• The KillerFrogs

I've been looking but no apparent explanation.

Froggish

None of these moves make a lick of sense. Meach has been here, had his schemes trashed, his ideas ridiculed, and was run off for his troubles. Now, after several years in the Wilderness, he comes crawling back? Why the hell hire him back just a few years after you ran him off? Why the hell take a job with a guy who ran your ass off just a few years prior? And, what do you expect to do at said job once you get there, considering the past?

Aside from all that, what makes anybody think that a few more wrinkles in an increasingly dopey (and blandly predictable) offense will somehow result in Wild Football Success? Are we suddenly coached by the Underpants Gnomes?

The disturbing trend is that, as a team, TCU has seen basic fundamentals erode over the last three seasons. Blocking. Tackling. Form. The rest of team Esprit de Corps has wasted away as well. Very little poise. Hardly any confidence. Everybody seems to be waiting for The Big Screw Up that will lose the game, and it inevitably does.

Hiring Meach back doesn't do a damned thing to address the aforementioned issues.

After his time in KS I’m not sure anyone really wanted a Meachum. He pretty much lit his rep on fire and burned it down. TCU seems like the pinnacle of his career and he’s trying like hell to get back...

asleep003

We need Doug with our OL, more than any other position coaching..He was a 3 year starter for OSU that went to 3 bowls... with all Big 8 honors.

He is not going to be the QB coach... what is the next most important position in the offense... correct, the OL and that is where he belongs ! Move Anderson to TEs.

Last edited:

tcujsauce

A WHOLE BUNCH of the stuff posted on here on a daily basis is wrong.

giphy.gif

4th. down

We need Doug with our OL, more than any other position coaching..He was a 3 year starter for OSU that went to 3 bowls... with all Big 8 honors.

He is not going to be the QB coach... what is the next most important position in the offense... correct, the OL and that is where he belongs ! Move Anderson to TEs.

Won't happen, too sensible.

Eight

Regardless of who calls the plays or what his role is in there, Meach is a damn fine WR coach.

He will help our WRs in every phase of their game: running better routes, catching the ball and blocking. That is why GP brought him back. We need help there. Period. Forget egos. Forget playcalling. We needed an upgrade coaching WRs and we got it.

Now, about the playcalling......................o_O

why fix only one problem when the offense has multiple issues?

it is possible to find a receiver coach who can teach the position and help with design and implementation of an effective passing scheme.

Froggish

why fix only one problem when the offense has multiple issues?

it is possible to find a receiver coach who can teach the position and help with design and implementation of an effective passing scheme.

Im guessing that is what they hope Meach does for us..

Eight

Im guessing that is what they hope Meach does for us..

which brings us right back to the situation we found the offense in 2016.

in fact the projected 2020 offense has more challenges than the 2016 unit.

meacham and cumbie both are from the leach passing system that doesn't use multiple formations, motions, shifts, rpo, or a very complex route design.

that last part might sound good, but look at what happened to the passing game in 2016 with those simple route concepts

there is a reason most successful disciples of leach have evolved their offensive systems

back_in_black

Moderators

meacham and cumbie both are from the leach passing system that doesn't use multiple formations, motions, shifts, rpo, or a very complex route design.

that last part might sound good, but look at what happened to the passing game in 2016 with those simple route concepts

there is a reason most successful disciples of leach have evolved their offensive systems

Have you seen the difference between what we ran in 2014 and what we run today? We had a lot of different formations and moved people around before each play. We had wide splits at times, we mixed in the option, pistol, etc. Our offense today looks like the 2013 offense. Meacham ran the offense for 3 years, 2 of those 3 we finished in the top 6 in total offense. 2016 was a down year but back then everyone blamed the QB.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

Are we seriously dealing with guys who are True Believers in a particular system? So much so that they must try and fit the player into the scheme, rather than tailor the scheme to the player?

Admittedly, the lack of fundamentals makes true evaluation of talent difficult, but it is obvious that some guys would be better utilized in different spots (Ex: Reagor being sometimes lined up on the inside, being covered by an LB or Safety, and taking advantage of the mismatch). I truly hope we are not going to be a program where square pegs are hammered into round holes, simply because of a slavish devotion to a particular "system."

That's just dumb.

Froggish

Have you seen the difference between what we ran in 2014 and what we run today? We had a lot of different formations and moved people around before each play. We had wide splits at times, we mixed in the option, pistol, etc. Our offense today looks like the 2013 offense. Meacham ran the offense for 3 years, 2 of those 3 we finished in the top 6 in total offense. 2016 was a down year but back then everyone blamed the QB.

I don’t recall using any motion or shifting under Meach. He’ll tell you he has like 5 base formations. In fact most Air Raid guys brag about that simplicity. He did build on our run game set ups with adding in some pistol and RPO but the WR sets were all super simple. In fact one of our issues is that the lingering simplification has negatively impacted Cumbies scheme because he doesn’t know any other way.

Eight

i could be way off base, wouldn't be the first time, but most of what you talk about is in the frogs run game and there has been change in the formations and such in 2017, 2018, and 2018.

i thought some of the best coaching the has taken place since sonny has been the oc was in the last two regular season games in 2018 and those actually provided reason for optimism that maybe we would see some continued growth in 2019.

the one constant in the run game from 2017-19 in my mind and again i definitely maybe wrong is the change from what the frogs did in 2017 to 2018 to whatever the hell they were trying to do last year.

there has not be a consistent scheme to build on and it is almost as if they start over each year. again, i could be way off base, but what they tried to do in the run game this year was not what i recall from 2017.

passing game there has been some evolution, but not a great deal. my recollection is still a tendency to go 2 by 2 as a base set or setting reagor to one side by himself where he can be pressed at the line by the corner and covered over the top with the safety.

maybe i missed where they tried to set up personnel mismatches by moving reagor inside and off the line and goodness knows i dont' recall many drag routes against safeties and linebackers.

4th. down

I'd rather have Max go out there and draw an invisible play on his hand with his finger.

Well, [ Finebaum ].

The Frog faithful has expected too much from GP as a CEO of the football program. Defensive CO., probably second to none, and his hires and development of his defensive coaches has been very good. But.......defense is not the problem, and IMO he has whiffed on energizing and improving his offense with the 2 new reported offensive hires and not being able to land Jerry Kill as of yet even though he's been working on that aspect for over a month.

At the end of the day, it is much to do about nothing, based on GP's offensive efforts.