• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Eight

Sounds like we are only looking to add 3-4 more signees at the Feb deadline....

balance between areas you need to fill and the talent available.

savion williams for example is a quality prospect who potentially could fill a position that has been trouble for quite some time.

granted, frogs have signed 3 other quality prospects at receiver, but until any of them step on campus they are all unknowns so if you have a chance to sign a prospect like williams i think you do so in this class.

same situation with a prospect of the caliber of wren.

things get trickier in the interior offensive line and defensive end as i don't see any high school prospects the frogs have a legitimate chance of signing .

i also agree that there will be other transfers.

Moose Stuff

savion williams for example is a quality prospect who potentially could fill a position that has been trouble for quite some time.

granted, frogs have signed 3 other quality prospects at receiver, but until any of them step on campus they are all unknowns so if you have a chance to sign a prospect like williams i think you do so in this class.

things get trickier in the interior offensive line and defensive end as i don't see any high school prospects the frogs have a legitimate chance of signing .

I can’t imagine we’re after any more young OL considering we just signed 5.

Eight

I can’t imagine we’re after any more young OL considering we just signed 5.

agreed, but there is a need inside for an experienced transfer if they could find one who would be both immediately eligible and could contribute

example, devery hamilton of stanford is 6'6" 300+, played inside and tackle, 2 letters, 10 career starts, started 4 games last year before going down with a hand injury. all pac academics, and immediately eligible

Last edited:

Froggish

Savion and Wren are probably both takes if they wanted to be at TCU...I’m guessing we are done defensively and are just going to cross our fingers that Mathis, Parker, or Colt can turn into players. I still believe it would be wise to take a grad transfer corner if one could come in and start

Punter1

Just my opinion but we need a Juco or Grad transfer DE EXTREMELY badly. Like I think that was our No 1 need going into this entire recruiting cycle.

We got almost zero pressure on the QB off the edge last year and honestly I don't see the guys we have now being that much better at that next year. I would have signed at least two plug and play DEs this cycle just because we rotate so much.

Maybe there is a grad transfer in the hopper we don't know about but GP can't be happy with what we had last year and with Big Ross gone from the middle we need to get some dudes who can come off the edge.

Eight

Just my opinion but we need a Juco or Grad transfer DE EXTREMELY badly. Like I think that was our No 1 need going into this entire recruiting cycle.

We got almost zero pressure on the QB off the edge last year and honestly I don't see the guys we have now being that much better at that next year. I would have signed at least two plug and play DEs this cycle just because we rotate so much.

Maybe there is a grad transfer in the hopper we don't know about but GP can't be happy with what we had last year and with Big Ross gone from the middle we need to get some dudes who can come off the edge.

i agree but not sure there is one out there that fits what the frogs want from their defensive ends.

noticed alex williams of THE ohio state has entered the portal though not likely an immediate participant

Bill Bozeat

Question in Oklahoma workin . Fellow told me congrats on new QB. I asked who that

Told Gary said he knew where D'rieg King was transfering to. Where did gary talk about this?

Billy Clyde

Question in Oklahoma workin . Fellow told me congrats on new QB. I asked who that

Told Gary said he knew where D'rieg King was transfering to. Where did gary talk about this?

Someone probably misconstrued Gary's comment to Gundy on Monday night's broadcast when they were featured on the "Coaches Film Room" simulcast of the NC game. He saw (apparently) a tweet from King that he was officially entering the portal and told Gundy about it. Said, "I'll show you on the break who's transferring," or words to that effect.

Ironic, coming from OK.

Mean Purple

Someone probably misconstrued Gary's comment to Gundy on Monday night's broadcast when they were featured on the "Coaches Film Room" simulcast of the NC game. He saw (apparently) a tweet from King that he was officially entering the portal and told Gundy about it. Said, "I'll show you on the break who's transferring," or words to that effect.

Ironic, coming from OK.
I laughed

CryptoMiner

UTSA commit getting a closer look from TCU (Frogs have done nicely with commits they have flipped from UTSA):

Shamar Smith (RB/Slot) 5-11/175 St James (LA) led St James to 1st state title since 1979, Warrick Dunn Award winner, Class 3A All State Offensive MVP, 140-of-245 passes for 2,012 yards, 17 touchdowns, four interceptions and a 57.1 completion percentage and had 207 carries for 1,267 yards, 27 touchdowns and a 6.1-yard-per-carry average.

Eight

UTSA commit getting a closer look from TCU (Frogs have done nicely with commits they have flipped from UTSA):

Shamar Smith (RB/Slot) 5-11/175 St James (LA) led St James to 1st state title since 1979, Warrick Dunn Award winner, Class 3A All State Offensive MVP, 140-of-245 passes for 2,012 yards, 17 touchdowns, four interceptions and a 57.1 completion percentage and had 207 carries for 1,267 yards, 27 touchdowns and a 6.1-yard-per-carry average.

won state title in 110 H last year so a multi-sport prospect with a history of success

Atomic Frawg

UTSA recently announced free tuitions for kids from families that make under 50K a year. How do schools that offer free admissions deal with scholarship athletes? Do they still have to scholarship the student-athletes, or can they just bring them in for free if they meet the free admittance requirements?

Billy Clyde

Had me at "Warrick Dunn."

Dogfrog

UTSA recently announced free tuitions for kids from families that make under 50K a year. How do schools that offer free admissions deal with scholarship athletes? Do they still have to scholarship the student-athletes, or can they just bring them in for free if they meet the free admittance requirements?

That’s one way to break recruiting wide open.

Moose Stuff

I would assume there is still a hard cap on scholarships for each sport. Let’s say some kid wants to walk on and he’s on one of those scholarships. I assume if he makes the team and wants to stay on it he has to give up the scholarship.

Moose Stuff

Pretty sure we had a partial scholarship baseball kid in the last decade who had a chance to stick with the football team as well (no football scholarship) but he was gonna have to give up his baseball scholarship to do it so he chose not to.

Edit..... Jerrick Suiter