• The KillerFrogs

Fixing the offense

East Coast

Tier 1
Now that it seems Coach Meachum is back, let's talk about how the frogs can fix the offense. Starting off, we averaged 30 points and a little more than 400 yards/game; which while not spectacular, was an improvement over last year and not in the awful category. IMO, it felt that way because we were incredibly inconsistent and couldn't seem to get the job done in crunch time. So what is wrong and what can we do to get even better? I believe the biggest problem is we continued to run the same basic play set we used for the hurry up offenses we ran in '14 and '15; except we slowed the offense down, which allowed the defense to get set. We also simplified the offense even further, particularly cutting back in the higher risk plays we ran in those years. We have all seen the experts talking about our simple route trees, and the lack of development in our wide receivers. These are the routes of the hurry up. It also seemed like we only had 4 basic running plays, and used a minimal amount of motion before the snap.

One option would be to go back to the hurry up, but I don't believe Coach P wants anything to do with that. That leaves us with installing a full offense, with complicated routes and more complicated reads. It doesn't matter which one, as long as it is a cohesive set of plays that work off of each other. I'd also like to see more power running formations, the power I we used to run in short yardage and at the goal line was very effective (for example). I think we have the talent to do better. Spring ball is just around the corner; hopefully the staff has been hard at work on this.

texas_sicilian

It all starts with the line, and it was abysmal this past season, and it‘s only younger and more inexperienced this year, and with a new/old coach. Praying we have a miraculous turnaround in this area.

Play calling needs to be more aggressive/creative, faster at times, fewer WR rotations, and continue to employ greater use of the TE, which surprisingly was one of the brighter spots in 19.

Oh, and catch the mother scratching ball.

Last edited:

Eight

It all starts with the line, and it was abysmal this past season, and it‘s only younger and more inexperienced this year, and with a new/old coach. Praying we have a miraculous turnaround in this area.

Play calling needs to be more aggressive/creative, faster at times, fewer WR rotations, and continue to employ greater use of the TE, which surprisingly was one of the brighter spots in 19.

Oh, and catch the mother scratching ball.

i agree that things start with better offensive line play.

next, move to a true offensive identity.

the concern is who decides upon the identity? who draws up the schemes?

Mean Purple

i agree that things start with better offensive line play.

next, move to a true offensive identity.

the concern is who decides upon the identity? who draws up the schemes?
Wonder how much better the line would have been had Lucas been there the whole season? Realize he was injured, but still a lot of experience and that line had worked together since camp.

Eight

Wonder how much better the line would have been had Lucas been there the whole season? Realize he was injured, but still a lot of experience and that line had worked together since camp.

curious how much the injured hip impacted lucas from the start of the season and ergo impacted the run game etc....

I think the most important thing TCU will have to do in the off season is get in that weight room. TCU in order to win with a young at OL is to build strength, hip control so balance, and especially SPEED as force = mass x acceleration. If TCU is young and doesn't have grown man mass like juniors and seniors they better be able to accelerate. So Don Sommer and staff have the most important job out of any coach. I hope along with the other hires they hire more staff for Coach Sommer.

Mean Purple

I think the most important thing TCU will have to do in the off season is get in that weight room. TCU in order to win with a young at OL is to build strength, hip control so balance, and especially SPEED as force = mass x acceleration. If TCU is young and doesn't have grown man mass like juniors and seniors they better be able to accelerate. So Don Sommer and staff have the most important job out of any coach. I hope along with the other hires they hire more staff for Coach Sommer.
Weight room and nutrition. That is the same item a coach I sat with at a game mentioned. The need to play meaner.

Big Frog II

I could never figure out why we rotated so many receivers in and out of the game. No continuity what so ever. No rhythm. No one seem to run a decent route, and no one blocked down field.

Plan A to fix the offense:

1. Hire a new OC who has proven to put together a cohesive scheme, teach it, and call it well on game days.

2. Hire a new OL coach who has proven himself able to recruit, teach technique and get players to execute that system on game days.

3. Thoroughly evaluate our S&C program and determine why the OL, despite their size, gets practically no push against mediocre teams and gets manhandled by good teams.

Appears that we're going with Plan B. Let's hope it works out.

Volare

No idea what you are talking about. At least a 3 year evaluation is needed before substantive changes can be made.

This is Fine.

Bruce Berry

Plan A to fix the offense:

1. Hire a new OC who has proven to put together a cohesive scheme, teach it, and call it well on game days.

2. Hire a new OL coach who has proven himself able to recruit, teach technique and get players to execute that system on game days.

3. Thoroughly evaluate our S&C program and determine why the OL, despite their size, gets practically no push against mediocre teams and gets manhandled by good teams.

Appears that we're going with Plan B. Let's hope it works out.

This plus focus on recruiting receivers who can catch the football.