• The KillerFrogs

Basketball Coaching

Skip Jansen

I’ll say, I think Dixon is getting as much out of the players as possible right now.

I thought Jamie did as good a job tonight as anytime this year.

Running the offense out of a 1-4 flattened the defense out and made KSU guard up off the baseline.

The help side defense was the best I've seen this year. They were really connected and basically cut off any dribble penetration, especially on the baseline.

Farmfrog

bit early for victory laps

frogs have played the two worst teams in the big 12 and found a way late to win both games which is good news.

reason for concern is frogs played the two worst teams in the big 12 and things are about to get real with the schedule.

do they learn from these two games? are they ready to face better teams?

frogs are going to face teams at least as talented as them and some better.

they must play better if they want to finish mid-big 12 this year

I never said we were going to win the conference. My hyperbole is because so many, not necessarily you, said we were the worst team in the league and I said we weren’t and several people thought I was crazy.

Their team isn’t great but I don’t believe ISU is one the two worst teams in the conference. Every game for the Frogs will be a battle because we can’t make FT’s and we don’t get enough easy baskets.

Pharm Frog

I thought Jamie did as good a job tonight as anytime this year.

Running the offense out of a 1-4 flattened the defense out and made KSU guard up off the baseline.

The help side defense was the best I've seen this year. They were really connected and basically cut off any dribble penetration, especially on the baseline.

What is he going to do when teams start overplaying and denying all around the three point line and letting us dribble drive? I'm not sure we can score 40 points if we're forced to take open shots from 6-10 feet. Just barely kidding.

Skip Jansen

What is he going to do when teams start overplaying and denying all around the three point line and letting us dribble drive? I'm not sure we can score 40 points if we're forced to take open shots from 6-10 feet. Just barely kidding.

Thats basically what he did tonight. He was anticipating KSU doing that. Our wings started out much deeper than normal and made them defend more pin downs.

Genbukan

As a basketball coach, I say having players is best.

Welcome back Skip. Couple of questions ....

Regarding the freshman - i can see some talent in both Farabello and Fuller. I'm at a total loss to see any potential at all in Smith. What am I missing with him?

What are your thoughts on the O'Bannon kid. 2 and a half years at USC and only played a handful of games with injuries that other kids can sometimes play through. Is he still a 5 star talent or another example of recruiting ranking fallibility?

Skip Jansen

Welcome back Skip. Couple of questions ....

Regarding the freshman - i can see some talent in both Farabello and Fuller. I'm at a total loss to see any potential at all in Smith. What am I missing with him?

What are your thoughts on the O'Bannon kid. 2 and a half years at USC and only played a handful of games with injuries that other kids can sometimes play through. Is he still a 5 star talent or another example of recruiting ranking fallibility?

Smith is playing out of position at the 4 (basically played the 2 in HS) but the biggest issue is he hasn't shot the ball as well as he is capable. I think it's just a confidence thing. His versatility is his strength and I expect he will breakout pretty soon.

As for O'bannon, it's kinda hard to know since he hasn't played much. Scouts mostly projected him due to his size. He was never an elite shooter and needs to improve in that area to become a factor in the B12.

Farmfrog

Skip, you are talking way over most of the people on this board when say pin downs and flattening the defense. I tried a few years back to impart a little knowledge and it didn’t take. Hoping you have better luck but not going to hold my breath.

Do you think Smith will play more two and three next season? Where do you think Easley will get his most minutes at?

Skip Jansen

Skip, you are talking way over most of the people on this board when say pin downs and flattening the defense. I tried a few years back to impart a little knowledge and it didn’t take. Hoping you have better luck but not going to hold my breath.

Do you think Smith will play more two and three next season? Where do you think Easley will get his most minutes at?

I probably post with a hoops vernacular too much. I hope nobody thinks I'm being condescending. I'm not trying to be at all. It's just habit I guess.

As for Easley, I think he'll be a hybrid 3/4. Probably get most of his minutes at the 4. He'll be a hard cover at that spot.

Smith will be at the 3 mostly. He may play some at the 4 as well. Depends on how ready Terren Frank is.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
Jamie Dixon is a big time coach, one of the top in America. We would never have been able to land him if he weren't one of us. I don't blame him at all for going for the UCLA job (or Duke or NC or Indiana or Kansas).It is only that level of job that he would be attracted too. For whatever reasons (like TCU had well thought out golden handcuffs on him that made it too expensive for him to go) it didn't work out. Now we should realize what we have and give him what he needs to be really successful here, like a home court advantage. We buy the tickets but don't show up, especially the donors.The students leave at halftime. Jamie wanted the students behind the benches, but we are $ obsessed. The level of recruits he has brought here is unprecedented at TCU, but the new reality of basketball is a revolving door of players who all think they are the man and can easily transfer. He doesn't like it, but he has adjusted. We were within an eyelash of having no coach and 2 players on the roster this summer while watching Bane star for UCLA. Instead he has built a remarkable team from scratch and is 2-0 in the Big 12. TCU has got to be all in with Jamie from here on out or he could do better.

Anyone who does not have a reasonable understanding of where this team is at the moment is going to be disappointed and panicky this season. Anyone who recognizes the real promise and talent that is here to be developed will be optimistic

Skip Jansen

Jamie Dixon is a big time coach, one of the top in America. We would never have been able to land him if he weren't one of us. I don't blame him at all for going for the UCLA job (or Duke or NC or Indiana or Kansas).It is only that level of job that he would be attracted too. For whatever reasons (like TCU had well thought out golden handcuffs on him that made it too expensive for him to go) it didn't work out. Now we should realize what we have and give him what he needs to be really successful here, like a home court advantage. We buy the tickets but don't show up, especially the donors.The students leave at halftime. Jamie wanted the students behind the benches, but we are $ obsessed. The level of recruits he has brought here is unprecedented at TCU, but the new reality of basketball is a revolving door of players who all think they are the man and can easily transfer. He doesn't like it, but he has adjusted. We were within an eyelash of having no coach and 2 players on the roster this summer while watching Bane star for UCLA. Instead he has built a remarkable team from scratch and is 2-0 in the Big 12. TCU has got to be all in with Jamie from here on out or he could do better.

I don't disagree with anything you said. And no matter how anyone feels about Jamie, they should come out and support those kids that bust their butt on a daily basis and give us something to cheer about.

First TCU team to ever start 2-0 in the Big 12. I know people are downplaying the first two opponents. But what does that have to do with supporting our kids? Nothing.

I know most of us think there is something special about TCU. But... is it really special to only support our kids if they live up to our expectations of them? Nah, pretty much sounds Just like Baylor and UT to me.