• The KillerFrogs

Cumbie OC

Eight

This is what our offense has ranked in the Big 12 the last 4 years...

• 2016 -- 7th in yards, 8th in scoring
  • 2017 -- 5th in yards, 5th in scoring
  • 2018 -- 8th in yards, 9th in scoring
  • 2019 -- 7th in yards, 7th in scoring

if you want the ultimate chicken or egg question carry those rankings all the way out to 2012 and what you find is the magic time period of 2014-15 which is the only time since the frogs have joined the big 12 that the offense ranked at or near the top in total yards, yards per play, scoring, redzone, and 3rd down conversion which then poses the question:

a) was that the meacham & cumbie partnership
b) having 5 nfl quality offensive linemen, an nfl quality quarterback, an nfl quality running back, and an nfl quality receiver.
c) both

Last edited:

texas_sicilian

if you want the ultimate chicken or egg question carry those rankings all the way out to 2012 and what you find is the magic time period of 2014-15 which is the only time since the frogs have joined the big 12 that the offense ranked at or near the top in total yards, yards per play, scoring, redzone, and 3rd down conversion which then poses the question:

a) what that the meacham & cumbie partnership
b) having 5 nfl quality offensive linemen, an nfl quality quarterback, an nfl quality running back, and an nfl quality receiver.
c) both
d) Patterson retied his shoelaces at a rate three times higher

This is what our offense has ranked in the Big 12 the last 4 years...

• 2016 -- 7th in yards, 8th in scoring
  • 2017 -- 5th in yards, 5th in scoring
  • 2018 -- 8th in yards, 9th in scoring
  • 2019 -- 7th in yards, 7th in scoring
Kenny Hill (transferred in)
Foster Sawyer (bust)
Brennen Wooten (bust)
Grayson Muehlstein (support role)
Jordan Kitna (??)

Kenny Hill (great)
Mike Collins (great, but hurt)
Shawn Robinson (heir apparent who would fail miserably)
Grayson Muelstein (support role)
Karson Ringdahl (??)

Shawn Robinson (headcase, bust)
Mike Collins (more injuries than a UFC fighter)
Justin Rogers (never recovered from HS injury)
Grayson Muelstein (miracle worker, saved the season)
Karson Ringdahl (??)
Grant Beucler (??)

Alex Delton (partial season, split reps in camp and practices)
Max Duggan (true freshman, split reps in camp and practices)
Justin Rogers (didn't play and transferred out)
Matthew Downing (who knows)
Matthew Baldwin (who knows)
Grant Beucler (??)

That's 75% of the problem right there. The other 25% is coaching. Let's see what happens after these new coaching changes have marinated, and once Duggan has a full off-season as the starter, working routes with receivers, etc.

researchfrog

It doesn't look good if you're the guy and your boss both inserts a newly created supervisory position over you and brings in your old supervisor as your subordinate. Plus isn't Kenny Hill still eligible to be a GA, (one year as an undergrad coach in Fall 2018 and one year as a GA)?

I've read that CGP doesn't like to fire a guy during the year, but if there is a situation in which it could happen, this seems like it. This seems like a short leash/chopping block situation.

Last edited:

4th. down

it is what it is now so let's see how it all unfolds on the field. Can it be any worse than last year? Probably not.

Sonny Dykes was a great help to Sonny as an offensive analyst but Kill is not really in that position.

From what I've gathered following all this is, that Kill reports to Gary and GP decides what to do with that info. Ie, we have a tendency to run between the tackles on 1st. down 73% of the time and pass on 2nd. down 18%, and pass on 3rd. down 87% and all the defensive CO's know this Gary - to me, this would be the type of info. Gary gets from Kill and or the coaching technique from the offensive line coaches is incorrect for our running game, etc. He won't be doing any coaching.

Bruce Berry

I hope I'm wrong but I'm expecting more of the same this year on offense.

Cumbie's contract runs out after this year I believe-he's gone and we can move forward. Duggan will be a junior, the running backs will have a year under their belt. I'm excited about the post Cumbie era.

Tumbleweed

For 2020 look for efficiency to go up. It has to if for no other reason than experience. Then the question, how long before it all levels out in the third or fourth game and does it stay level, drop or rise? Again, GP relying on defense to carry offense. Jerry Kill, Is he known as an offensive man or a defensive man? Is he known as a creative conservative person, ultra conservative? Don't think he's a creative offensive man or Gary wouldn't have hired him.

He's bound to help even if its sage advice. He and Gary have been friends for over 30 years.

JockO de Frog

Please, someone find me the gif of beating a dead horse. I believe GP has had changes in the works for a while now. I honestly think these will be good moves. Meacham knows exactly what his job is and a lot of water has passed under the bridge since his departure. You can be sure cumbie knows the situation as well. I think Kill will bring excellent coordinating skills and even mentoring to cumbie. For those who don't think Coach P is addressing the offense then I think you're blind. And yes, we will see how 2020 plays out and if poorly, I have complete confidence Coach P will make more necessary changes.

Last edited:

GetToTheQB

Kenny Hill (transferred in)
Foster Sawyer (bust)
Brennen Wooten (bust)
Grayson Muehlstein (support role)
Jordan Kitna (??)

Kenny Hill (great)
Mike Collins (great, but hurt)
Shawn Robinson (heir apparent who would fail miserably)
Grayson Muelstein (support role)
Karson Ringdahl (??)

Shawn Robinson (headcase, bust)
Mike Collins (more injuries than a UFC fighter)
Justin Rogers (never recovered from HS injury)
Grayson Muelstein (miracle worker, saved the season)
Karson Ringdahl (??)
Grant Beucler (??)

Alex Delton (partial season, split reps in camp and practices)
Max Duggan (true freshman, split reps in camp and practices)
Justin Rogers (didn't play and transferred out)
Matthew Downing (who knows)
Matthew Baldwin (who knows)
Grant Beucler (??)

That's 75% of the problem right there. The other 25% is coaching. Let's see what happens after these new coaching changes have marinated, and once Duggan has a full off-season as the starter, working routes with receivers, etc.

I would say that the staff is more responsible than 25 percent of the problems at quarterback.

Cumbie has shown absolutely zero ability to develop a quarterback. Cant say we have not had a serviceable QB in 4 years. Not at this level. You are paid too much money to not find a solution with what you have.

In addition to that, the staff is the group of people who are actually in charge of getting talent here. that is called "recruiting".

this would mean they are more than 25 percent to blame.

4th. down

2016 -- 3rd in yards, 4th in points
2017 -- 1st in yards, 1st in points
2018 -- 1st in yards, 2nd in points
2019 -- 1st in yards, 4th in points

Playoff bound and that's what I don't understand, how can GP be so good at defense and defending it all of his coaching life but then acts like he doesn't know anything about it.

TRF51

Or you could view it through the lens of "Sonny has a brief time to turn things around or else someone else with play calling experience could be promoted to take the reigns".

Kill is there to help give him every chance for success before that happens.[/QUOTE

So what explosive offense has Kill been in charge of? Not sure he would be the guy we would want as the OC.

The enigma of TCU football in 2020. An endless array of unanswered questions....potential of

position replacements, quality of depth, QB maturity, staff changes, etc. Questions abound,

while we ardently await September's reveal.