• The KillerFrogs

CGP on the Hot Seat in 2020

westoverhillbilly

I really believe that we're going to get out of our quarterback funk in 2020 and right the ship and all will be well, at least for awhile until our next quarterback funk or a depletion of talent somewhere else on the field.. I just have a feeling that Baldwin may be a budding stud, or that Duggan may see the field better next year and find receivers- and if he does he could be a heisman candidate..

njustus7

I really believe that we're going to get out of our quarterback funk in 2020 and right the ship and all will be well, at least for awhile until our next quarterback funk or a depletion of talent somewhere else on the field.. I just have a feeling that Baldwin may be a budding stud, or that Duggan may see the field better next year and find receivers- and if he does he could be a heisman candidate..
The talent is there, I just don't think the coaching is. Too many receivers off their routes, bad line play, poor and predictable play calling. He can have the talent but he needs more help from those around him.

njustus7

yes, his stepping down at udub and then coming to tcu was so far fetched I stopped reading anything you wrote beyond that point in your original post.

you actually thought it was conceivable petersen, who is still a member of the athletic department at washington, would come to tcu?
I was using it more as an illustration that I was hoping he had some *big* ace-in-the-hole surprise up his sleeve that we all don't know about b/c otherwise I'm not seeing what the strategy is here.

I don't think any of us ever thought CGP would put on an off season defensive clinic for Petersen when we were competing with Boise St every year to get into the BCS - but he did. And now would be a great time to pay back that favor. It's far fetched, but that's actually my point as I don't see a reason to delay the OC decision unless he has something equally far fetched and big up his sleeve.

jake102

Until we field an OL in the top half of P5, we will continue to suck on offense. Only time it’s happened since 2015 is potentially 2017.

LeagueCityFrog

So you believe he is going in the right direction ... the Anderson decision. ?.

I'll hold final judgment until I see what the final 2020 staff makeup and roles are post Feburary. Our defense should be excellent again next year. We swap an away game to Purdue for an away game to Cal Berkeley. SMU will get what's coming to them. Hang 82 points on them perhaps? Maybe. Then our schedule is easier with the hard teams coming to Fort Worth. I have hope. I think Max and those two freshman running backs are legit.

VA Froggie

I was hoping that CGP had some brilliant move up his sleeve: maybe Chris Petersen was going to come be a special offensive consultant for 2020 or something.

But after watching our best receiver declare early, our only good co-offensive coordinator leave, and seeing all these mediocre teams in bowls - I don't think Patterson has anything lined up or knows how to fix this.

Part of me want to be loyal to this guy, he did get us into the Big XII (for which I'll always be grateful), but he doesn't seem able to make the tough calls that need to be made to right this ship. Hopefully he'll make me look stupid in a couple of months time, but I believe it's more likely that he's lost the confidence of his staff and players, and doesn't have the ability/respect to entice a big name OC to join the staff.

With the amount of money Gary's being paid, we can't accept someone who's ok with mediocrity. It's obvious Cumbie is dejected and disgruntle, and loyalty is not going to change that, he's not going to magically become competent either - he's a lost cause, it's obvious from looking at him. If he's going to right his own ship, it won't be at TCU.

After seeing Baylor compete in the championship game, Michigan St with their legendary coach on the hot seat after making a bowl game and winning it, OSU getting to 13 straight bowl game (and their coach being under scrutiny), WVU edge us at the end of the game, KSU beating OU with a first year coach - the list goes on and on - it's starts to become apparent that we should have higher expectations.

I'm all for being loyal to a coach who was loyal to us when he could have easily jumped ship, but he has to be attempting to fix things and not just hoping that a few internal tweak will work for something so obviously broken.

If Patterson is not willing to do what it takes to win, to make bold moves, or a least ones which have a chance to trend us in the right directions offensively, the next year should be his last, and he should retire (forcefully if necessary) a TCU legend...
BS. Let’s see, fire everyone, fire every HC in the country...... fire ‘em all....... now, feel any better.....

denverfrog

I was hoping that CGP had some brilliant move up his sleeve: maybe Chris Petersen was going to come be a special offensive consultant for 2020 or something.

But after watching our best receiver declare early, our only good co-offensive coordinator leave, and seeing all these mediocre teams in bowls - I don't think Patterson has anything lined up or knows how to fix this.

Part of me want to be loyal to this guy, he did get us into the Big XII (for which I'll always be grateful), but he doesn't seem able to make the tough calls that need to be made to right this ship. Hopefully he'll make me look stupid in a couple of months time, but I believe it's more likely that he's lost the confidence of his staff and players, and doesn't have the ability/respect to entice a big name OC to join the staff.

With the amount of money Gary's being paid, we can't accept someone who's ok with mediocrity. It's obvious Cumbie is dejected and disgruntle, and loyalty is not going to change that, he's not going to magically become competent either - he's a lost cause, it's obvious from looking at him. If he's going to right his own ship, it won't be at TCU.

After seeing Baylor compete in the championship game, Michigan St with their legendary coach on the hot seat after making a bowl game and winning it, OSU getting to 13 straight bowl game (and their coach being under scrutiny), WVU edge us at the end of the game, KSU beating OU with a first year coach - the list goes on and on - it's starts to become apparent that we should have higher expectations.

I'm all for being loyal to a coach who was loyal to us when he could have easily jumped ship, but he has to be attempting to fix things and not just hoping that a few internal tweak will work for something so obviously broken.

If Patterson is not willing to do what it takes to win, to make bold moves, or a least ones which have a chance to trend us in the right directions offensively, the next year should be his last, and he should retire (forcefully if necessary) a TCU legend...
Let me guess.....millennial ?

YA

You mean to tell me Doug Meacham couldn’t help this team? Gimme a break. He was a Broyles finalist not too long ago. What’d he do to be ostracized from the college coaching world? Ridiculous.
Well for starters Don’t give every team in the conference the TCU playbook and signals. Doing so shows everyone in the profession the type of person you are when the chips are down.

He basically blacklisted himself

wilson912

Well for starters Don’t give every team in the conference the TCU playbook and signals. Doing so shows everyone in the profession the type of person you are when the chips are down.

He basically blacklisted himself

If he did that, shame on him. That’s a strong accusation, tell us more and how do you know this?

frog-hat

GP on the hot seat?
He should be with losing conference record in 3 of the last 4 years. Top of the conference recruiting with bottom of the conference results. That gets coaches fired...at least it should

wilson912

GP on the hot seat?
He should be with losing conference record in 3 of the last 4 years. Top of the conference recruiting with bottom of the conference results. That gets coaches fired...at least it should

he gets benefit of the doubt as he should but another 5-7 year will cause much angst. OC coaching hire is key. Will Hall is impressive!