• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Froggish

That OU recruit is almost as highly ranked as the LSU recruit. Not sure how an almost 5 star getting beat by another almost 5 star shows that we don't have the players to compete. Especially at a position like O-Line, where most players take 2-3 years to become college ready.

Also, the ground is wet. Kinda hard to plant your feet when they're sliding like that.

My point is that the BlueBloods are playing with another level of athlete in the trenches then we are getting. The good news is we are getting a few of them now but as I said in my post, if we continue down the track of run first, power football, we will have a fairly low ceiling. The two guys in the video represent about 10 players at every blueblood. We are lucky to get 1-2 of those kids in every cycle.

We can absolutely compete with the right scheme that takes advantage of our athleticism. We don’t have enough horses to smash around with people. You saw that this year with 4 seniors up front and 2 senior RBs. Two years straight of conservative run first game plans. We need to open up our offense and utilize our speed better.

If you watched Louisville/MsSt yesterday you saw a creative, text book offense beat a far more physically superior DL. They didn’t try to run it down their throat. They gave them tons of different looks and moved them around with misdirection and motion. It was really beautiful to watch. If your an X/O nerd find it and fast forward through it. It was brilliant.

Again we can compete in the national stage but we won’t do it with this offensive system. It’s ceiling is always going to be 7. Brute strength just isn’t who we are

purplecircle

My point is that the BlueBloods are playing with another level of athlete in the trenches then we are getting. The good news is we are getting a few of them now but as I said in my post, if we continue down the track of run first, power football, we will have a fairly low ceiling. The two guys in the video represent about 10 players at every blueblood. We are lucky to get 1-2 of those kids in every cycle.

We can absolutely compete with the right scheme that takes advantage of our athleticism. We don’t have enough horses to smash around with people. You saw that this year with 4 seniors up front and 2 senior RBs. Two years straight of conservative run first game plans. We need to open up our offense and utilize our speed better.

If you watched Louisville/MsSt yesterday you saw a creative, text book offense beat a far more physically superior DL. They didn’t try to run it down their throat. They gave them tons of different looks and moved them around with misdirection and motion. It was really beautiful to watch. If your an X/O nerd find it and fast forward through it. It was brilliant.

Again we can compete in the national stage but we won’t do it with this offensive system. It’s ceiling is always going to be 7. Brute strength just isn’t who we are

Hang this post in the Louvre.

Wexahu

You don't need brute strength to have a strong running game, just watch a service academy play for evidence of that. You need a commitment to it and more importantly, a commitment to execute it properly. And also, insisting on going out of the shotgun on every play eliminates a great deal of what you can do in the running game.

On a related note, I think what you are seeing with all the 3-man fronts and 5-6 man in the box defensive alignments is defenses have figured out you don't need to go heavy up front to stop these lame running attacks. Just play off the ball, flood the intermediate zones with defenders, wait the slow-developing running plays out, and force big fat lineman to block in space, Taking snaps from under center would instantly force defenders into the box and open things up in the passing zones but I don't think QBs know what 3-5-7 step drops are anymore.

Froggish

You don't need brute strength to have a strong running game, just watch a service academy play for evidence of that. You need a commitment to it and more importantly, a commitment to execute it properly. And also, insisting on going out of the shotgun on every play eliminates a great deal of what you can do in the running game.

On a related note, I think what you are seeing with all the 3-man fronts and 5-6 man in the box defensive alignments is defenses have figured out you don't need to go heavy up front to stop these lame running attacks. Just play off the ball, flood the intermediate zones with defenders, wait the slow-developing running plays out, and force big fat lineman to block in space, Taking snaps from under center would instantly force defenders into the box and open things up in the passing zones but I don't think QBs know what 3-5-7 step drops are anymore.

I’m definitely agree you need a strong running game. The academy’s also use a ton of misdirection putting the defense on their heals having to read multiples. We lined all year in virtually one look and ran right to the same spot or pulled it. That was about it..Frustrating to watch.

Your dead on 3-5-7 drops. Hell most NFL QBs don’t know them anymore

helcap

Our WR's sure do.

Paint It Purple

That BlueBlood OL talent you speak....what I’ve noticed in them isn’t just talent, but a higher level of nastiness. Mean streak. Whatever you what to call it.

Wexahu

That is the #14 OT and #119 overall player that are guy is whipping. I was assured we don't get guys who can handle top 150 players like that...

They don't seem to be blocking with the highest level of intensity. Almost looks like they are going through motions in a drill. Especially the guy blocking from his right.

Eight

Hayes at C for TCU would interesting. I don’t think it will happen here but it’s been a while since we had a dominant C. He smart to

will be interesting to see what interior positions are manned by various players with the change in offensive line coaches (not commenting about anderson dog frog, merely an observation)

morris and schlottman flipped positions in 2017 when anderson moved back to coaching receivers and thomsen took over the offensive line

mcmillon showed some potential this year and reminded me a bit of joey hunt with his feet and body positioning. coy's biggest struggle was with bigger, stronger defensive linemen (I.e. roy of baylor, lima of isu) but that wasn't a shock for a young center who has had to gain some serious weight to win that starting position.

i am curious how this sorts out with the new offensive staff

Froggish

will be interesting to see what interior positions are manned by various players with the change in offensive line coaches (not commenting about anderson dog frog, merely an observation)

morris and schlottman flipped positions in 2017 when anderson moved back to coaching receivers and thomsen took over the offensive line

mcmillon showed some potential this year and reminded me a bit of joey hunt with his feet and body positioning. coy's biggest struggle was with bigger, stronger defensive linemen (I.e. roy of baylor, lima of isu) but that wasn't a shock for a young center who has had to gain some serious weight to win that starting position.

i am curious how this sorts out with the new offensive staff

Really hoping the JUCO kid Coleman is a player. He’s got 3 to play and if he can lock down a OT position with Coker then Hayes could move inside. I got to believe that makes us a ton better. Word on the street is that they brought Coleman here to start for the next 3 years. Of course they brought McKinney here for a 2 year run of absurdity

McMillen was better than Kelton in 18 and I think with a little more strength and polish he’ll be a good center

Eight

Really hoping the JUCO kid Coleman is a player. He’s got 3 to play and if he can lock down a OT position with Coker then Hayes could move inside. I got to believe that makes us a ton better. Word on the street is that they brought Coleman here to start for the next 3 years. Of course they brought McKinney here for a 2 year run of absurdity

i am less concerned about who starts at offensive tackle for the frogs as i am who starts in the interior line