• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Verrett Makes It 7 Straight Years for a Horned Frog on a Super Bowl Team

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2020/1/30/...s-for-a-horned-frog-on-a-super-bowl-team.aspx

GoFrogs: Verrett Makes It 7 Straight Years for a Horned Frog on a Super Bowl Team

FORT WORTH -- TCU two-time All-America cornerback Jason Verrett, a member of the San Francisco 49ers, has made it seven straight years for a Horned Frog to be on a Super Bowl team.

Verrett is in his first year with the 49ers. He was a 2014 first-round draft pick of the Chargers and spent his first five NFL seasons with them, including being a 2015 Pro Bowl selection.

Verrett was tabbed the 2013 Big 12 Co-Defensive Player of the Year by the conference's head coaches. He was a Jim Thorpe Award semifinalist and Lott IMPACT Trophy quarterfinalist. Verrett was also the State's Defensive Player of the Year by Dave Campbell's Texas Football.

In his final game as a Horned Frog, Verrett limited Antwan Goodley, Baylor's leading receiver, to just one catch for 12 yards. Verrett also broke up two passes in the process. Earlier in the year, Verrett held Texas Tech's Eric Ward, who had 83 receptions on the season, without a catch the entire game. Goodley and Ward were two of the Big 12's top-four receivers. When lined up against LSU's Odell Beckham Jr., Verrett allowed just one reception. He totaled seven stops, including a sack, while adding three pass breakups versus LSU.

Despite not many balls being thrown his way in the 2013 campaign, Verrett led the Big 12 and tied for sixth nationally with 1.5 passes defended per game (two interceptions, 14 pass breakups). Over his last two seasons, he topped the nation with 38 passes defended (eight interceptions, 30 pass breakups).

This will be the 10th Super Bowl in the last 12 years that TCU has had at least one player in the game. Twelve different Horned Frogs have been on Super Bowl teams in that stretch.

Former TCU Football Players on Super Bowl Teams
Lyle Blackwood - Miami (Super Bowl XVII, XIX)
Josh Boyce - New England (Super Bowl XLIX)
Larry Brown - Dallas (Super Bowl XXVII, XXVIII, XXX)
Norm Bulaich - Baltimore (Super Bowl V)
Marcus Cannon - New England (Super Bowl XLVI, XLIX, LI, LII, LIII)
Tommy Joe Crutcher - Green Bay (Super Bowl I, II)
Charles Davis - Pittsburgh (Super Bowl IX)
Kenneth Davis - Buffalo (Super Bowl XXV, XXVI, XXVII, XXVIII)
Norm Evans - Miami (Super Bowl VI, VII, VIII)
Clint Gresham - Seattle (Super Bowl XLVIII, XLIX)
Sherrill Headrick - Kansas City (Super Bowl I)
Travin Howard - Los Angeles Rams (Super Bowl LIII)
Gaylon Hyder - St. Louis (Super Bowl XXXIV)
Cedric James - New England (Super Bowl XXXIX)
Colin Jones - Carolina (Super Bowl 50)
Bob Lilly - Dallas (Super Bowl V, VI)
James Maness - Chicago (Super Bowl XX)
Mickey McCarty - Kansas City (Super Bowl IV)
Guy Morriss - Philadelphia (Super Bowl XV), New England (Super Bowl XX)
Marshall Newhouse - Green Bay (Super Bowl XLV)
Joseph Noteboom - Los Angeles Rams (Super Bowl LIII)
Bobby Pollard - Seattle (Super Bowl XL)
Jared Retkofsky - Pittsburgh (Super Bowl XLIII)
Barret Robbins - Oakland (Super Bowl XXXVII)
Bo Schobel - Indianapolis (Super Bowl XLI)
Michael Toudouze - Indianapolis (Super Bowl XLI, XLIV)
Greg Townsend - Los Angeles Raiders (Super Bowl XVIII)
Ryan Tucker - St. Louis (Super Bowl XXXIV)
Halapoulivaati Vaitai - Philadelphia (Super Bowl LII)
Jason Verrett - San Francisco (Super Bowl LIV)
Malcolm Williams - New England (Super Bowl XLVI)

TRF51

He has played like 4 plays all year, two of them were TDs that he was scored on and the others were PI calls. After that, he ended up on IR. Not sure I would say he was a contributor in any way.

TRF51

He gets a ring if they win and that’s all that matters. Still sucks he’s been injured the way he has. When healthy he was a top 3 CB in the NFL.

He was elite, I don't think he ever makes it back to where he was and I don't think he ever plays again. I was really pulling for him but he looked very bad when he got in against Pitt. James Washington of all people torched him badly.

BTW, where in Montana do you live?

MTfrog5

He was elite, I don't think he ever makes it back to where he was and I don't think he ever plays again. I was really pulling for him but he looked very bad when he got in against Pitt. James Washington of all people torched him badly.

BTW, where in Montana do you live?
Montana way too damn cold for me

Wexahu

He gets a ring if they win and that’s all that matters. Still sucks he’s been injured the way he has. When healthy he was a top 3 CB in the NFL.

It's really not all that matters. These guys are professionals, what matters most by far is money. The ring for a guy like Verrett in his situation is worthless in about every way.

MTfrog5

It's really not all that matters. These guys are professionals, what matters most by far is money. The ring for a guy like Verrett in his situation is worthless in about every way.
I bet he’s pretty damn proud to have been able to come back even for a couple plays for a Super Bowl team. I know your job is to disagree with every post and I was mainly taking about TCU saying that a player is on the super bowl team.

Wexahu

Not sure you really know what matters to him.

You're right, I don't.

I'm pretty sure he'd trade a Super Bowl ring earned while being on IR for being healthy and in line for another contract playing for (insert any non-Super Bowl team) 100x out of 100x but what the hell do I know.

MTfrog5

You're right, I don't.

I'm pretty sure he'd trade a Super Bowl ring earned while being on IR for being healthy and in line for another contract playing for (insert any non-Super Bowl team) 100x out of 100x but what the hell do I know.
No [ Finebaum ] he’s trade for that. He also realizes where he is in his career and that’s probably not realistic at this point.

CountryFrog

You're right, I don't.

What you're saying now is that he'd RATHER be healthy and get another big contract which is so incredibly obvious that I don't think it even needs to be said. It's also extremely different from what you originally said which is that the ring is "worthless in about every way" to him.

Chico Dusty

You're right, I don't.

MT was talking about what is. Not some dumb ass, obvious hypothetical. His only options right now in his current health and body - are not playing, sitting on the couch on the roster of a team that didn’t make the SB, or still enjoying the ride of an incredible experience - still getting paid and picking up some bonus checks, and getting a super bowl ring regardless is he contributes or not. He’s still on the team.