• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Dogfrog

Dumb question - do college athletes have to be on athletic scholarship to compete? Couldn’t any enrolled student be on the team if the coach said ok? Guess I assumed the scholarship limits were only for max number of athletic scholarships allowed. Sure I’m missing something.

froginmn

Dumb question - do college athletes have to be on athletic scholarship to compete? Couldn’t any enrolled student be on the team if the coach said ok? Guess I assumed the scholarship limits were only for max number of athletic scholarships allowed. Sure I’m missing something.
Of course you can walk on but when you are in a scholarship sport they will look at other scholarships to ensure the school isn't bypassing the rules. A scholly from another sport would complicate this, as I am sure would this new wrinkle.

Dogfrog

Of course you can walk on but when you are in a scholarship sport they will look at other scholarships to ensure the school isn't bypassing the rules. A scholly from another sport would complicate this, as I am sure would this new wrinkle.

Wonder if the free tuition at UTSA falls under grant & aid rather than scholarship. If they allowed athletes the aid based on need it would be a benefit that is available to all students in that financial category. Oh well, it’s not likely at TCU anyway.

Eight

They had that little Texas to Va Tech recruiting campaign that worked well for them one year. Dont know how well that has held up.

forgot about shibest....texted a friend and he reminded me former arkansas aa receiver james shibest is from aldine, played at arkansas back in the day, and then coached at arkansas

Mean Purple

forgot about shibest....texted a friend and he reminded me former arkansas aa receiver james shibest is from aldine, played at arkansas back in the day, and then coached at arkansas
When the whole Justin considered for BU job stuff came up, first thing I thought was he was leveraging it for some contract gains at VT. Looks like it worked for him. I cant blame him. The knives were out for him a few months ago.

Eight

When the whole Justin considered for BU job stuff came up, first thing I thought was he was leveraging it for some contract gains at VT. Looks like it worked for him. I cant blame him. The knives were out for him a few months ago.

curious how the dc position works for them.

i know bud foster has his detractors, but they went a 180 on his successor.

hamilton from what i can tell was a dc a uva college at wise which is a division 2 school with i guess 2-3,000 students. went to vmi, was a staff position at vtech, and then safeties last year.

Mean Purple

curious how the dc position works for them.

i know bud foster has his detractors, but they went a 180 on his successor.

hamilton from what i can tell was a dc a uva college at wise which is a division 2 school with i guess 2-3,000 students. went to vmi, was a staff position at vtech, and then safeties last year.
I know they have been down, but Foster is, overall, a tough act to follow.
The honeymoon may he short for that DC. Those fans are wanting to be back up NOW.

Eight

I know they have been down, but Foster is, overall, a tough act to follow.
The honeymoon may he short for that DC. Those fans are wanting to be back up NOW.

mack starting to turn things around at unc and then uva starting to come back doesn't help his situation.

they will return most of their offense, but have to replace over half their starting defense.

schedule is favorable with no clemson, no notre dame, 7 home games and they get penn state, miami, and uva in blacksburg.

Froggish

mack starting to turn things around at unc and then uva starting to come back doesn't help his situation.

they will return most of their offense, but have to replace over half their starting defense.

schedule is favorable with no clemson, no notre dame, 7 home games and they get penn state, miami, and uva in blacksburg.

Mack hit a homerun with their OC

Eight

Mack hit a homerun with their OC

they return 10 on offense, that quarterback can play, and if they can replace some losses on their defensive line they could be very good by season end.

their schedule is a bit tricky at the start going to orlando to play ucf on a thursday night before going to atlanta to play auburn 9 days later

ThisIsOurTime

Hazelton seems to have good hands, good speed, has confidence and can even returns punts. Which is all great but I want to know will he block and be a good example for other players on the team? His film doesn't show blocking and this would be his 3rd school of his college career so the coaches should do their due diligence.

asleep003

they return 10 on offense, that quarterback can play, and if they can replace some losses on their defensive line they could be very good by season end.

their schedule is a bit tricky at the start going to orlando to play ucf on a thursday night before going to atlanta to play auburn 9 days later

Not quite the same as TCU playing UNLV on Saturday nite, then arriving back in FW at 4am Sunday morning ... then getting on a plane again Wednesday to play Utah in altitude thursday nite for what was the Conference Championship, while gassing out just before the end of the game in a brilliant effort.