• The KillerFrogs

Mike Leach going to Miss State

HG73

He just signed up to play 3 top 10 teams every year. And aggy, arky and a rivalry game with ole miss. I like Mike but that's coaching suicide.

Moose Stuff

I don’t see this working as well as Miss St people are gonna want it to. He’s gonna hover around 5-8 wins and they’ll get impatient and fire him only to replace him with someone who won’t do any better. If they will be realistic (they won’t be) they could have a nice little run with an entertaining coach.

Eight

He just signed up to play 3 top 10 teams every year. And aggy, arky and a rivalry game with ole miss. I like Mike but that's coaching suicide.

agree, but with leach being 58 and frustrated about the lack of financial support at wazzu i think this is him moving to the final job and getting paid on the way.

he was making $4M at wazzu and there was a $750K retention bonus so i would guess his salary will be somewhere near that amount a year.

ThisIsOurTime

This is an interesting move. It will be tough for him to beat LSU and Bama every year but I could see him develop a spoiler team similar to how Tech was under his helm. I hope he doesn't look to recruit in the state of Texas though as we don't need any more recruiting competition.

This is an interesting move. It will be tough for him to beat LSU and Bama every year but I could see him develop a spoiler team similar to how Tech was under his helm. I hope he doesn't look to recruit in the state of Texas though as we don't need any more recruiting competition.

He will get better recruits at Mississippi State than what he could get at Washington State. He complained about not being able to beat Washington because WSU can't compete in recruiting. Now he can get top 20 recruiting classes every year at MSU (which is way better than what he could get at Texas Tech). At MSU he will be able to recruit better than he has ever at any of his locations. Good move for him as long as MSU knows he is going to say and do some uncomfortable things.

TCUdirtbag

He will be annutter failure there but will be entertaining.

This is the correct take.

He’ll get 3-4 cream puff OOC wins, split annual matchups vs Ole Miss, Arkansas, Kentucky, and A&M, and win a game or two he shouldn’t every year. He’ll also get drilled by top 10 teams on the reg and have a lot of 7-8 win seasons. He’ll be funny, but he’ll pull some stunts after a mediocre or worse season in 3-4 years and get kicked to the curb. He’ll wish he stayed at Wazzu, sue Mississippi State, and spend the rest of his days in Key West.

Wexahu

Leach is not a poor coach and I don’t necessarily think this is a bad hire, but IMO he is right alongside Holgerson as a guy who has an inflated reputation as a coach just because he’s a fun, interesting personality. Kind of a Jason Garrett in reverse. But I get that it’s largely an entertainment business so if you’re gonna be a pretty average coach, you’re better off not being boring.

He’ll be very hard pressed to match what Mullen did there. The Air Raid isn’t the hard to stop novelty it once was, and I fully expect his defenses to get hung out to dry at the expense of offense just like they always have.

4th. down

Leach is not a poor coach and I don’t necessarily think this is a bad hire, but IMO he is right alongside Holgerson as a guy who has an inflated reputation as a coach just because he’s a fun, interesting personality. Kind of a Jason Garrett in reverse. But I get that it’s largely an entertainment business so if you’re gonna be a pretty average coach, you’re better off not being boring.

He’ll be very hard pressed to match what Mullen did there. The Air Raid isn’t the hard to stop novelty it once was, and I fully expect his defenses to get hung out to dry at the expense of offense just like they always have.

IMO, he can still coach. Tech letting him go was a major blunder on their part and the history since, proves it. Washington State was worse than nothing before he arrived and he revived them. Unorthodox, yes he is, and somewhat entertaining.

Hard to really know what MSt. is expecting but believe he will be between 5-7 to 8-4 during his tenure as they went 3-6 conf. in '19. He will have better talent than when at TT or WSt. Mullen was not a world beater (33-39 conf.).

Someone has to be the bottom of the SEC West. You never want to be at the bottom or you could become the next Kansas for a decade. Thus the importance of TCU winning again in the Big 12.

However with Mississippi State nobody will want to play them as these will be Leach's most talented air raid teams ever. He might lose because of defense and Air Raid offenses have hard time punching it in when they get in the red zone. He will be entertaining as always.

Wexahu

Mullen was not a world beater (33-39 conf.).

Not a world beater I guess, but 33-39 is pretty damn good for that school in that division in that conference. Especially when you consider that for a majority of those years Arkansas and Ole Miss were not bad football teams.