTfrog5

I don’t know what to do.

My wife decided to try walking around the neighborhood by herself on Saturday. She wasn’t gone 5 minutes before gunfire started from the same direction she was shot from.

We haven’t heard gunfire in months but the one time my wife tries to venture outside, some neighbor decides to start shooting.

She called the cops, of course by the time they arrived the shooting had stopped.

We probably should’ve moved. However we didn’t want to uproot our sons. We ended up spending a lot of money on our house to try and make my wife more comfortable. Plus, there’s never a guarantee that a new house won’t be near gunfire or safer. At least in our current house the neighbor promises never to allow shooting on his property again and all of the other neighboring properties have been notified of our shootings and the danger of shooting towards our neighborhood.
Unreal. Sucks and I will always be blown away how they handled your situation

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I don’t know what to do.

Ok, if the county is still circling wagons about this [ Finebaum ], my next call would be the Tx Rangers (ask for Odor) or an investigative news outfit with one of the local stations.

Call The Ones for Justice (CBS 11). They'll fix their wagon if it's a story they pick up.

jake102

Based on the very limited knowledge I have, I'd move. Surely there are other neighborhoods in the same school zoning? You may need to end up in a type of home you don't really want to be (super suburban master planned type thing), but you won't ever have to worry about it again outside of a crazy event.