• The KillerFrogs

DMN: 3 reasons why TCU could be worse in 2020: Frogs to replace several stars on depleted roster

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
3 reasons why TCU could be worse in 2020: Frogs have to replace several stars on a depleted roster

By Grant McGalliard

Earlier this week, we gave you three reasons why the TCU Horned Frogs could see a massive improvement in 2020.

But what if none of that comes to fruition? What if the Frogs’ 5-7 record in 2019 isn’t an aberration, but rather a sign of things to come?

Here are three reasons why TCU football may not improve at all next season.

Read more at https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/t...replace-several-stars-from-a-depleted-roster/

Moose Stuff

Pretty empty article filled with what ifs and surface level knowledge... par for the course.

I certainly agree that we COULD be worse. Rebuilt OL, young RBs, lost two best players on defense, coaching questions.... I mean I’m actually a bit optimistic but it’s possible.

4 Oaks Frog

The way to nail an article, and be 100% correct every time...”Frogs could be better, yet the could be worse. Of course, they could be exactly the same.” Is suppose the latter will come next week from the DMN.
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

tcumaniac

I certainly agree that we COULD be worse. Rebuilt OL, young RBs, lost two best players on defense, coaching questions.... I mean I’m actually a bit optimistic but it’s possible.
I'm not worried about our young RBs at all. I think they will be studs, and I think they'll easily both be better than one of the RBs that regularly got the ball these past few seasons.

But to your initial point, yes it definitely could be worse:

Young and inexperienced OL, WRs who have underwhelmed and disappointed since the day Doctson left, our depth at QB if Max were to get hurt, our defensive line losing Ross and still having no proven pass rushers on the edge. And seemingly the same guy calling plays on offense that was calling them last year.

As someone that's always susceptible to convincing myself we're going to go 12-0 the upcoming season, at this point my expectations for next season are as tempered as ever.

Moose Stuff

I'm not worried about our young RBs at all. I think they will be studs, and I think they'll easily both be better than one of the RBs that regularly got the ball these past few seasons.

Young and inexperienced OL, WRs who have underwhelmed and disappointed since the day Doctson left, our depth at QB if Max were to get hurt, our defensive line losing Ross and still having no proven pass rushers on the edge. And seemingly the same guy calling plays on offense that was calling them last year.

As someone that's always susceptible to convincing myself we're going to go 12-0 the upcoming season, at this point my expectations for next season are as tempered as ever.

I’m pumped about the young RBs as well. Just pointing out that they’re young and unproven so you never know.

And I would agree that currently our QB depth is kinda horrifying if Baldwin continues to have lingering health issues.

Eight

the only concern i have with the young backs is the transition to the physical difference between the defenders they faced in high school and college. would have to think they have gone or will go full contact in practice at some time so it won't be a complete shock, but they haven't had to handle the week to week pounding at this level yet.

would also say there is the requirements in pass protection that i doubt either had at hirschi or newton

definitely agree on questions in both sides of the line and do thing landing a back up behind duggan is key with the health issues of baldwin and williams

Limp Lizard

the only concern i have with the young backs is the transition to the physical difference between the defenders they faced in high school and college. would have to think they have gone or will go full contact in practice at some time so it won't be a complete shock, but they haven't had to handle the week to week pounding at this level yet.

would also say there is the requirements in pass protection that i doubt either had at hirschi or newton

definitely agree on questions in both sides of the line and do thing landing a back up behind duggan is key with the health issues of baldwin and williams
At least we did not have to play them a lot as true Freshmen. Every year that passes their bodies get stronger and more resilient. The hit odometer is pretty low on them coming into this season.
I especially want to see more of Foster. Although it was mop-up time against Kansas, he looked a lot like his HS highlights. Averaged over 8 ypc and showed quite a sense of balance. Does not go down easily.

Wexahu

My primary reasons for optimism is one, we aren't going to be starting a true freshman QB and two, I think there might be some net addition by subtraction with some of the guys moving on because my hunch is I don't think we've had the best locker room these past couple years. But we could be worse. If we aren't much better, a 1-2 record heading into conference play is a very real possibility and that would really suck.

Dman890

I think 7-5 is a realistic prediction for next year. However, I predicted we would go 7-5 this last year, and we went 5-7.

My rule of thumb, is that since joining the big 12 we win 7 games or less or 10 games or more. We are never solid, it's always feast or famine. And we are closer to famine than feasting next year.