• The KillerFrogs

Mike Leach going to Miss State

froginmn

Not a world beater I guess, but 33-39 is pretty damn good for that school in that division in that conference. Especially when you consider that for a majority of those years Arkansas and Ole Miss were not bad football teams.
Arkansas is 13-51 in conference the last eight years and won more than 3 games once, but ok.

Wexahu

Arkansas is 13-51 in conference the last eight years and won more than 3 games once, but ok.

Arkansas was much better 3-4 years ago than they are now, that’s all I’m saying. They weren’t the gimme when Mullen was coaching like they are now. Hell, we were pretty proud of ourselves for beating them in 2017, weren’t we?

froginmn

Arkansas was much better 3-4 years ago than they are now, that’s all I’m saying. They weren’t the gimme when Mullen was coaching like they are now. Hell, we were pretty proud of ourselves for beating them in 2017, weren’t we?
You said they were not bad for a majority of those years but I should know better than to present you with facts.

Wexahu

You said they were not bad for a majority of those years but I should know better than to present you with facts.

They weren’t “bad” for a majority of those years. Those teams would’ve beat the last couple Arkansas teams by 20+ points. Jeezus dude, do you really think the Arkansas teams of the Mullen years were comparable to the 2018-2019 versions? I never said they were great, or even good, but 33-39 in 9 years of SEC West football is not bad at all for a program like MSU. And it’s better than what Leach will do IMO. Do you disagree?

Planks

Leach was notorious for a Briles-like OOC schedule when he was at Tech. Basically started every season with a guaranteed 3-0 record. But because everyone loves Leach and hates Briles nobody brings that up.

4-0 record in OOC because Leach was coach during the years before the round robin schedule.

"In 10 seasons as the head coach at Texas Tech (2000-09), Leach guided the Red Raiders to a 84-43 record."

They went 60-65 in the 10 years since.

Damn was Tech stupid to fire him.

I feel like the Big 12 has been deeper and more challenging in the 10 years since Leach left (2009) than it was during the Leach years.

-Oklahoma State took the next step as a program under Grundy, including a 2011 Big 12 title and Orange Bowl victory.
-K State went up a level as a program after Synders return, including a 2012 Big 12 title.
-Baylor went from a national laughingstock to a contender under Briles/Rhule, including Big 12 titles in 2013 and 2014.
-TCU joined the league and finished in the top 10 three times, including a big 12 title in 2014.
-Iowa State is now always a tough out with a great coach in Matt Campbell.

Yes Leach had to deal with Oklahoma and Texas always being good, but after those two I feel like the Big 12 schedule just wasn’t as tough. I don’t think Leach’s record at Tech would be as good if he had stayed.

Plus, Leach’s offense was super revolutionary during his time at Tech. Defenses simply didn’t have the personnel or the know how to stop it. That wouldn’t have been the case in recent years.

Last edited:

Big Frog II

Leach was notorious for a Briles-like OOC schedule when he was at Tech. Basically started every season with a guaranteed 3-0 record. But because everyone loves Leach and hates Briles nobody brings that up.
We hate Briles because he and his gang allowed wholesale rape to go on in Waco.

froginmn

Let's be honest. Mullen didn't play anybody OOC either. Two games against a P5, and he lost both - 21-3 (to the Cowboys) and 42-31 (Ga Tech).

His OOC included one FCS per year and the likes of La Tech, Troy, UMass, UAB, South Alabama (two of those most every year) along with the FCS.

His SEC wins were milquetoast too. 8 wins against Kentucky, five against Ole Miss, five against Arky, two Vandy...

Leach will do fine if he keeps playing Mullen's schedule.

Last edited: