• The KillerFrogs

CGP on the Hot Seat in 2020

bp4tcu

With you OP. Patterson has gotten stale and the game is on the verge of passing him by. Absolutely no innovation or creativity from him anymore and it’s been like that for a few years now.

He complacent collecting his millions.

texas_sicilian

With you OP. Patterson has gotten stale and the game is on the verge of passing him by. Absolutely no innovation or creativity from him anymore and it’s been like that for a few years now.

He complacent collecting his millions.
So much wrong in this post. He has done more for this program than any coach in our history. Our D is still to be admired, and top of the conference year in, year out.

We need to revamp the offense, and while I’m as impatient as the next person, I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he’s doing.

Why? Because he’s one of the top 10 NCAA head coaches and I’m not.

Pharm Frog

Duggin should have been our feature running back that game. If he runs instead of passing we win.

This is 100% true. The running lanes were there all day long. Just have to believe he was told to limit his running other than the couple of designed runs. Even their spy was getting involved at the LOS more often than not

bp4tcu

So much wrong in this post. He has done more for this program than any coach in our history. Our D is still to be admired, and top of the conference year in, year out.

We need to revamp the offense, and while I’m as impatient as the next person, I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he’s doing.

I never commented on or denied what he’s done here. I said he’s grown stale and doesn’t seem interested in evolving to get better. College football is extremely “what have you done for me lately”, and he’s not done much the past few years.

His D wasn’t even the top of the conference this year. It’s fine, but it hasn’t been what he once brought it to in quite some time.

froginmn

I never commented on or denied what he’s done here. I said he’s grown stale and doesn’t seem interested in evolving to get better. College football is extremely “what have you done for me lately”, and he’s not done much the past few years.

His D wasn’t even the top of the conference this year. It’s fine, but it hasn’t been what he once brought it to in quite some time.
How do you define "past few years"? We were in the CCG two years ago. We were in a NY6 bowl five years ago.

Boomhauer

I think CGP used to be a top 10 coach, but I don’t think he’s in the top 10 anymore. Doesn’t mean he isn’t a good coach, just not top 10 (which is a really high bar). I think a top 10 coach wouldn’t go 5-7 and miss a bowl with this team. Especially in a down Big 12. He still may be a top 10 defensive coach though.

Eight

I think CGP used to be a top 10 coach, but I don’t think he’s in the top 10 anymore. Doesn’t mean he isn’t a good coach, just not top 10 (which is a really high bar). I think a top 10 coach wouldn’t go 5-7 and miss a bowl with this team. Especially in a down Big 12. He still may be a top 10 defensive coach though.

believe gary would still be on that list for top 10 active winning percentage with at least 10 seasons when you consider petersen would no longer be on that list.

Big Frog II

“His D wasn’t even top of the conference this year.”

sigh.
Probably because the offense was so anemic. Defense was on the field too long.

By the way, Gary is not beyond criticism. No one is. Why he doesn't hire a whiz bang special team's coach is beyond me. It has cost him a number of games in his career. He also is too loyal to his own coaches. That can be a good thing or a bad thing. Right now it is not a good thing. Hopefully he will address these problems in the off season. Hiring a terrific OC would go a long way in correcting our problems. The bottom line is Gary is still a great coach and still wants to win, but surely he even sees that we have struggled the last few years.

flyfishingfrog

I really hope anyone who thinks GMFP is on the hot seat doesn’t actually think they are connected or knowledgeable in what is going on within our Athletic department

a few real facts for you:

There are things going on all the time that fans don’t know about - because it’s none of your business

outside of about 4 programs - we have been as competitive, if not considerably more so than almost every program in college football during our time in the B12 - programs like Tech and Aggy and Texas that have 1 or 2 more regular season wins than us during that time would trade them in a second for our conference championship and even our appearance in the CCG

if Gary’s seat is hot, it’s only because he is sitting in it 16 hours a day working to get us back to where he wants to be

and if you are calling for somebody who had 1 good year coaching a G5 program or has never been a head coach to replace him you are total dumb ass or a troll

Last edited:
Meacham was better than Cumbie, but I don't believe Gary would bring him back as long as Cumbie is still around as QB coach.

Didn't GP want to bring back Meacham back early in the season but the offense coaches said no when polled? I seem to remember reading this som1ewhere...