• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs. Kansas State

flyfishingfrog

The Dennis, Farabello and Samuel turnovers in the last two minutes were simply inexcusable. Just grab the ball and don’t let go, we had the lead and clock. Just remarkable

thankfully Samuel redeemed himself and team gutted the win
The Bello one is the turnover that worries me the most

I don’t know much about projecting talent to future performance

But Bello looks great at seeing the floor and making opps for other players
However in that same breath he also seems to not be a great ball handler off the dribble and struggles to make a move for himself or even shoot sometimes

hopefully those are things that are just due to youth and game speed

Skip Jansen

However in that same breath he also seems to not be a great ball handler off the dribble and struggles to make a move for himself or even shoot sometimes

He definitely needs to get stronger, just like most freshmen. I think he finally has cleared his biggest hurdle, and that's gaining Jamie's confidence.

He's going to be a facilitator first. That's just the kind of player he is. As time goes by, I think you'll see him start hunting shots a little more.

But for now, I like what he brings. The best player on TCU's basketball needs a PG that defers and can set him up. I think everyone on the board would be shocked at Des' production when Bello gets 19+ minutes/gm compared to his production when Bello plays less than that.

Don't get me wrong. I like what Ed brings, but he has a different skill set. He a scoring PG.

I think they compliment one another pretty well. Good to see them getting some minutes together on the floor lately as well.

CountryFrog

I don't think this program is at a point where we can minimize in any way winning a Big 12 road game. We've had so much trouble doing that since joining the league that I think any and every conference road win should be celebrated regardless of opponent or any other circumstances around the game.

Once we get to the point where we're competing for conference championships then maybe we start looking at things a little different but not right now.

Eight

I agree. Different levels of good, certainly, but no one who is flat out bad.

worst though is a comparative term and i do agree with lvh that iowa state and kstate are the worst/weakest/whatever term you want to use teams in the big 12.

i realize some degree with those being the bottom of the conference which is fine

there are a number of mediocre teams right now in the conference and i think as some have pointed out that is where the frogs find themselves.

teams with at least a couple of holes that they can't fill this year that could pose big problems. a common one is there are a number of teams in the big 12 that just are not good shooting teams especially behind the 3 point line.

top 4 teams right now to me are kansas, baylor, wvu, and tech. rank them how you want, but right now i wouldn't put money on tcu taking a game from those four. not saying the frogs can't, but that based upon match ups, style of play etc... i don't see this tcu team beating one of the 4 in the 8 games unless you have a couple of players have exceptional shooting nights.

that leaves the frogs games 8 games against ou, texas, osu, isu, and kstate that i think are going to be key for the frogs trying to win 7+ and possibly qualifying for a post season tournament

CountryFrog

worst though is a comparative term and i do agree with lvh that iowa state and kstate are the worst/weakest/whatever term you want to use teams in the big 12.

i realize some degree with those being the bottom of the conference which is fine

there are a number of mediocre teams right now in the conference and i think as some have pointed out that is where the frogs find themselves.

teams with at least a couple of holes that they can't fill this year that could pose big problems. a common one is there are a number of teams in the big 12 that just are not good shooting teams especially behind the 3 point line.

top 4 teams right now to me are kansas, baylor, wvu, and tech. rank them how you want, but right now i wouldn't put money on tcu taking a game from those four. not saying the frogs can't, but that based upon match ups, style of play etc... i don't see this tcu team beating one of the 4 in the 8 games unless you have a couple of players have exceptional shooting nights.

that leaves the frogs games 8 games against ou, texas, osu, isu, and kstate that i think are going to be key for the frogs trying to win 7+ and possibly qualifying for a post season tournament
KSU may very well be at the bottom of the conference. So yes, from a purely comparative standpoint judging Big 12 teams against each other then I suppose you could consider them as being a bad Big 12 team. I don't know if I'd put Iowa St in that category, though. It depends on the health of Halliburton. That's a quality team when he's healthy. If he's not on the floor, though, then yes they would fall into the bad Big 12 category as well.

Ultimately though I don't think there's a massive gap between whoever is the 5th team and whoever is the 10th team and I think that anyone in the conference is capable of beating anyone else on any given night. It's also way too early imo to have much of a handle on exactly how good everyone really is. OOC schedules are so massively different from one team to the next, and teams will certainly get better as the year goes on while others may get worse with injuries or portal defections. Kansas is also always on the brink of having any of their players declared ineligible.

Skip Jansen

One additional thing-

On Bello's last turnover, he was trying to get the ball across half court to avoid a 10 second call.

zfrawg

One additional thing-

On Bello's last turnover, he was trying to get the ball across half court to avoid a 10 second call.

I was much less concerned with Bello's turnover and more so with our grad transfer PG in a similar situation. Combine those with KS's panic pass and it made for a real cluster of dumb ugly basketball to close out the game.

Dennis, in particular, has to be better in those situations as a senior leader.

Eight

I was much less concerned with Bello's turnover and more so with our grad transfer PG in a similar situation. Combine those with KS's panic pass and it made for a real cluster of dumb ugly basketball to close out the game.

Dennis, in particular, has to be better in those situations as a senior leader.

i have never understood the play of dennis at the point this year.

skip, correctly me if i am wrong, but at uta and jackson state he was more of a shooter than a passer and i believe his assist to turnover ratio for his career is less than 1 assist to every turnover.

felt dixon wasn't ready to turn the offense over to a freshman and i think that was a bit of a mistake with the frogs early schedule.

Dogfrog

He definitely needs to get stronger, just like most freshmen. I think he finally has cleared his biggest hurdle, and that's gaining Jamie's confidence.

He's going to be a facilitator first. That's just the kind of player he is. As time goes by, I think you'll see him start hunting shots a little more.

But for now, I like what he brings. The best player on TCU's basketball needs a PG that defers and can set him up. I think everyone on the board would be shocked at Des' production when Bello gets 19+ minutes/gm compared to his production when Bello plays less than that.

Don't get me wrong. I like what Ed brings, but he has a different skill set. He a scoring PG.

I think they compliment one another pretty well. Good to see them getting some minutes together on the floor lately as well.

Also, if this team ever does hit on all cylinders with KS, Bane, Nembhard, PJ, and Smith all contributing on offense, Farabello is the perfect PG for that scenario.

Eight

Also, if this team ever does hit on all cylinders with KS, Bane, Nembhard, PJ, and Smith all contributing on offense, Farabello is the perfect PG for that scenario.

i think for this team to get to the point where they have multiple scorers hitting in one game it will take farabello playing the point.

he is the one guy whose game is built to be effective giving up the ball opposed to a couple of guys who can score points, but have a tendency to be a ball stopper

Farmfrog

i have never understood the play of dennis at the point this year.

skip, correctly me if i am wrong, but at uta and jackson state he was more of a shooter than a passer and i believe his assist to turnover ratio for his career is less than 1 assist to every turnover.

felt dixon wasn't ready to turn the offense over to a freshman and i think that was a bit of a mistake with the frogs early schedule.

He has always played off the ball but we needed him at the point. I was telling people I didn’t see how he fit into this team but he hasn’t been that bad honestly.

I do wish FF got more run because he sees the floor better and plays just as good of defense.