• The KillerFrogs

2020 Special Teams

LeagueCityFrog

That 26 year old Aussie didn't really do us many favors in 2019. He had some nice short punts early in the season that we caught inside the 10, but he stunk at field flipping Anson Kelton style booming punts. This important position should be opened back up for more competition in 2020 if we want a chance to win the Big XII title.

TCU was 120th in punting out of 130 D1 teams.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/98/p3

westoverhillbilly

I had high hopes for this young man and was expecting to see some running sideways to deliver end over end punts and instead saw too many shanks and too few big leg punts.. Let's hope he uses the learning experience and the offseason to become a hoss, or I hope we find someone who is the real deal..

4th. down

Maybe Coach P gets on the Aussie like he did last off season on Jonathan Song and we have much improved net punting in 2020.

Seems like I remember GP mentioning that they didn't want him doing any rugby style. GP was really high on him in Spring ball - he thought we had a field flipper. Maybe we over coached him.

If we can improve in the Spring and carry it forward into Fall:

No run backs on kick offs.
Sandy returns to his original form (remember the videos of him in Australia?)
GP gets better at clock mgt.
Run less on 1st. down (too many times, run on 1st. down, gain 3 yds., pass on 2nd. down (incomplete), pass on 3rd. down complete and gain 6 yds., Punt.

Limp Lizard

It was my understanding that the coaches made him change his rugby style kicking to a traditional American football style. It may have backfired.
I have wondered about that. The videos of him were very impressive. They they try to totally change the way he kicks?

If you don't want a rugby-style kicker don't sign one. Is that too hard to understand?