• The KillerFrogs

Two rules for coaches

0B5CD6C2-F309-4CF4-953F-4AFEEACB38DB.gif
I guess everyone agrees about not going for 2 before 4th qtr

Eight

Actually, one each for baseball, football coaches.
Baseball
Always bunt in the early to middle innings (situational in late innings) no matter who is up to bat with runners on first and second and ZERO outs
Football
NEVER go for 2 before the 4th quarter.
That is all.

your thoughts on when an xfl coach should go for 3?

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
If they're playing straight up in the field, and you have a hitter of any competence, I despise bunting. Spike would tell you, we've had spirited discussions about it. Swing away, I want crooked numbers.

If they're playing straight up in the field, and you have a hitter of any competence, I despise bunting. Spike would tell you, we've had spirited discussions about it. Swing away, I want crooked numbers.
I despise not trading an out, with no outs, for putting TWO runners in scoring position. I see double play your way. But of course you play hunches and go against this at times depending on the hitter as you stated. But neither way is absolute all of the time. I would never always bunt with runners on first and second with ZERO outs in innings 1-7.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Bunting. As with all things, it depends...

Against the shift? Well, is the batter a good bunter? Is he quick on his feet and can reach the bag swiftly? Is the catcher possessed of catlike reflexes and can sling the ball from halfway up the 3rd baseline and get the runner?

1st and 2nd, nobody out? See above. Swinging away into a GIDP drives a stake through the heart of any rally, though...

It's all situational. Surprise is always a good thing, and keeping your opponents guessing is desirable.

I despise not trading an out, with no outs, for putting TWO runners in scoring position. I see double play your way. But of course you play hunches and go against this at times depending on the hitter as you stated. But neither way is absolute all of the time. I would never always bunt with runners on first and second with ZERO outs in innings 1-7.

Against the shift? Well, is the batter a good bunter? Is he quick on his feet and can reach the bag swiftly? Is the catcher possessed of catlike reflexes and can sling the ball from halfway up the 3rd baseline and get the runner?

1st and 2nd, nobody out? See above. Swinging away into a GIDP drives a stake through the heart of any rally, though...

It's all situational. Surprise is always a good thing, and keeping your opponents guessing is desirable.
As OP I have two comments. First, baseball, folks have added "against a shift" and although that is not my first and second with no outs point, I regard it as a subset of the question and for the life of me I cannot figure out why MLB players cannot end this shift nonsense by bunting.
Second, football, this has been my point since the 1981 TCU football game at Tech. TCU was trailing 32-9 at the half of a game that would end in a 39-39 tie. I was at that game and saw F.A. continue to go for two after every TD in the comeback tie (TCU beats Texas Tech, 39-39?). But to be honest, during the game I felt it was the correct call seeing how far behind we were. I think they called off the 2 after the third straight unsuccessful try and just kicked EPs after that. After the game I thought had we just kicked the PAT just once we would have won the game. The OU game a few years back just reinforced my philosophy.

Moose Stuff

Wow. Coming from someone I know knows baseball and makes a living as such I would like you to convince me why. I doubt you can,, but I am on board to listen. This seems to be a personal philosophy with baseball coaches (and fans) when in my mind (discloser: had a baseball coach who insisted on this and I agree) it is solid strategy. OK, make your case. Again, I respect what you do so I value your input. But to just make a blanket statement like you did in no way comes close to convincing me despite your upbringing and background. Having said all that I guess you could have been joking

I’m not trying to convince you. I hate bunts. Just my opinion. I’ll make an exception for NL pitchers and guys who are just truly awful hitters. So not literally never but close to it.

Eight

how much in the decision to bunt or not to move the runner factors in that will harris has just been brought into the game for the 47th game in a row

Planks

Football
NEVER go for 2 before the 4th quarter.
That is all.

This might be a good general rule of thumb, but I can definitely see exceptions to the rule.

Consider the following scenario. You are in a defensive struggle. Your defense is playing well but your offense is playing terribly. You are down 14-6 midway through the 3rd quarter. Your defense intercepts the ball and returns it for a touchdown.

Why not go for the 2? The potential marginal benefit of tying it up 14-14 vs being down 14-13 outweighs the potential marginal cost of being down 14-12 vs only being down 14-13.

FinanceFrog

id add add a few more things to the list:
-dont tape your fingers
-don’t cover up rape
-don’t cover up murder
-don’t say you admire hitler
-don’t order sex toys off of the internet your school office

Billy Clyde

I can almost agree to rarely bunting but to say never like Moose is wrong. Baseball is possibly the most situational sport of all sports so saying never is not correct thinking. Like in the Romeo Void song, "Never say never."

I saw them as the opening act for U2 in '83. First time I had ever laid eyes on her. As she's singing that song I'm thinking, "Yeah, I'm saying never."

As OP I have two comments. First, baseball, folks have added "against a shift" and although that is not my first and second with no outs point, I regard it as a subset of the question and for the life of me I cannot figure out why MLB players cannot end this shift nonsense by bunting.
Second, football, this has been my point since the 1981 TCU football game at Tech. TCU was trailing 32-9 at the half of a game that would end in a 39-39 tie. I was at that game and saw F.A. continue to go for two after every TD in the comeback tie (TCU beats Texas Tech, 39-39?). But to be honest, during the game I felt it was the correct call seeing how far behind we were. I think they called off the 2 after the third straight unsuccessful try and just kicked EPs after that. After the game I thought had we just kicked the PAT just once we would have won the game. The OU game a few years back just reinforced my philosophy.
If in the first, two on and no outs, you have your three hole guy up. He should not be bunting or else not batting third IMO.
I guess I meant overall as a rule of thumb. But in this situation your boy Soggy Burrito would bunt....why are my reply posts doubling like this? I just wanted to reply with Top's comment.

I saw them as the opening act for U2 in '83. First time I had ever laid eyes on her. As she's singing that song I'm thinking, "Yeah, I'm saying never."
That chick rocks. I would have loved to have seen them in person. And obviously I feel the same way about U2.