• The KillerFrogs

CGP on the Hot Seat in 2020

njustus7

I was hoping that CGP had some brilliant move up his sleeve: maybe Chris Petersen was going to come be a special offensive consultant for 2020 or something.

But after watching our best receiver declare early, our only good co-offensive coordinator leave, and seeing all these mediocre teams in bowls - I don't think Patterson has anything lined up or knows how to fix this.

Part of me want to be loyal to this guy, he did get us into the Big XII (for which I'll always be grateful), but he doesn't seem able to make the tough calls that need to be made to right this ship. Hopefully he'll make me look stupid in a couple of months time, but I believe it's more likely that he's lost the confidence of his staff and players, and doesn't have the ability/respect to entice a big name OC to join the staff.

With the amount of money Gary's being paid, we can't accept someone who's ok with mediocrity. It's obvious Cumbie is dejected and disgruntle, and loyalty is not going to change that, he's not going to magically become competent either - he's a lost cause, it's obvious from looking at him. If he's going to right his own ship, it won't be at TCU.

After seeing Baylor compete in the championship game, Michigan St with their legendary coach on the hot seat after making a bowl game and winning it, OSU getting to 13 straight bowl game (and their coach being under scrutiny), WVU edge us at the end of the game, KSU beating OU with a first year coach - the list goes on and on - it's starts to become apparent that we should have higher expectations.

I'm all for being loyal to a coach who was loyal to us when he could have easily jumped ship, but he has to be attempting to fix things and not just hoping that a few internal tweak will work for something so obviously broken.

If Patterson is not willing to do what it takes to win, to make bold moves, or a least ones which have a chance to trend us in the right directions offensively, the next year should be his last, and he should retire (forcefully if necessary) a TCU legend...

LeagueCityFrog

From what I heard this week, supposedly there are changes coming right after the February signing period. Coaches on staff know it's coming, but it is unknown what those changes are. Coach P is a fiercely competitive guy and ain't going to go out this way. He'll fix it. Too much money has been invested into TCU football to have 3 bad football seasons the last 4 years. I'm still trying to figure out which game made the the most mad, the overtime loss to Arkansas at home or SMU shooting glitter guns in our face at the Carter. My gut says the glitter guns.

njustus7

Why would Chris Petersen step down from a head coaching position at a prestigious program, tell everyone he was tired of football and then move thousands of miles away from his family to be a consultant at TCU?

Wishful thinking perhaps, but his comments seemed more about not wanting to be the head coach, and there is some history between these two where Gary helped Chris out with his defense - so being an offseason consultant who helps Gary out didn't seem too far fetched.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I was hoping that CGP had some brilliant move up his sleeve: maybe Chris Petersen was going to come be a special offensive consultant for 2020 or something.

But after watching our best receiver declare early, our only good co-offensive coordinator leave, and seeing all these mediocre teams in bowls - I don't think Patterson has anything lined up or knows how to fix this.

Part of me want to be loyal to this guy, he did get us into the Big XII (for which I'll always be grateful), but he doesn't seem able to make the tough calls that need to be made to right this ship. Hopefully he'll make me look stupid in a couple of months time, but I believe it's more likely that he's lost the confidence of his staff and players, and doesn't have the ability/respect to entice a big name OC to join the staff.

With the amount of money Gary's being paid, we can't accept someone who's ok with mediocrity. It's obvious Cumbie is dejected and disgruntle, and loyalty is not going to change that, he's not going to magically become competent either - he's a lost cause, it's obvious from looking at him. If he's going to right his own ship, it won't be at TCU.

After seeing Baylor compete in the championship game, Michigan St with their legendary coach on the hot seat after making a bowl game and winning it, OSU getting to 13 straight bowl game (and their coach being under scrutiny), WVU edge us at the end of the game, KSU beating OU with a first year coach - the list goes on and on - it's starts to become apparent that we should have higher expectations.

I'm all for being loyal to a coach who was loyal to us when he could have easily jumped ship, but he has to be attempting to fix things and not just hoping that a few internal tweak will work for something so obviously broken.

If Patterson is not willing to do what it takes to win, to make bold moves, or a least ones which have a chance to trend us in the right directions offensively, the next year should be his last, and he should retire (forcefully if necessary) a TCU legend...
Clown

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon

W7pxJQ.gif

c/c @Frog-in-law1995

Last edited:

njustus7

From what I heard this week, supposedly there are changes coming right after the February signing period. Coaches on staff know it's coming, but it is unknown what those changes are. Coach P is a fiercely competitive guy and ain't going to go out this way. He'll fix it. Too much money has been invested into TCU football to have 3 bad football seasons the last 4 years. I'm still trying to figure out which game made the the most mad, the overtime loss to Arkansas at home or SMU shooting glitter guns in our face at the Carter. My gut says the glitter guns.
That's good to hear. It does seems all the other teams in this situation hire someone prior to that period to give recruits confidence of stability though. It's a gamble to wait.

ROFL on the glitter guns! That was painful to watch, especially since we probably should have had that QB playing for us and had Sonny Dykes calling our plays.

asleep003

Unfortunately, I have to agree with much of njustus7's original post, except for the Chris Peterson thingy, which would be a very nice jester on his part, but very unrealistic.

Waiting until February is a respectful notion, but positions are normally settled by that time for major coaching spots... unless already tight lipped verbal agreements.

However, if Anderson's appointment as OL coach is a sign of whats to come, I'm sorry to say another season like the past 2 may bury my overall fondness of this great DC.

Hope this lousy Anderson decision proves me wrong, but just don't see it with out a real caliber Oliver type GA to develop our younger OL roster...

Big Frog II

Who are you, Big Steaming Pile? Sounds like someone looking for a passive aggressive story to write.

Eight

Wishful thinking perhaps, but his comments seemed more about not wanting to be the head coach, and there is some history between these two where Gary helped Chris out with his defense - so being an offseason consultant who helps Gary out didn't seem too far fetched.

yes, his stepping down at udub and then coming to tcu was so far fetched I stopped reading anything you wrote beyond that point in your original post.

you actually thought it was conceivable petersen, who is still a member of the athletic department at washington, would come to tcu?

LeagueCityFrog

I hadn't looked at ranking in about a month, but Coach P is all the way up to #25 now. He's usually in the 120s.

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm

Recruiting class was solid again this year, like his defense, his offense and special teams minus Song were and are pulling him into the gutter here. Bold moves needed. 2020 is his 20th year as the head ball coach at TCU. We should not be losing to SMU, Kansas, and Baylor....ever. That would be like Saban losing to UAB, Arkansas, and Vanderbilt.

Coach P will get us over the OU hump and to the CFP. You watch. I was at our Peach Bowl game vs Ole Miss. I've never seen a more dominate performance than that game. That Ole Miss team beat Bama twice.

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

Baylor "cool kids"?

That’s actually my best friend in front, his wife (standing on something), my former roommate and wife’s cousin (black bandana), another high school friend (white hat), 4 girls I was pretty good friends with in college and one I have no idea who she is. Trust me when I say none of these are the “Baylor” type, except maybe that girl in the back middle who I don’t know. But if she was friends with this bunch of girls, then I doubt it. This was a college theatre class project that ended up getting a web redemption on Tosh. It was GLORIOUSLY awful.

Last edited:

Chongo94

That’s actually my best friend in front, his wife (standing on something), my former roommate and wife’s cousin (black bandana), another high school friend (white hat), 4 girls I was pretty good friends with in college and one I have no idea who she is. Trust me when I say none of these are the “Baylor” type, except maybe that girl in the back middle who I don’t know. But if she was friends with this bunch of girls, then I doubt it. This was a college theatre class project that ended up getting a web redemption on Tosh. It was GLORIOUSLY awful.

Soooo is the Kelly 90210 look alike still around?....asking for a friend...

dawg

Why would Chris Petersen step down from a head coaching position at a prestigious program, tell everyone he was tired of football and then move thousands of miles away from his family to be a consultant at TCU?

Not only that, Washington gave him an administrative advisory position.