• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs OSU Game Thread

Pharm Frog

The Frogs ran a good bit of ball screen action today. It may have looked different because of the way OSU defended it.

They 'soft hedged' a lot (Samuel's defender drops down instead of stepping up like on a hard hedge). Trying to take away the pass to Samuel on a rim run or a lob.

Jamie changed it up and put the ball in Des' hands. When they 'soft hedged', he hit a couple of 3s. Not sure that dropping back is very smart when Des has the ball.

I’m pretty certain it’s not very smart. There was one possession in the second half when we ran it with Bello and he missed. What amazed me is that Grayer wasn’t called for some of those crushing backcourt picks.

Purp

The Frogs ran a good bit of ball screen action today. It may have looked different because of the way OSU defended it.

They 'soft hedged' a lot (Samuel's defender drops down instead of stepping up like on a hard hedge). Trying to take away the pass to Samuel on a rim run or a lob.

Jamie changed it up and put the ball in Des' hands. When they 'soft hedged', he hit a couple of 3s. Not sure that dropping back is very smart when Des has the ball.
I noticed that too. They routinely dropped a big into the paint when KS set a pick to prevent the lob. We should have taken better advantage of it bc there's was a ton of space for the shooter once KS rolled to the hole, but there seemed to be a lid on both baskets for much of the game.

Skip Jansen

I noticed that too. They routinely dropped a big into the paint when KS set a pick to prevent the lob. We should have taken better advantage of it bc there's was a ton of space for the shooter once KS rolled to the hole, but there seemed to be a lid on both baskets for much of the game.

You're right. It took awhile for Ed and Bello to adapt. They both looked surprised that when they turned the corner there was nobody there. Probably a little too tentative early in the game. Good adjustment by Jamie to initiate the action with Des.

tcumaniac

Attended the game today and had a really good time. Pretty respectable crowd and fun environment. Only going to get better with the students getting back from break and playing bigger name teams.

I imagine there will be a lot of Red Raiders in the house a week from Tuesday, but hoping we hold our own give our boys a good home crowd.

CountryFrog

The problem I have at times is that the same posters who ridicule anyone who posts something that they deem is negative about the football team are the very ones who downgrade the hoops team, sometimes at will.

I see this team as being way better than many on here believe. Maybe we’re not a top 4 team in the league but we can compete with any team. Our team isn’t perfect but they play hard and seem to have good chemistry.
You do see the difference in the two programs, though, right? The football program has about 20 years of mostly sustained success including several top 10 finishes. The basketball program is the exact opposite of that.

I'm not in favor of anyone blasting any of these kids in any sport, but there's also a lot of reasons why people quickly get down about the basketball team. There's pretty much zero recent success in that sport for any of us to hang our hat on. We're all hoping for the best but it's been nothing but hope for most of this century.

Skip Jansen

I’m pretty certain it’s not very smart. There was one possession in the second half when we ran it with Bello and he missed. What amazed me is that Grayer wasn’t called for some of those crushing backcourt picks.

Yep. Technically, what OSU was doing defensively was 'ice and drop'. It's the same as a 'soft hedge' except you force the ball handler to 'refuse' the ball screen. The principle is the same.

I apologize if I get too technical with basketball terms. I guess I don't know how to explain it any differently.

Moose Stuff

Attended the game today and had a really good time. Pretty respectable crowd and fun environment. Only going to get better with the students getting back from break and playing bigger name teams.

I imagine there will be a lot of Red Raiders in the house a week from Tuesday, but hoping we hold our own give our boys a good home crowd.

scheiss the Red Raiders

AroundWorldFrog

Yep. Technically, what OSU was doing defensively was 'ice and drop'. It's the same as a 'soft hedge' except you force the ball handler to 'refuse' the ball screen. The principle is the same.

I apologize if I get too technical with basketball terms. I guess I don't know how to explain it any differently.
Great explanations. I appreciate it.

Peacefrog

Degenerate

I coached my first game for 8 year old boys earlier today so I totally understand all of this completely.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Yeah it looked like OSU was guarding against it, to try and take it away. Samuel was setting them up top, I just didn't see him rolling down a lot from it. Thanks for the explanation.

We keep playing bad, yet we keep winning. Just not sure how long this will last.
The amount of travels and other bad turnovers is just truly astounding.
I don't think I traveled once after the age of 6.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Did you win?
Sadly, no. Lost the opener 8-6. I spent all week drawing up the perfect game plan to neutralize the size advantage the Polar Bears had over us, but if the kids don’t execute what’s a coach supposed to do? I wanted to push the pace. They were bigger but we were faster. Instead, the kids all bunched up in one place in one corner of the court and either double dribbled or traveled. It was a disaster.

I totally understand the difficult job college and pro coaches have now.

Moose Stuff

Sadly, no. Lost the opener 8-6. I spent all week drawing up the perfect game plan to neutralize the size advantage the Polar Bears had over us, but if the kids don’t execute what’s a coach supposed to do? I wanted to push the pace. They were bigger but we were faster. Instead, the kids all bunched up in one place in one corner of the court and either double dribbled or traveled. It was a disaster.

You should try constant yelling.

y2kFrog

We keep playing bad, yet we keep winning. Just not sure how long this will last.
The amount of travels and other bad turnovers is just truly astounding.
I don't think I traveled once after the age of 6.

Somehow the other teams just keep playing worse...or maybe its because we play pretty good defense. We play hard, have good athletes, and a rim protector. It's a good combination you know...

jake102

Sounds like your seat is getting a little warm there.

Somehow the other teams just keep playing worse...or maybe its because we play pretty good defense. We play hard, have good athletes, and a rim protector. It's a good combination you know...

A rim protector who can't score and who will be useless against teams that can shoot a 3. Ok State was shooting under .100 from the 3 last few games.

PurpleBlood87

Watch "Kicking & Screaming" and "LadyBugs" for coaching pointers.