• The KillerFrogs

Basketball Program is back to Trent Johnson era levels

Eight

Here’s some impressive stats for you Dixon fans.

-Dixon is now 6-25 against ranked opponents and TCU is now 22-166 against ranked teams. We’re also now 2-88 against ranked opponents on the road.

-2-6 against Tech

Neat.

why would those supporting dixon be concerned about the frogs all-time record against ranked opponents on the road?

additionally, normally if you are trying to point out flaws you don't provide the numbers that show the coach in question is responsible for over 25% of the programs ALL TIME wins against ranked opponents

bp4tcu

why would those supporting dixon be concerned about the frogs all-time record against ranked opponents on the road?

additionally, normally if you are trying to point out flaws you don't provide the numbers that show the coach in question is responsible for over 25% of the programs ALL TIME wins against ranked opponents
The fact he’s responsible for 25% and we’re where we are even furthers the point he’s not a good coach. It’s not his fault we’ve always been bad, but it is his fault we’re still bad.

Wexahu

Very curious how the guy who defends the football coach at any and every turn against even the most mild of criticisms would lash out at the basketball coach who, even with this years struggles, has brought us one of the most successful 4 year runs in program history.

For the record, I think wanting either Gary or Dixon gone is fairly ridiculous at this point. Neither guy is perfect or beyond reproach though and both have had a rough last couple seasons.

Besides the fact that he is far and away the highest paid coach TCU has ever had, Dixon has had more resources at his disposal than any coach in TCU history. The "most successful 4-year run in program history" is just a deflection. Besides, it hasn't been all that successful. A 40% conference winning percentage, 1 NCAA tournament appearance (when 68 teams make the tournament) and 0 NCAA tournament wins in 4 years. And most importantly, zero program momentum. Seems like it's going backwards.

CountryFrog

the interesting thing to me country on all three is that they came to tcu with some degree of skill shooting the basketball.

bane and noi both showed good touch and a nice shot all across the offensive end and fisher was effective inside the arc his freshman year and added the outside game as his career progressed.

there is hope for the younger players to develop their shooting, but it does concern me a bit the number who have struggled early on with shooting the ball even inside the 3 point line.
No doubt. Farabello is the only young guy I have a high degree of confidence in becoming a consistent shooter. Fuller shows flashes so he could certainly get there too.

Other than that we can only hope that a couple of the new guys will be able to make outside shots. I think RJ is destined to be a streaky shooter who still hovers around 30% from 3 for a season. If he can just get better as a ball handler and decision maker then he can still be an effective weapon for us IF there are some shooters on the floor with him.

MTfrog5

No doubt. Farabello is the only young guy I have a high degree of confidence in becoming a consistent shooter. Fuller shows flashes so he could certainly get there too.

Other than that we can only hope that a couple of the new guys will be able to make outside shots. I think RJ is destined to be a streaky shooter who still hovers around 30% from 3 for a season. If he can just get better as a ball handler and decision maker then he can still be an effective weapon for us IF there are some shooters on the floor with him.
Think Fuller will be fine once the game slows down for him. Has a decent shot but is a perfect example at being able to do anything he wanted in high school because of his athleticism

Eight

The fact he’s responsible for 25% and we’re where we are even furthers the point he’s not a good coach. It’s not his fault we’ve always been bad, but it is his fault we’re still bad.

personally, i would have gone with something like the frogs in 11 conference games are shooting 38% from the floor, 31% from 3, and 36 more tunovers than assists, but you sell your case how you want

CountryFrog

Besides the fact that he is far and away the highest paid coach TCU has ever had, Dixon has had more resources at his disposal than any coach in TCU history. The "most successful 4-year run in program history" is just a deflection. Besides, it hasn't been all that successful. A 40% conference winning percentage, 1 NCAA tournament appearance (when 68 teams make the tournament) and 0 NCAA tournament wins in 4 years. And most importantly, zero program momentum. Seems like it's going backwards.
Never realized you weren't a fan of Dixon. You hide it so well on here.

CountryFrog

personally, i would have gone with something like the frogs in 11 conference games are shooting 38% from the floor, 31% from 3, and 36 more tunovers than assists, but you sell your case how you want
In defense of the lack of assists, it's very hard to get many of those when no one is making shots.

CountryFrog

How do you possibly beat a team by 11 and then lose to them by 46? That’s ABSOLUTELY coaching!

looks like we may need a Jerry Kill up in here to teach offense....
That's funny. So now the fact that we beat Tech earlier in the year is actually more proof that Dixon isn't a good coach? A good coach would've just lost both of the games?

Eight

agree on farablello and i really wish he was more aggressive with his shot and taking the ball to the basket in early offense situations.

not sure how you they would have gotten him more minutes early, but i really do wish they had gotten fuller more minutes in the non conference games. he shows flashes of some great potential and he threw a bounce pass to a cutting bane against kansas that shows the vision and creativity this team is really lacking.

rj has gotten better, but i am not sure he will ever be a consistent shooter from the outside. that doesn't mean he can't be an effective scorer when put in the right situation and not asked to carry the load. one concern i have for next year is they look to him to take up bane's scoring role.

i really think all three would benefit from the frogs pushing the tempo and getting them in the open floor where they can take advantage of their natural skills and abilities.

watching rj in this half court offense at times reminds me of the guy in a ferrari stuck in the city traffice.

bp4tcu

I don’t make up the numbers, I just report them.

CountryFrog

Well, plenty of people are suggesting the main problems are in game coaching and recruiting.
I was just poking fun at the comment. I understand where you're coming from.

People will always criticize in game coaching in every sport because they want to think that they know just as much or more than the guy who gets paid millions of dollars to do the job. And of course fans will always have the advantage because they're in a spot where everything the coach does that doesn't work out they can just sit back and say that the coach should've done the other thing.

Wexahu

i really think all three would benefit from the frogs pushing the tempo and getting them in the open floor where they can take advantage of their natural skills and abilities.

Maybe that would help, hard to tell. But the head coach likes to micro-manage the hell out of every move made on the floor, I don't think freeing up the players and letting them run and play basketball with their natural abilities over any kind of extended period of time is in his DNA.

CountryFrog

agree on farablello and i really wish he was more aggressive with his shot and taking the ball to the basket in early offense situations.

not sure how you they would have gotten him more minutes early, but i really do wish they had gotten fuller more minutes in the non conference games. he shows flashes of some great potential and he threw a bounce pass to a cutting bane against kansas that shows the vision and creativity this team is really lacking.

rj has gotten better, but i am not sure he will ever be a consistent shooter from the outside. that doesn't mean he can't be an effective scorer when put in the right situation and not asked to carry the load. one concern i have for next year is they look to him to take up bane's scoring role.

watching rj in this half court offense at times reminds me of the guy in a ferrari stuck in the city traffice.
Agree that we need more fast break baskets. Fuller is certainly good on the break. RJ is great on the break if he's not the one with the ball making the decision. Hopefully he can get better in that area. I also think Smith can be valuable in that area but he needs to run to the rim instead of to the corner 3.

Eight

Maybe that would help, hard to tell. But the head coach likes to micro-manage the hell out of every move made on the floor, I don't think freeing up the players and letting them run and play basketball with their natural abilities over any kind of extended period of time is in his DNA.

maybe, but running a half court offense based upon isolation and having players beat defenders off the drive can only work if the players act decisively and correctly read the floor.

in effect he is giving control to them to make the right decisions in the half court and i do think to some extent he would like to see farabello take control of the offense. players who have confidence and don't shy away get "rewarded" in this offense be it alex, davis or rj this year.

frogs were getting drubbed last night and i would have liked to see a bit of a trap on the defensive end trying to force turnovers and get down the floor before tech got set up in their half court defense

CountryFrog

You clearly weren't watching the team play the last 2 years with Fisher and Robinson doing the ball handling and Noi and Bane on the wings. When he has had the weapons then he's allowed them to play fast and take lots of shots. We simply don't have those kind of players right now except for Bane. Dennis tries sometimes to push the ball and almost always results in something bad happening. RJ is just as likely to fall down or dribble the ball off his foot in the open floor as he is to make a play. Farabello hasn't had a ton of opportunities so I'm not totally sure what he can do.

And certainly if you want to blame the coach for the fact that we don't have better players then that's valid.