• The KillerFrogs

Official J. Garrett is Fired/ New Hire Poll

Who do you want as the new Dallas Cowboys coach?

• Matt Rhule

• Lincoln Riley

• Urban Meyer

• Josh McDaniels

• Joe Brady

• Mike McCarthy

Results are only viewable after voting.
And the more football I watch, I think it is a MUCH better coaching structure when you have a head coach who hires coordinators and let’s them do their jobs instead of a head coach who tries to run the offense or defense by themselves.
Of the three, I would assume Meyer and Rhule would do that; Riley I don't know but the reason he would be hired would be for his offensive concepts and play-calling so that would most likely be what you would get. I guess it works sometimes (Andy Reid, Sean McVay have had success with it) and other times doesn't (see Jason Garrett).

Wexahu

Of the three, I would assume Meyer and Rhule would do that; Riley I don't know but the reason he would be hired would be for his offensive concepts and play-calling so that would most likely be what you would get. I guess it works sometimes (Andy Reid, Sean McVay have had success with it) and other times doesn't (see Jason Garrett).

I think if you look at the list of most successful head coaches out there, very few serve as coordinators calling plays, whether they be on offense or defense. There are some exceptions but not many.

Froglaw

I’ve had it. What a waste of talent. How the hell does he still have a job. Jerry needs to do us a favor , and hire Riley out of Okie for us. Midseason firing ?

I'm at the "I don't give a rats rear end" phase of my Cowboy fan career.

I used to live, eat, and breath Cowboy Football.

Then Greedy Jerry killed all things Dallas Cowboys for me.

Until a TCU QB is running the Cowboy offense or Jerry sells the team to someone who understands that owners don't get to coach and own at the same time, I'll go deer hunting, watch a movie, or play golf.

My life has enough frustration in it without the Worlds largest dumpster fire burning through the roof of AT&T Stadium being a part of it.

Last edited:

Double V

Maybe because he took two very down programs, first Temple from 2-10 in two years to 10-3 and then Baylor in two years from 1-11 to 11-2.
But wasn't he the coach of those 2-10 and 1-11 teams as well? Couldn't you also say he "took" Baylor from 7-6 to 1-11? And he "took" Temple from 4-7 to 2-10?

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, I just think it's a bit premature. He may be great, who knows? I would certainly take him over the last "next big thing", Tom Herman. Rhule at least doesn't SEEM to be too gimmicky. I think Urban Meyer would be a great fit for the Cowboys, but don't think Jerruh will pull the trigger there.

Wexahu

But wasn't he the coach of those 2-10 and 1-11 teams as well? Couldn't you also say he "took" Baylor from 7-6 to 1-11? And he "took" Temple from 4-7 to 2-10?

I'm not saying he's a bad coach, I just think it's a bit premature. He may be great, who knows? I would certainly take him over the last "next big thing", Tom Herman. Rhule at least doesn't SEEM to be too gimmicky. I think Urban Meyer would be a great fit for the Cowboys, but don't think Jerruh will pull the trigger there.

I think a more plausible explanation is he comes in and establishes standards and a culture and sacrifices some wins in the process, and then builds from there. There are no guarantees with anyone but it's hard to argue with the success. I would guess what he's done rivals what most any young coach has done out there, with Meyer you'd be looking at a different deal, I doubt he would stay more than 4-5 years best case wherever he ends up.

Hemingway

I respectfully disagree, especially when compared to Riley. He’s an OC playing head coach. I think Rhule would be a much better choice, he seems better equipped to run a team and deal with the ups and downs of an NFL season to me. With Riley it will all be about his offense.

I dont know if Riley would be the same but he does seem to follow the McVay hiring model of going for the offensive guru model. I still don't know if that works.

Froggish

I dont know if Riley would be the same but he does seem to follow the McVay hiring model of going for the offensive guru model. I still don't know if that works.

I think that model is a trend but we’ll see. CEO types have lost there luster but the right guys tend to do well

Realtorfrog

I think if the cowboys had won the East and made the playoffs Garrett would have returned! I also think the way they played in two of the last three weeks has to be a plus for Garrett! If Jerry can’t find another yes man chances are Garrett returns. I just don’t see Jerry not being a part time head coach. I would guess out of the list you presented that I can see Meyer being a yes man if the dollars were right.

I bet ou fans are pushing hard for Lincoln to move up after their showing in the playoffs especially this year.

Palliative Care

I am in total agreement with Frog law. Terrell Owens did it for me. However, I do not ever see a chance that I will ever follow the Cowboys again even if Jerry is six feet under and former TCU folks own them or run them.

DelFrog

I'd take Rule over Riley, as it's a hell of a lot easier to win big at OU, where Riley has a significant talent advantage in probably 10 out of 12 games each season, than it is at Baylor or Temple where you're at a talent disadvantage in many games. Look what happened to OU in the CFPs when they ran into equal or better talent... '17 lost to UGA, '18 lost to Alabama, '19 blown out by LSU. In the NFL you don't significantly out talent opponents.