• The KillerFrogs

Doug Meacham returning to the staff [MOD EDIT: Now Official]

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I too can get behind this sentiment although she apparently smokes like a chimney, which drops her some for me.

bcdb24046e163f0a82d5368a33c9ccf5.gif
WNB

Eight

I would think Dykes will go after Meach and would probably be as good as what they had.

don't see meacham and lashlee at the same level.

i know some auburn alums who don't love lashlee, but he have success at auburn and again at smu with a different style of quarterback.

Eight

Meach knows offensive football but agree, not at that level of Lash. What I DON'T WANT TO HAPPEN IS Dykes hiring Marion and his GoGo.

the question on meacham to me as a co-ordinator is he willing to adjust his system or is he set trying to replicate leach's offense.

before any talks about the success of leach, i will once again point to the comments made by jimmy lake of udub concerning they know exactly what wazzu has done the last 6 seasons in the apple cup and how wazzu has averaged just under 12 points a game over that span.

unless you have great talent like usc did this year at wr it is damn tough to run that system with all the film that is out there. not like the days when it first came out.

Last edited:

4th. down

Seems like an opportunity lost by not going with Marion, but also not a sure bet home run. Tough call.

Yeah, hear ya, but look at O, he goes and hires a 29 yr. old kid that has not done [ Finebaum ]. Is that the luck of the draw, or did O know something no other HC's knew?

The more this plays out I am now more convinced than ever that GP doesn't really relate to the offensive game but yet he defends the hell out of it and has been for his entire coaching career - to me, it's a mystery. It seems like he wants Kill or someone like him to come in and solve our offensive mess because he knows for sure Sonny nor anyone on staff can do it. Look at GP's defensive coaches - not a peep because they are good.

Froggish

Dykes going after Meach over Cumbie himself would be a giant huge statement about Cumbie. Dykes has known Cumbie for a long long time and has very little relationship with Meachum. If he passed over Cumbie for Meach...well that would pretty much validate all the negative things we think about Cumbie.

Eight

Yeah, hear ya, but look at O, he goes and hires a 29 yr. old kid that has not done [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ]. Is that the luck of the draw, or did O know something no other HC's knew?

The more this plays out I am now more convinced than ever that GP doesn't really relate to the offensive game but yet he defends the hell out of it and has been for his entire coaching career - to me, it's a mystery. It seems like he wants Kill or someone like him to come in and solve our offensive mess because he knows for sure Sonny nor anyone on staff can do it. Look at GP's defensive coaches - not a peep because they are good.

brady has brought nice concepts, route design, formations, etc...that lsu didn't have to their offense and they had a good idea what they were going to get from him because the lsu offensive staff frequently met with the saints offensive staff to discuss concepts.

brady apparently caught their attention with not only how he could draw things up, but his command of answers that got thrown at him.

looking back at the frogs since they have joined the big 12 they have only had one great offensive season (2014) and two good years (2015 and 2017). multiple co-ordinators, multiple systems, and the staff has completely turned over with the exception of anderson.

why the issues on offense? not sure, but maybe it might be because he is drawn to offensive schemes he has struggled to defend (burns at cincy and smu, meacham and cumbie, mobile quarterbacks, etc...) but no one else in the conference runs a similar defense or attacks an offense in a similar fashion.

Opintel

Moderators
This situation is driving me to drink! I am not a Stars coach...ice is for drinks; BTW, it's not that what's-his-name was drinking, it's his actions while doing so that are the problem.

Opintel guesses.

Eight

Seems like an opportunity lost by not going with Marion, but also not a sure bet home run. Tough call.

would seem the challenge when making decisions on a guy like marion is trying to discern whether the effectiveness of his offense is because of the hunh approach trying to create that "extra quarter of snaps" or because of the concepts, formations, etc...

the hunh style absolutely kills opponents who don't have depth, can't rush the passer without blitzing, and defensive backs and linebackers who aren't effective in space.

hal mumme points to a game when he was at kentucky with couch where they destroyed bama, but that bama defense wasn't built to play the spread, tempo offenses.

an offense built around the hunh concept with an emphasis on snaps might work in cusa or even the mwc, but if the frogs truly want to compete for titles in the big 12 there has to be more to the offense.

CountryFrog

Dykes going after Meach over Cumbie himself would be a giant huge statement about Cumbie. Dykes has known Cumbie for a long long time and has very little relationship with Meachum. If he passed over Cumbie for Meach...well that would pretty much validate all the negative things we think about Cumbie.
Why would Cumbie even consider SMU???