• The KillerFrogs

CGP on the Hot Seat in 2020

Salfrog

Tier 1
I think the handcuffs went on Cumbie during year one of Kenny Hill and all those interceptions he was throwing then smiling on the way back to our sideline. The smiling may have been a nervous tick.

The only time Cumbie was good was when Dykes was here to help him. Otherwise, he has been bad. Dykes saw what KH was better at, and built the offense around that. Cumbie didn't do that. Cumbie doesn't seem to scheme his plays to what his QB's strengths are, or help them out.

Just look at Duggan this year, Cumbie didn't help him out in any way with game planning.

texas_sicilian

The only time Cumbie was good was when Dykes was here to help him. Otherwise, he has been bad. Dykes saw what KH was better at, and built the offense around that. Cumbie didn't do that. Cumbie doesn't seem to scheme his plays to what his QB's strengths are, or help them out.

Just look at Duggan this year, Cumbie didn't help him out in any way with game planning.
Dykes and Meachum, but either way, it has only been with a pair of training wheels underneath him that we had positive results.

And appears that is what we’re about to do again.

4th. down

"Cumbie doesn't seem to scheme his plays to what his QB's strengths are, or help them out."

^^^^^^ There you have it and go no further for factual verification than the Cheese Bowl. He knew Mule could not hit a moving target across the street but after 3 weeks of prep, here we go with a passing attack, and guess what, GP signed off on it. Think about that for a minute, then at halftime, hey, this ain't working, let's go to our run game but no, we come out passing again. Hard to get pumped again going forward and Kellen is not coming to TCU so forget that.

We are going to work real hard on growing these youngsters up and try and make a 6-6 Toilet Bowl, hopefully. GP is trying to move us into the mindset that hey, we just got us 6 wins. There are no more peeps about playing for a NC, in and along Stadium Drive.

flyfishingfrog

Does any one know for certain that GP puts the handcuffs on the offiense? If so, then what a mistake. If he doesn't like the Air Raid, then run another version of the spread that has more emphasis on run and play action - a la Clemson and others.

That is the part I don't get. If he wants more of a power run game, then use an offense designed for that -
No one knows - just speculation that has been repeated by enough people on here because it supports their POV - it is becoming Urban Legend for some

flyfishingfrog

3 of the last 4 year we have been 6-6 or worse. To me this is a trend and a very concerning trend considering the many questions regarding coaching staff, offense scheme and players going into next year
Just ignore that we had double digit wins and played for the CCG that year you left out...

TCURiggs

That’s actually my best friend in front, his wife (standing on something), my former roommate and wife’s cousin (black bandana), another high school friend (white hat), 4 girls I was pretty good friends with in college and one I have no idea who she is. Trust me when I say none of these are the “Baylor” type, except maybe that girl in the back middle who I don’t know. But if she was friends with this bunch of girls, then I doubt it. This was a college theatre class project that ended up getting a web redemption on Tosh. It was GLORIOUSLY awful.

Just clicked on this thread.

[ What the heck? ], man?

tetonfrog

The reason the Frogs went away from the spread is because our best players were at RB and we had two years in a row of young QBs. You can't run an Air Raid offense when your QBs struggle to read zone D, your WRs stink and your OL does the look-out-here-they-come pass blocking style 95% of the time.

I am not as SC fan and grimace at the thought of him running the offense again, but I did like how he tried to use to TE more this year. in fact,we make a bowl game and beat Baylor if our TE catches a wide open TD in the first quarter.

I do agree that GP soured on the fast-break offense during 2016. He watched Kenny turn it over way too much and opposing teams wore out our undersized D that year. OSU and KSU just pounded us that year at home to end the season as they totally shut down our offense and ground GP's D to dust to end the season.

purplecircle

Some people aren’t ready to hear this...but if the right changes are made on offense this program is absolutely playing in the next three conference championship games.

Salfrog

Tier 1
Some people aren’t ready to hear this...but if the right changes are made on offense this program is absolutely playing in the next three conference championship games.

I agree, but that is the issue. IF GP makes the right changes. His first move was an epic fail, so unless he brings in someone that has some experience with OL as co-OC to help out there, it doesn't look all that promising. I hope that I am completely wrong.

Tumbleweed

Who is more qualified than Anderson to help Patterson. Anderson can crawl inside Patterson's mind without trying to explain anything. That frees up Gary to run this program. Is Anderson a teacher or a cerebral mind for Gary's defense. I don't think it's both. It's one or the other if you examine Gary's record. (remember Bumpass?)

Gary is one heck of a defensive mind and most likely at this stage in his career, would love to direct only the defense. He loves to defense teams employing and solving offenses. I believe he'd give his left arm to get TCU to a winning record again however, I think he's letting Gary Patterson, HC get in his way. I think that as I reflect on decisions and directions of the last few years. I say that with respect. Retrospec is easy when your an seasoned citizen but I foresee an uneasy adventure in the coming months.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

"Cumbie doesn't seem to scheme his plays to what his QB's strengths are, or help them out."

^^^^^^ There you have it and go no further for factual verification than the Cheese Bowl. He knew Mule could not hit a moving target across the street but after 3 weeks of prep, here we go with a passing attack, and guess what, GP signed off on it. Think about that for a minute, then at halftime, hey, this ain't working, let's go to our run game but no, we come out passing again. Hard to get pumped again going forward and Kellen is not coming to TCU so forget that.

We are going to work real hard on growing these youngsters up and try and make a 6-6 Toilet Bowl, hopefully. GP is trying to move us into the mindset that hey, we just got us 6 wins. There are no more peeps about playing for a NC, in and along Stadium Drive.
Won't matter. I just don't see him getting rid of Cumbie. Heck, folks will continue to point to a Rose Bowl win that was 9 years ago or a Peach Bowl 5 years ago and heads will stay in the sand regarding what is being put on the field now.

Moose Stuff

I guess this thread is as good as any for this.... some interesting follower/following activity recently on Andrew Hayes Stoker’s twitter account for those into that sort of thing.

I guess this thread is as good as any for this.... some interesting follower/following activity recently on Andrew Hayes Stoker’s twitter account for those into that sort of thing.

Question is if he is a good coach? We know he was a Horned Frog which is nice, but what has Illinois done at wide receiver? I'm not saying he would be a horrible choice, I dont know much about him. Can he help game plan, can he recruit, has his talent gone to the NFL? Illinois was almost dead last in passing yards per game. Is TCU going to bail out a coach because he has TCU ties?

Eight

Question is if he is a good coach? We know he was a Horned Frog which is nice, but what has Illinois done at wide receiver? I'm not saying he would be a horrible choice, I dont know much about him. Can he help game plan, can he recruit, has his talent gone to the NFL? Illinois was almost dead last in passing yards per game. Is TCU going to bail out a coach because he has TCU ties?

no sure things in hiring assistants or other parts of life

he is a highly regarded recruiter, has spent time in the nfl, and have no clue on his ability to draw up a passing game.

freaking illinois made a bowl game this year which is damn near a miracle and he has been an integral part of bringing the talent to the illini to make it happen.

he would not only be a quality mentor to the frogs receivers, but the young receiver coach