• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Billy Clyde

They knew he needed lots of rehab. They felt ok with that having SR. Complete failure in my book.

Boo this take. Honoring his offer, and the fact that SC and others went to visit him in the hospital, was some of the classiest stuff I can recall TCU ever doing relative to recruiting, and I was proud of that decision. MMQB stuff to 2nd-guess them for doing the right thing by him.

texas_sicilian

He absolutely is a great recruiter. What you’re pointing out is that he might not be a great evaluator or QB coach.

I will say I have a real hard time faulting him for Rogers not panning out.
Rogers? 100% Agree. Robinson? While you shouldn’t fault him on the upfront assessment, he gave him waaay to much leash when it became obvious it was time to course correct.

McFroggin

Boo this take. Honoring his offer, and the fact that SC and others went to visit him in the hospital, was some of the classiest stuff I can recall TCU ever doing relative to recruiting, and I was proud of that decision. MMQB stuff to 2nd-guess them for doing the right thing by him.

And CGP is doing the nice thing by giving Cumbie more time to figure out the offense. There is no shortage of kindness on our staff. We just need to accept that it comes with a price - we will never win a championship with this mentality. Big schools practically run off non-producing 4-5* players as they replace dead weight with more 4-5* potential every year. We don’t do that either. I’m not advocating for it, but I am accepting that TCU is ok with sporadic years of playing in the Big12 championship game as success.

Billy Clyde

And CGP is doing the nice thing by giving Cumbie more time to figure out the offense. There is no shortage of kindness on our staff. We just need to accept that it comes with a price - we will never win a championship with this mentality. Big schools practically run off non-producing 4-5* players as they replace dead weight with more 4-5* potential every year. We don’t do that either. I’m not advocating for it, but I am accepting that TCU is ok with sporadic years of playing in the Big12 championship game as success.

To my knowledge, JR wasn't getting paid a $Million per year while he was not producing. I see that as a bit different than a personnel decision on a non-producing coach.

Even if you want to look at the JR decision in the most calculating terms, then you'd be foolish to reject what would be one of your highest-rated recruits ever at any position, much less at QB, because if he does fulfill his potential, you've passed on a program-changing player.

McFroggin

To my knowledge, JR wasn't getting paid a $Million per year while he was not producing. I see that as a bit different than a personnel decision on a non-producing coach.

Even if you want to look at the JR decision in the most calculating terms, then you'd be foolish to reject what would be one of your highest-rated recruits ever at any position, much less at QB, because if he does fulfill his potential, you've passed on a program-changing player.

I’m not saying that I would have passed, but the plan to take only him in that class was stupid. He was guaranteed to be an injury project. All we had was 2 unknowns with minimal experience. SR was a bust and left leaving injury prone MC. That led to the desperation move for Delton.

Had we taken a second QB (we knew JR was a long rehab) or passed on JR altogether, we likely wouldn’t have needed Delton.

CountryFrog

I’m not saying that I would have passed, but the plan to take only him in that class was stupid. He was guaranteed to be an injury project. All we had was 2 unknowns with minimal experience. SR was a bust and left leaving injury prone MC. That led to the desperation move for Delton.

Had we taken a second QB (we knew JR was a long rehab) or passed on JR altogether, we likely wouldn’t have needed Delton.
This is so revisionist history it's ridiculous. There is plenty of room for criticism with the coaches on the QB front so there's no need to go looking for extra things that aren't actually their fault to blame them for. The JR situation was act of God type stuff.

Bill Bozeat

I’m 99% sure that he has already committed and Jeremy has likely already done a full interview with him about his commitment and then Jeremy told all the other 247 writers that he committed and that is why all these crystal ball pics are coming in.
So your saying the Crystal Ball process is as flawed as the Dems Iowa returns?

RufeBruton

No I don't think anyone is saying that nor should anyone compare anything in this thread to anything politically related in any way whatsoever, be it Republican, Democrat, Whig, or any other political party affiliation.
Liked for the Whig reference. Wonder why the Bullmoose folks weren’t included.

TRF51

If Mike Collins had stayed healthy we would not have needed Delton either.
I would not saw we ever needed him. I would say he set the program back. If Justin Rogers got those reps, who knows what would have happened. If Max played every play and was allowed to get in rhythm maybe we would have been a bowl team.