• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs Xavier

TRF51

We used to play in about as stale an arena as you could find and paid our coach less than $1M. If we’re gonna pay a guy $3M plus at least we should expect well-coached teams.

Over 100 teams make the postseason. Considering the money that’s been pumped into the program the bar needs to be a little higher than that.

I agree with this statement. We are not the same program we use to be. We have top-notch facilities, in a hotbed for recruiting, great school, we play in one of the top conferences in college basketball. We also have the ability to pay our coaches' market value. We have every right to demand more than what we are getting. If he can't get it done soon, I am confident we can and should find someone who can.

Wexahu

I agree with this statement. We are not the same program we use to be. We have top-notch facilities, in a hotbed for recruiting, great school, we play in one of the top conferences in college basketball. We also have the ability to pay our coaches' market value. We have every right to demand more than what we are getting. If he can't get it done soon, I am confident we can and should find someone who can.

Another way to look at it is if we aren't making the postseason, that means we are most likely finishing 9th or 10th in a 10-team league. We better be making the postseason every year, that should be like the bare minimum of expectations.

Billy Clyde

Bane seems to've regressed something awful. He was always overly muscle-bound, but looks like an absolute stiff now. Bad handle, bad jumper, seems to play hard but unless he has a dramatic turnaround this season, he's not even a D-league prospect.
As another mentioned, I still have hope because of all the new guys needing time to gel, but those preseason projections of us finishing 10th are looking a lot less ridiculous now.
If we are gonna suck at outside shooting as bad as it seems, we better get a lot more physical in the paint. I love Samuel but not much else about this group... Although Nembhard is built and moves just like Kobe, and seems to be getting better. If he continues to improve then he and Samuel can be a solid foundation to build on.

CountryFrog

Fine line between "poorly coached" and "team with poor shooting." In a sport that basically comes down to making and missing shots, there's not a whole lot of coaching that can overcome terrible shooting. Every team we play knows that we can't shoot and will defend us accordingly.

Of course, ultimately the coaches are responsible for bringing players in so you have to hold them at least somewhat accountable for either not prioritizing bringing in guys who can shoot or poorly evaluating/projecting guys who they thought would be good shooters.

Froginbedford

Four years ago, people on this site were wetting themselves, first touting Jamie Dixon as the obvious choice for basketball coach and then because he was hired to be head coach....Now there are more than one crying that his time on campus is or should be short....Gary Patterson could do no wrong for the first 15 years of his tenure....Jamie Dixon has had only three years under his belt here....How narrow our window of tolerance....I feel the frustration when the Frogs are not conference champions (yes, we should want to be every year; no, we should not expect to be every year)....Since none of us have power over the players and can't fire them for their shortcomings, we determine that the coach must be put on the guillotine....The game has passed the coach by....The coach is complacent and satisfied with the status quo....The coach is out of touch with the players....The coach is paid too much for the results that occur....All of these things have been posted since the football loss to SMU in September, and now they are being reposted in December....Sharks are attracted to disturbance....

Realize that the Big 12 ironically was created for football and has developed into one of the tougher P5 basketball conferences....Loss of players recruited before Jamie was hired and loss of his own recruits...academic anemia, prima dona expectations of playing time, or whatever else might be cited...put the Frogs in the position which led coaches and writers to predict a last-place finish in the conference this year....

Xavier is a baby-blue blood basketball team...one which none of us should expect to steamroll, even though the Frogs had an 8-2 record beforehand....

I don't know the panacea to the problem, but I see the same September sharks circling....

Eight

Bane seems to've regressed something awful. He was always overly muscle-bound, but looks like an absolute stiff now. Bad handle, bad jumper, seems to play hard but unless he has a dramatic turnaround this season, he's not even a D-league prospect.
As another mentioned, I still have hope because of all the new guys needing time to gel, but those preseason projections of us finishing 10th are looking a lot less ridiculous now.
If we are gonna suck at outside shooting as bad as it seems, we better get a lot more physical in the paint. I love Samuel but not much else about this group... Although Nembhard is built and moves just like Kobe, and seems to be getting better. If he continues to improve then he and Samuel can be a solid foundation to build on.

please don't compare rj to kobe. one is one of the greatest players in the history of the nba and at three years out of high school had twice scored double digits a game in two nba seasons.

the other is to this point in his career a .35% shooter from the floor and a .26% shooter from behind the arc.

last year alex robinson caught a great deal of flack for always dominating the ball, but in watching this season unfold roughly a third of the way in we are seeing the very same offense with alex replaced with rj.

my biggest fear actually is not that someone on the tcu bench thinks this is a good half court offensive strategy, but that they lose one or both of fuller and farabello

as far as the issue in the paint, that point has been raised by some of us since before the since and we were told it won't matter because of spreading the floor etc... bull [ Finebaum ].

there is no help at the 4 because the frogs don't have a legit 4 on the roster. samuel is giving you what he can, but he is getting no help inside and ledee has shown some disappointing tendencies.

Eight

Four years ago, people on this site were wetting themselves, first touting Jamie Dixon as the obvious choice for basketball coach and then because he was hired to be head coach....Now there are more than one crying that his time on campus is or should be short....Gary Patterson could do no wrong for the first 15 years of his tenure....Jamie Dixon has had only three years under his belt here....How narrow our window of tolerance....I feel the frustration when the Frogs are not conference champions (yes, we should want to be every year; no, we should not expect to be every year)....Since none of us have power over the players and can't fire them for their shortcomings, we determine that the coach must be put on the guillotine....The game has passed the coach by....The coach is complacent and satisfied with the status quo....The coach is out of touch with the players....The coach is paid too much for the results that occur....All of these things have been posted since the football loss to SMU in September, and now they are being reposted in December....Sharks are attracted to disturbance....

Realize that the Big 12 ironically was created for football and has developed into one of the tougher P5 basketball conferences....Loss of players recruited before Jamie was hired and loss of his own recruits...academic anemia, prima dona expectations of playing time, or whatever else might be cited...put the Frogs in the position which led coaches and writers to predict a last-place finish in the conference this year....

Xavier is a baby-blue blood basketball team...one which none of us should expect to steamroll, even though the Frogs had an 8-2 record beforehand....

I don't know the panacea to the problem, but I see the same September sharks circling....

this roster doesn't have holes in it because of anything done by any player recruited by trent johnson. that idea is total crap.

trent's recruits were the back bone of dixon's first two seasons and what this team misses aside from the reliable points they could get from vlad in the post is the toughness and grit from not only a guy like williams, but also washburn

dixon has signed 18 kids in 4 classes since he has gotten to tcu and the issues on the roster belong to no one other than he and his staff.

heck, they signed kids who shortly after they got to campus they realized the kid didn't have the talent to play at this level and it happened more than one time.

how does that happen?

no one expected tcu to steamroll xavier who is a good, but not great basketball team. what the hope i believe was for the frogs to be competitive, to show signs of improvement, but what is concerning is bad patterns from last year are popping back up on a more consistent basis.

xavier was easily the best team tcu has faced this year, but they will not be the best and more importantly xavier hasn't faced dixon's frog teams multiple times now.

does this team have the discipline and ability to execute against big 12 teams that know the offense.

Froggish

We don't move the ball very well on the offensive end and that pick n roll with Samuels is just a possession killer. It bogs the whole offense down. I'd much rather see JD go to a motion offense or some High/low. The amount of standing around we do it unreal.

Wexahu

JD and GP are very similar. Both covet hardnose defense and are stubborn to adapt on the offensive end.

To a degree but I think the difference in the two sports is important. I think playing for JD looks exhausting and like not a whole lot of fun. He shows basically zero trust in his players.

Francis Xav

To a degree but I think the difference in the two sports is important. I think playing for JD looks exhausting and like not a whole lot of fun. He shows basically zero trust in his players.
I Disagree..he leaves starters in longer than they should be. I think we are just suffering from a lack of gameplan. Many coaches are tough to play for. Bane and others have stated their enjoyment.

Wexahu

I Disagree..he leaves starters in longer than they should be. I think we are just suffering from a lack of gameplan. Many coaches are tough to play for. Bane and others have stated their enjoyment.

What are Bane and the others who are here supposed to say? I’d say the number of kids we’ve had leave the program would suggest otherwise.

Suffering from lack of a game plan....if that isn’t an indictment against a coaching staff I don’t know what is.

Billy Clyde

I wasn't comparing their game, which is obvious. I was comparing the fluid way in which they both run, elevate, change direction, and also their physical stature, which are all remarkably similar. It really isn't that difficult to see the distinction- unless you intentionally misconstrue the comment so you can be outraged.

please don't compare rj to kobe. one is one of the greatest players in the history of the nba and at three years out of high school had twice scored double digits a game in two nba seasons.

the other is to this point in his career a .35% shooter from the floor and a .26% shooter from behind the arc.

SuperTFrog

So, we won on the road tonight and are 2-0, thinking your thoughts might be wrong
I certainly appreciate this post bringing back to hammer someone and I am celebrating the win like crazy. I don’t see many more wins in our future. I think this may be a 5-6 conference win team. I think we may start 3-0, though.