• The KillerFrogs

What’s our football identity these days?

DeuceBoogieNights

Amidst all the sarcastic responses, I think this is about right. We used to be highly disciplined and play with a nasty edge, now we get that at times but not near often enough to call it an identity anymore. To mirror what GP has said in recent years, I’m not sure losing bothers the team enough, and I’d probably include the coaches in that statement. Maybe it isn’t complacency but attitude that we’re gonna scratch and claw with everything we’ve got in every area of the program doesn’t seem to be there anymore.

We used to be one of the best tackling teams in the sport. No purple glasses either. We used to wrap up and gang tackle.

Did we used to coach up recruits better? Do our new recruits not buy into the coaching and system as much? Is it because of the better teams we now face or was gp overrated?

I agree that we lack an identity, especially offensively.

HG73

Guys, we had a freshman QB. Against a freshman QB, they stack the box and run-blitz every down. We didn't have an answer, no screens etc. The game will slow down for Max next year, hopefully.

Mean Purple

We used to be one of the best tackling teams in the sport. No purple glasses either. We used to wrap up and gang tackle.

Did we used to coach up recruits better? Do our new recruits not buy into the coaching and system as much? Is it because of the better teams we now face or was gp overrated?

I agree that we lack an identity, especially offensively.
agreed on the tackling. we used to swarm to the ball way better.

HToady

Were the team that would like to schedule perennial powerhouse teams in a home and home but have to play our home games at Jerry World. That should tell you exactly who we are.

smufrogger

I’m struggling to figure out what our identity is as a program since joining the B12. Before getting into the B12 it was easy as we were almost always more talented than our conference mates, every bit as tough, and we had a fair degree of inventiveness on sidelines with GPs scheme.

These days I’m not sure we have any of those advantages other than GPs scheme is still holding up. So who are we now? We are sure to be on our 4th play caller soon and it feel like we are grasping at straws.

What’s our identity and how to get back to some of the advantages we used to have?

Identity-
Gary’s D, and the hot mess of the other aspects of football.

frog-hat

we're the northwestern of the big xii. that's not necessarily a criticism, it's just the program that I think we resemble the most in a lot of ways over the last 8 years.

4th. down

Guys, we had a freshman QB. Against a freshman QB, they stack the box and run-blitz every down. We didn't have an answer, no screens etc. The game will slow down for Max next year, hopefully.

Yes and Sonny and GP knew we had a suspect offensive line and a true freshman QB, so what did they do? NOTHING.

How many middle screens did we use to compensate dealing with the various blitzes they were coming with against Max, a hot route to a TE, draw play RB, draw play QB, RB in flat BEYOND LINE OF SCRIMMAGE, tunnel screens, etc?

Bottom line - not much help for Max scheme wise and why is that?

Raw Frog

We are in year 3, at least, of a downward spiral for this program. I am holding off on my assessments of the current state of affairs until after Gary has made his moves, or NSD, whichever way comes first.

Last edited:

HG73

Yes and Sonny and GP knew we had a suspect offensive line and a true freshman QB, so what did they do? NOTHING.

How many middle screens did we use to compensate dealing with the various blitzes they were coming with against Max, a hot route to a TE, draw play RB, draw play QB, RB in flat BEYOND LINE OF SCRIMMAGE, tunnel screens, etc?

Bottom line - not much help for Max scheme wise and why is that?
Did I mention that we didn't have an answer? And it doesn't really matter what plays were called if the receivers dropped the ball. We couldn't even complete a bubble screen to the preseason offensive player of the year. A bubble screen.

4th. down

Did I mention that we didn't have an answer? And it doesn't really matter what plays were called if the receivers dropped the ball. We couldn't even complete a bubble screen to the preseason offensive player of the year. A bubble screen.

OK, I don't disagree but HOW are we going to move forward to a NY6 game from where we are now. Most CEO Head Coaches would think we needed to do a national title search for the new position coaches and offensive analyst but to what's been published, that has not been the case.

After these past 2 seasons, I'm exasperated and especially after watching the playoff games - we are light years from that level - talent and coaching. Now I see why Clemson pays Venables $2.4mil as Defensive CO next year and holding OSU to 7 pts. in the 2nd. half after adjustments, and that's doing something. All that propaganda coming out of the football program a couple of years ago about playing for a NC just really gets me.

Over the past couple of years TCU’s player identity is being mentally/physically soft and undisciplined. TCU’s Coaching identity is stubborn to the point of stupid as madness is doing same failed thing over and over expecting a different result.

Eight

OK, I don't disagree but HOW are we going to move forward to a NY6 game from where we are now. Most CEO Head Coaches would think we needed to do a national title search for the new position coaches and offensive analyst but to what's been published, that has not been the case.

After these past 2 seasons, I'm exasperated and especially after watching the playoff games - we are light years from that level - talent and coaching. Now I see why Clemson pays Venables $2.4mil as Defensive CO next year and holding OSU to 7 pts. in the 2nd. half after adjustments, and that's doing something. All that propaganda coming out of the football program a couple of years ago about playing for a NC just really gets me.

what is interesting is that if you look at the numbers for the frogs offense since they have joined the big 12 the group has been below average or near the bottom of the big 12 5 of the 8 years, average once, and above average twice.

in short, the offensive problems are nothing new, but the pathway to address them seems to have a common tact