• The KillerFrogs

FWST: An elite eight in college football? The case for and against expanding the playoffs.

Eight

So you think CFB isn't about money?

Ok-then-look-away.gif

BTW, your plan takes away our Fiesta Bowl, our Rose Bowl, and our Peach Bowl. Simple, right?

the cfb is only about money, television money and nothing else.

do you really think the cfb is about the money fans spend?

do you really think the money the networks would pay would be less than the bowls?

the bowls are slowly dying as can be seen by the continued declining attendance and the television ratings

it is possible to have the national championship without the bowls. that is the what it was from the beginning and i have a feeling we will see that eventually

Eight

OK, let's pretend that there are ZERO logistical concerns.....I still wouldn't like an expanded playoffs and don't think it's necessary. College football has bar none the best regular season in sports, there are basically elimination games every weekend. I love the fact that there is so little margin for error and that every game is critical. How many truly competitive games do teams like Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson and Oklahoma play every year? Three? Four? Maybe five in some cases? I don't really want a system where a team can lose two of those and still be basically locked into a playoff spot. That's what makes the regular season so good, no team can afford to slip up much. No system is absolutely perfect but there isn't much wrong with the system currently in place. With very few exceptions, those additional games would be games that don't really need to be played because the pecking order is decided in the regular season.

If Alabama loses to Auburn and LSU they don't deserve a chance to play for a national championship IMO. Ditto for Wisconsin if they lose to Ohio State and Iowa. This year Oklahoma wasn't even competitive against LSU and now we'd be talking about Baylor being a playoff team, and they had two tries against OU and lost both. In most every year it'd just be adding games that aren't necessary to determine a champion.

The NCAA basketball tournament is a fun event but the fact that basically every decent team makes the tournament does make the regular season kind of an afterthought. What is the intrigue in a February matchup between two really good teams? The outcomes are kind of irrelevant because come March every team starts over and plays a single elimination tournament, and that's really all the casual fan cares about . Outside of TCU games I for the most part don't even watch college basketball, I just wait until mid-March.

no pretending ther are no logistical concerns because there will be challenges and they can be dealt with as they are in the other college sports and other facets of life.

as far as everything else you wrote it is the same broken record that is tiresome.

Eight

As a Florida resident, I find it amusing that my TCU/Texas friends think that UCF is some joke school when it’s the opposite. How many alumni does TCU have? How many does UCF have ? I see UCF gear all day. They have a ton of support. I know a lot great kids that have gone there. And when I go to Orlando, I have a blast. I live on the beach , but gave a job in Orlando serious consideration because there’s a ton of opportunity there. If UCF wants to join , let them, you won’t be disappointed.

you missed the joke about a long running argument on this board, but you and wex are both way tooooooo serious on this so have fun with the thread..

Wexahu

no pretending ther are no logistical concerns because there will be challenges and they can be dealt with as they are in the other college sports and other facets of life.

as far as everything else you wrote it is the same broken record that is tiresome.

What is so tiresome about my opinion? I like the fact that there is very little margin for error for teams to make the playoffs in college football. It makes for by far the best regular season in sports and it's 3+ months long. No other sport has very compelling, very meaningful games every week for the entire length of their seasons like college football. I don't think anything really needs changing. Sorry that is such a ridiculous thought.

VA Froggie

I'm one of those people who watches the 1 vs 16 in Match Madness. I like the 2 v 15, the 3 v 14. I go into those games knowing good and well that the higher seed is likely to tan the hide of the lower. But America loves the underdog so it's compelling no matter what the result. The occasional upset payoff is so worth it.

So I see zero problem with having a 1 v 8 in football, even one in which the 1 wins in 7 out of 8 years.
Agree......

flyfishingfrog

What is so tiresome about my opinion? I like the fact that there is very little margin for error for teams to make the playoffs in college football. It makes for by far the best regular season in sports and it's 3+ months long. No other sport has very compelling, very meaningful games every week for the entire length of their seasons like college football. I don't think anything really needs changing. Sorry that is such a ridiculous thought.
Actually it means that 90% of teams are out of the running for the CFP by week 7 - so it doesn’t make for the best regular season for most fans because their teams are done and playing for some meaningless bowl. Since you are an tOSU fan and they are part of the 5% that make week 10 with a chance - then you don’t see that.

no idea why you keep spouting this crap

froginmn

the cfb is only about money, television money and nothing else.

do you really think the cfb is about the money fans spend?

do you really think the money the networks would pay would be less than the bowls?

the bowls are slowly dying as can be seen by the continued declining attendance and the television ratings

it is possible to have the national championship without the bowls. that is the what it was from the beginning and i have a feeling we will see that eventually
And you're missing the fact that the CCGs bring in between 10 and 18 M viewers themselves. You think Memphis at LSU draws a higher rating than Georgia LSU in the CCG you're taking away?

The Rose Bowl drew 16.3M viewers as well despite not being a playoff game, so watering it down also takes away money. Quarterfinals won't draw as many viewers as the current semis or the CCGs.

Dogfrog

And you're missing the fact that the CCGs bring in between 10 and 18 M viewers themselves. You think Memphis at LSU draws a higher rating than Georgia LSU in the CCG you're taking away?

The Rose Bowl drew 16.3M viewers as well despite not being a playoff game, so watering it down also takes away money. Quarterfinals won't draw as many viewers as the current semis or the CCGs.

You really believe the first round playoff game would draw fewer viewers than a CCG game?

Wexahu

Actually it means that 90% of teams are out of the running for the CFP by week 7 - so it doesn’t make for the best regular season for most fans because their teams are done and playing for some meaningless bowl. Since you are an tOSU fan and they are part of the 5% that make week 10 with a chance - then you don’t see that.

no idea why you keep spouting this crap

If I were an OSU fan I would love an 8-team playoff. My team would have made it every single year instead of 50% of the time under the current format. That's kind of my point.

Last edited:

Wexahu

You really believe the first round playoff game would draw fewer viewers than a CCG game?

Depends on who is playing of course. I think a G5 vs #1 team in the nation would absolutely draw less than an SEC championship game that has a playoff spot on the line.

Eight

i get you enjoy the bowls, glad you and your family made some great memories, and the rose bowl money is split to two teams and two conferences.

in response to your belief the quarterfinal game won't draw as the current semi's there is no to prove or disprove.

the only thing that matters is what would the network be willing to bid on televising those additional four games and i would bet more than a bowl game but we won't know until it happens.

Dogfrog

Depends on who is playing of course. I think a G5 vs #1 team in the nation would absolutely draw less than an SEC championship game that has a playoff spot on the line.

Like most status quo lovers, you miss the draw of the outsider getting a chance, which is why the Rose Bowl was so successful and also drives much of the popularity of the basketball tournament.

Wexahu

Like most status quo lovers, you miss the draw of the outsider getting a chance, which is why the Rose Bowl was so successful and also drives much of the popularity of the basketball tournament.

I'm all for the outsider getting a chance, but i want them to earn it. USC hasn't made a playoff. Neither has Michigan, Penn State, Texas, Wisconsin, and a lot of other teams. And I think it's been proven during regular seasons that those teams weren't going to challenge for a national title anyway, so why is it so important that they "get a chance"? Besides, they had their chance. Wisconsin had a chance to make the playoffs this year. Beat Ohio State. Baylor had a chance. Beat OU once. TCU had a chance. Go 12-1 and win the Big 12 and we're in. Every single team has a chance, this myth that they don't is just that. Is it really hard to make it? It sure is. But in MOST years it's hard enough to find 4 teams that play competitive playoff games. There's no need to add more teams when there are 12 regular season games plus a CCG to separate the teams.

froginmn

Less viewers? Less than Big 12 championship? Less than PAC championship?
You asked if I thought a quarterfinal game would get lower ratings than a CCG, and I pointed out an example where a semifinal already has.

Yes, I think it's entirely possible that some quarterfinals would get lower ratings.

Adding an extra round to a basketball playoff is about 100x easier than adding an extra round for football. And the game carries too much toll on the players to be playing extra games just for the very rare circumstance where an upset would happen. And because of travel considerationsquarterfinal games would almost have to be played on college campuses in the higher ranked teams home stadium so I'd feel pretty good saying it'd more likely be 8 out of 8 times that #1 would beat #8.

It's far from as simple as saying let's just add another round to the playoffs because everyone wants more teams and more games.
Drop one reg season game. Go back to 11