• The KillerFrogs

Basketball Program is back to Trent Johnson era levels

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
At least Trent Johnson had the excuse of inheriting a dead program that never had a winning record in the MWC and playing in a high school gym for 1.5 seasons.

All the momentum this program had in 2017 and 2018 is down the [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ]ter.

I think a coaching change after this year is too hasty but it has to be NCAA tournament or bust next year or a change needs to be made. This program can't afford another season like this, our fanbase isn't basketball crazy enough and really only shows up when the team is winning.

I said at the time and I will say it again, we should have just let Dixon go to UCLA, I thought bringing him back would turn into a lame duck situation and lower the program's perception.
So his KenPom is through the roof?

hiphopfroggy

This young team desperately needs a point and a pf. Not sure what happened with running all those players off last year but I like the guys coming in next year.

ShreveFrog

The UCLA thing is hindsight. How many people wanted to let JD go back when it was going on? I don't remember many.

Gotta ride with JD now ($$$) and hope new blood helps next year.

Meantime, "Play ball!" in 3 days!

Eight

This young team desperately needs a point and a pf. Not sure what happened with running all those players off last year but I like the guys coming in next year.

this is not a young team and it hasn't been a young team all season.

if has been a team with multiple newcomers, but consider that there are 3 seniors on this team that play regularly (bane, dennis, & grayer), you have two red-shirt sophomores who are in their 3rd year in this program (nembhard & samuel).

that is 5 guys who have at least 3 years in a college program so they should have an idea about what is expected to win at this level of college basketball. they should have certain basic skills to be effective.

ledee is a sophomore and spent time last year in a major college program. farabello, fuller, & smith are true freshman and this is all new to them.

the decisions at time made by this team in large part aren't because this is a learning experience.

hiphopfroggy

this is not a young team and it hasn't been a young team all season.

if has been a team with multiple newcomers, but consider that there are 3 seniors on this team that play regularly (bane, dennis, & grayer), you have two red-shirt sophomores who are in their 3rd year in this program (nembhard & samuel).

that is 5 guys who have at least 3 years in a college program so they should have an idea about what is expected to win at this level of college basketball. they should have certain basic skills to be effective.

ledee is a sophomore and spent time last year in a major college program. farabello, fuller, & smith are true freshman and this is all new to them.

the decisions at time made by this team in large part aren't because this is a learning experience.

Bane is the only meaningful senior, while Dennis and Grayer are transfers that were needed at the pg and pf positions that I mentioned we needed bodies. They are the desperate attempt to fill in the void of the players that were run off. They didn't develop through Dixon or TCU and quite frankly shouldn't be on any P5 roster. Yet they start at TCU. Should be Davis and one of Barlow, Mayen or Alok. That would be a significantly improved team.
However help is coming in the form of Frank, Lampkin and Miles.

Eight

Bane is the only meaningful senior, while Dennis and Grayer are transfers that were needed at the pg and pf positions that I mentioned we needed bodies. They are the desperate attempt to fill in the void of the players that were run off. They didn't develop through Dixon or TCU and quite frankly shouldn't be on any P5 roster. Yet they start at TCU. Should be Davis and one of Barlow, Mayen or Alok. That would be a significantly improved team.
However help is coming in the form of Frank, Lampkin and Miles.

i don 't disagree with the idea that this roster has big holes be it no real 4 on the roster or trying to force a back up shooting guard from uta into the starting point guard role.

my contention was this is a young team and it isn't as regardless of how good you are in terms of talent you should have a back understanding of what you can and can't do in college basketball

in regards to the idea that they didn't develop through dixon 's program that frogs have 3 guys on their current roster who have had that experience. bane, nembhard, and samuel. the results are mixed and part of that to me is they don't really fit in what they are being asked to do on the offensive end.

i have watched lampkin play a couple of times and i am really curious how he will fit in this offense.

one point i do disagree with is the idea this team would be significantly better with one of barlow, mayen, or alok.

aside from being tall i don't see where any of those three clearly would make this a better team. the what it guy who would is the 4 that the frogs lost to smu.

jake102

I mean - it's pretty obvious that Dixon can't recruit at this point. Or the things he places value on are not the same that other coaches place value on. I think "shooting" is probably last on our recruiting checklist, it's insane. I only watched the first half but it's not like they were a ton of bad looks, we just missed everything (like most games). At some point you need guys that can pop and put the ball in the basket. Bane is the only guy, Grayer and Farabello when they are wide open. Much like Reagor with our QB play, you have to wonder what kind of success Bane would have with a half decent team around him.

CountryFrog

I mean - it's pretty obvious that Dixon can't recruit at this point. Or the things he places value on are not the same that other coaches place value on. I think "shooting" is probably last on our recruiting checklist, it's insane. I only watched the first half but it's not like they were a ton of bad looks, we just missed everything (like most games). At some point you need guys that can pop and put the ball in the basket. Bane is the only guy, Grayer and Farabello when they are wide open. Much like Reagor with our QB play, you have to wonder what kind of success Bane would have with a half decent team around him.
The lack of shooting on this year's team is certainly the most valid complaint against the staff.

In their defense, though, we've had some terrific shooters recently. Just last year with Fisher, Noi, and Bane those were all 3 great shooters. Unfortunately Fisher and Noi didn't work out in the long term for a variety of reasons. Same for Davis who was a solid shooter. So now this is what we're left with.

hiphopfroggy

i don 't disagree with the idea that this roster has big holes be it no real 4 on the roster or trying to force a back up shooting guard from uta into the starting point guard role.

my contention was this is a young team and it isn't as regardless of how good you are in terms of talent you should have a back understanding of what you can and can't do in college basketball

in regards to the idea that they didn't develop through dixon 's program that frogs have 3 guys on their current roster who have had that experience. bane, nembhard, and samuel. the results are mixed and part of that to me is they don't really fit in what they are being asked to do on the offensive end.

i have watched lampkin play a couple of times and i am really curious how he will fit in this offense.

one point i do disagree with is the idea this team would be significantly better with one of barlow, mayen, or alok.

aside from being tall i don't see where any of those three clearly would make this a better team. the what it guy who would is the 4 that the frogs lost to smu.

Yep, Bane is the only upperclassman and we dont have a PF or a PG.
I think the team would be better with a PF, a PG and more upperclassman.

CountryFrog

Very curious how the guy who defends the football coach at any and every turn against even the most mild of criticisms would lash out at the basketball coach who, even with this years struggles, has brought us one of the most successful 4 year runs in program history.

For the record, I think wanting either Gary or Dixon gone is fairly ridiculous at this point. Neither guy is perfect or beyond reproach though and both have had a rough last couple seasons.

Eight

The lack of shooting on this year's team is certainly the most valid complaint against the staff.

In their defense, though, we've had some terrific shooters recently. Just last year with Fisher, Noi, and Bane those were all 3 great shooters. Unfortunately Fisher and Noi didn't work out in the long term for a variety of reasons. Same for Davis who was a solid shooter. So now this is what we're left with.

the interesting thing to me country on all three is that they came to tcu with some degree of skill shooting the basketball.

bane and noi both showed good touch and a nice shot all across the offensive end and fisher was effective inside the arc his freshman year and added the outside game as his career progressed.

there is hope for the younger players to develop their shooting, but it does concern me a bit the number who have struggled early on with shooting the ball even inside the 3 point line.

bp4tcu

Here’s some impressive stats for you Dixon fans.

-Dixon is now 6-25 against ranked opponents and TCU is now 22-166 against ranked teams. We’re also now 2-88 against ranked opponents on the road.

-2-6 against Tech

Neat.