• The KillerFrogs

DCTF: TCU earns commitment from No. 1-rated dual-threat JUCO quarterback

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DCTF: TCU earns commitment from No. 1-rated dual-threat JUCO quarterback

Shehan Jeyarajah

TCU football has added a commitment from Independence Community College quarterback Stephen Brown two days before National Signing Day.

Brown is rated the No. 91 JUCO player in the country and No. 1 dual-threat quarterback in the class per the 247Sports composite. Since he redshirted his first season at “Last Chance U,” Brown should have three years of eligibility remaining.

In his first season playing at ICC, Brown completed 56.5 percent of his passes for 1,430 yards, 16 touchdowns and six interceptions, while adding 546 rushing yards and seven rushing scores. He led the Pirates to a bounce-back 8-2 season and conference championship under new head coach Kiyoshi Harris.

Read more at https://www.texasfootball.com/artic...reat-juco-quarterback?ref=article_preview_img

Atomic Frawg

I may be the only one whose mind thinks this way, but the headline reads oddly to me. Doesn't the student-athlete earn the opportunity to suit up at a prestigious university, play nationally televised games with the opportunity to reach the next level, all while receiving a top notch education? But today I guess the universities do have to earn commitments in a Discovery Channel-like mating dance. Nevertheless, I digress. Glad he's here.

PS. I think I'm getting old.

Limp Lizard

He is a tall QB for a dual-threat. On the highlights he is accurate. Of course that's highlights. 56% completion rate, 16 TD and 6 int in 10 games on a team that had 59% of its yards by rushing.

Zubaz

Cumbie is an excellent QB coach imo
Is he? He's had success with two quarterbacks, one that he didn't recruit, the other who never really developed beyond what he showed at his previous School (and I really like Kenny, think he's very underrated, but I don't think we should pretend like we were some elite passing school during his time here).

With everybody else so far, the results have been pretty subpar.

He is a tall QB for a dual-threat. On the highlights he is accurate. Of course that's highlights. 56% completion rate, 16 TD and 6 int in 10 games on a team that had 59% of its yards by rushing.
So what and who really gives any credibility to a JUCO or to an iffy ratings system? Have y'all forgotten that stud JUCO back in the 80s or maybe 90s that was the BEST JUCO QB of that year and he laid an egg here. What was that kid's name?
Edit: Fred Taylor....geez

Dr. Coach Haus

Shawn Robinson would like a word. So would Justin Rogers, Alex Delton, and Michael Collins
I don't think SR would listen. That is how he got the team trouble slinging it around and not working through progressions.
JR never was healthy enough to see the difference in coaching.
Delton, can't make chicken salad out of chicken [ Finebaum ] - he wanted to run the ball and he was good at it, plus he wasn't here that long to work on accuracy.
I cannot say anything on Collins. Did not make a ton of progress, just kept getting hurt.

ThisIsOurTime

So what and who really gives any credibility to a JUCO or to an iffy ratings system? Have y'all forgotten that stud JUCO back in the 80s or maybe 90s that was the BEST JUCO QB of that year and he laid an egg here. What was that kid's name?
Edit: Fred Taylor....geez
Your point is well taken about it being a crapshoot but there have been JUCO quarterbacks who have been solid assets to their teams like:

1. Josh Heupel won a title for OU.
2. Cam Newton won a title for Auburn.
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Jarrett Stidham
5. Brad Banks (Iowa)
6. Warren Moon
7. Michael Bishop (KSU)
8. Seneca Wallace (Iowa State)
9. Chad Kelly (Ole Miss)

Who knows how this player will turn out but the good news is we are keeping the cupboard full of potential QBs. If he can provide depth, he will have served his purpose. Sooner or later we are going to need to rely on our QB depth. And if he can play well enough to push the starter or even win the starting position, that is a bonus.

TRF51

Wonder if it will be an open competition? It should be, like Max but he was nearly as good as some thought he was last year.

LawFrog504

I don't think SR would listen. That is how he got the team trouble slinging it around and not working through progressions.
JR never was healthy enough to see the difference in coaching.
Delton, can't make chicken salad out of chicken [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] - he wanted to run the ball and he was good at it, plus he wasn't here that long to work on accuracy.
I cannot say anything on Collins. Did not make a ton of progress, just kept getting hurt.
Agree w/most of this, but still doesn't make it fair to say he "got the most out of his QB's." He didn't, even considering these things

LawFrog504

3 out of last 4 years have been riddled/sabotaged with poor QB play. The notion (sometimes floating around this board) that Cumbie is some QB guru that will warp this kid into shape is misguided and just not substantiated with any recent evidence.

ThisIsOurTime

Wonder if it will be an open competition? It should be, like Max but he was nearly as good as some thought he was last year.
Why wouldn't it be an open competition? Even if it wasn't, GP would say publicly that it was like he always does. Regardless, I am sure Max would have the inside track because of experience and GP is loyal. But I could see others pushing for game time where if they can outperform Max, they would take over. Will be interesting to see how this QB and Matthew Baldwin do.

I think we are going to be ok at QB. What I am really hoping for is a jump in WR play and that we exploit our TEs even more in 2020.

Froggish

Cumbie is an excellent QB coach imo. As an OC, the jury is still out. Obviously, SC needs to improve there. Hopefully with the addition of Meach and Kill, they can mentor him along.

Honest question....No snark here..how much more do you have to see for the jury to come back in? Most would say a 3 year picture is a pretty good amount of data. Also what criteria makes him good or bad?

Salfrog

Tier 1
I haven't seen any evidence that Cunbie is a great QB coach. Name one QB that he actually coached up and developed since he has been here. Recruiter, yes, but supposedly so is Anderson. So there is that as an example.