• The KillerFrogs

Would anyone want to see TCU play USC?

Moose Stuff

Actually it does and I understand it really well

You THINK you do. Calling out our AD for not forcing Gary to play a game he doesn’t want to play is silly at best. Show me a head coach who has an AD who schedules game he doesn’t want to play and I’ll show you a disfunctional unsuccessful program.

PO Frog

I mean it’s not a deflection, he’s telling you it isn’t happening. And every poster on this board knows the reason.
He’s deflecting by bringing up different teams in different seasons than the proposed opening. Those two games are irrelevant to whether we fill our schedule with a different team next year.

Moose Stuff

He’s deflecting by bringing up different teams in different seasons than the proposed opening. Those two games are irrelevant to whether we fill our schedule with a different team next year.

Sure. But you obviously understand he isn’t gonna tweet “Sorry, our head coach doesn’t want to play that game”. And unless I’m misreading/misunderstanding it JD did reference the 2021 Cal game which is the same year the USC game would be.

flyfishingfrog

You THINK you do. Calling out our AD for not forcing Gary to play a game he doesn’t want to play is silly at best. Show me a head coach who has an AD who schedules game he doesn’t want to play and I’ll show you a disfunctional unsuccessful program.
CDC was the reason LSU, tOSU, happened - he had the connections with their ADs and the respect needed to get them to agree plus was able to push GP to step up our OOC competition

Moose Stuff

CDC was the reason LSU, tOSU, happened - he had the connections with their ADs and the respect needed to get them to agree plus was able to push GP to step up our OOC competition

Worth noting he also didn’t have the connections or respect to have either of those teams visit ACS. The rest is fine but Gary has publicly stated many times he has no interest in playing 2 P5 OOC games. Calling out our AD for basically not having the balls to challenge Gary on that is silly. Call out Gary if that’s how you feel. I’d agree with you if we we’re playing 3 non P5 OOC games and JD wouldn’t push the issue on that.

West Coast Johnny

With the transfer portal and our tendency to get the majority of our starters hurt before conference play, is scheduling three P5 teams instead a great idea?

Baylor schedules Peter Rabbit Day School and was in the CFP running late last year.

USC is the flagship California team and has the depth to play its schedule.
Not sure where you are getting schedulting three P5 teams as the suggestion is just to schedule two.

Just because Baylor schedules like a big [ muschi ] doesn't mean we should. In fact We should find out what Baylor is doing and then do the exat opposite.

Citing the risk of injury as a reason for not scheduling good teams OOC is just soft. USC has the depth to play us but we don't have the depth to play them? Might be true but we're showing our big gapping vagina by not even scheduling it.

LeagueCityFrog

I would go to a one and done vs USC at Cowboys Stadium and not have a return game to LA. The casual football fan in the US would watch that game broadcast nationally. We need TCU football to just get back to playing TCU football. America is ready for someone else not named OU to represent the Big XII in the Playoff. Come on Gary!

West Coast Johnny

Probably right but you're defending the systems which creates compelling match-ups like TCU vs Grambling. No one wants to watch such crap and declining attendence and the well documented insustainability of the current college football system proves the point.

Wexahu

anyone, anytime, anywhere.
it's an attitude

That "attitude" has always been way more talk than action. And really no teams take that approach.

What everyone wants to do is schedule as poorly as they can while making it appear they're not doing so. It's not the easiest thing to do. One FCS, one G5 and one very average P5 program seems to be the sweet spot that we want to get to.

Moose Stuff

Probably right but you're defending the systems which creates compelling match-ups like TCU vs Grambling. No one wants to watch such crap and declining attendence and the well documented insustainability of the current college football system proves the point.

I’m not defending it. I have little interest in a TCU/Grambling matchup beyond the fact that I’m a TCU fan. Just saying blaming our relatively new AD and not our long time HC for the issue seems silly. JD stepping in there is asking for major trouble. Same would go for any other AD we might have. He could suggest it but he’s gotta let Gary schedule how he wants to.

flyfishingfrog

Worth noting he also didn’t have the connections or respect to have either of those teams visit ACS. The rest is fine but Gary has publicly stated many times he has no interest in playing 2 P5 OOC games. Calling out our AD for basically not having the balls to challenge Gary on that is silly. Call out Gary if that’s how you feel. I’d agree with you if we we’re playing 3 non P5 OOC games and JD wouldn’t push the issue on that.
Actually he did have the pull - he got it scheduled. it was GP who wanted to H&H changed to a one and done in Arlington

the LSU game was the Cowboy Classic - which is obviously played every year and is never at home and home for either team

and CDC pushed GP to play both opponents despite his initial hesitation - otherwise during his tenure we would never have seen LSU or tOSU - GP wanted wins and warm ups for conference not great OOC games the fans want to see

it was CDCs argument about perception and what playing those schools would mean for the pyramid - so ADs that work from a position of strength actually do have

This was all presented directly by CDC during a first team discussion with GP right after the tOSU games were announced when someone asked if this type of schedule was a trend we should see in future - so it’s not like it is really any secret

notice what P5 OOC opponents have been scheduled since CDC left...

As I have said before, I like Jeremiah but he was hired to keep the status quo because we had our coaches in all major sports set not push an agenda - but he seems to not push at all and it would be nice to have someone that could push at least in some things