• The KillerFrogs

2020 Baseball Season Thread

Purp

Here’s the name of the injured player I referenced.

That's a bummer for Augie. You indicated we lost a key bullpen arm for the year with the injury, but wasn't he considered a candidate for the rotation this year along with Perez out of last year's pen arms?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
That’s the problem. He doesn’t throw that hard.
Throwing hard is only one of the keys to being an effective pitcher. If the kid has excellent control, can change speeds, and successfully masks his delivery then speed isn't an issue.

If he has good stuff to go along with the other elements outlined above, then "Whoa, Nellie!"

Moose Stuff

That's a bummer for Augie. You indicated we lost a key bullpen arm for the year with the injury, but wasn't he considered a candidate for the rotation this year along with Perez out of last year's pen arms?

Unlikely. I suppose it was possible at some point. Just not enough strikes.

Moose Stuff

Throwing hard is only one of the keys to being an effective pitcher. If the kid has excellent control, can change speeds, and successfully masks his delivery then speed isn't an issue.

If he has good stuff to go along with the other elements outlined above, then "Whoa, Nellie!"

I’m not saying he can’t be a very good pitcher for us. Just that anyone expecting him to be hitting 93-94 is gonna be disappointed. He’s gonna be an 88-91 guy most of the time. Solid breaking ball and should throw strikes.

Purp

Didn't we have an all decade pitcher who topped out in the upper 80s with his fastball? Not saying this kid could be Preston Morrison, but if he can throw strikes (well located on both sides of the plate), keep the ball down, and change speeds with a couple other pitches it's not unreasonable to have hope. I'm not so much hung up on a low to mid-90s fastball if the other tools are there. Hopefully things click for him quickly and he gets some early confidence.

Moose Stuff

Didn't we have an all decade pitcher who topped out in the upper 80s with his fastball? Not saying this kid could be Preston Morrison, but if he can throw strikes (well located on both sides of the plate), keep the ball down, and change speeds with a couple other pitches it's not unreasonable to have hope. I'm not so much hung up on a low to mid-90s fastball if the other tools are there. Hopefully things click for him quickly and he gets some early confidence.

Preston Morrison was a freak. Almost a once in a decade (if not more) type kid in terms of what he did and how he did it.

Purp

Preston Morrison was a freak. Almost a once in a decade (if not more) type kid in terms of what he did and how he did it.
Was his freakishness known in high school? It seems he was lightly recruited at the college level. I'm not suggesting anyone on the current roster has what PMo had (I totally agree he was special); just making the point that velocity isn't going to determine whether or not a kid is or isn't good for us.