• The KillerFrogs

Kudo’s GP Northshore For Doing This!

Froglaw

Back in the Brick Phone Era the Dallas Federal Courts Marshalls would take your phone at the final security check point.

No big deal.

Now every Court allows them for calendering, online research, filing, and other purposes. It better be set on silent and not go off.

Times change.

This may seem archaic thinking ten years from now.

Still stupid of the kid to press the edge of the envelope.

Because all the other playoff games were day trips. This was an overnight stay. Maybe they wanted the players sleeping and instead of talking on their phones or on social media

Did they also confiscate their books, tablets, laptops, and Nintendo Switches...and have maintenance disable their TVs and clock?

Again, someone please explain to me how taking their cell phones wasn't 100% arbitrary and capricious. You can't. And for that, you lose both the logical and the ethical arguments.

Teaching young people to comply with absolute-power is conditioning them to accept fascism as being ubiquitous and normal.

Brog

Did they also confiscate their books, tablets, laptops, and Nintendo Switches...and have maintenance disable their TVs and clock?

Again, someone please explain to me how taking their cell phones wasn't 100% arbitrary and capricious. You can't. And for that, you lose both the logical and the ethical arguments.

Teaching young people to comply with absolute-power is conditioning them to accept fascism as being ubiquitous and normal.

Boom! Most ridiculous post of 2019, with only five days to go. May have won the big prize.

froginmn

It wasn't arbitrary because they asked every player to do it. It wasn't capricious because the district has a policy saying kids can't have phones during school days or school sponsored events. A trip and hotel stay, probably paid for by the district or the booster club, is a school sponsored event.

They want the kids to be focused on the upcoming game for one night. Why do you see that as some attack on the independence of students, and as a fascist act? Again, they asked them to give up their phones for one night.

It wasn't arbitrary because they asked every player to do it. It wasn't capricious because the district has a policy saying kids can't have phones during school days or school sponsored events. A trip and hotel stay, probably paid for by the district or the booster club, is a school sponsored event.

They want the kids to be focused on the upcoming game for one night. Why do you see that as some attack on the independence of students, and as a fascist act? Again, they asked them to give up their phones for one night.
Why their phones but not all their other sources of information, entertainment, education, etc? That's why it was arbitrary.

Why this game and not every other game during the season? That's why it was capricious.

What about an 18-year old, adult player? Demanding his phone randomly be turned over, and then excoriating him for not complying is an attack on his independence. I don't care who is paying for the hotel or trip.

What if a university demanded a recruit turn over his cell phone while on an official visit? They want the kid to focus on the experience, and not be distracted. Would that be okay? It's absurd.

I mean I understand the intent, but the implementation was 100% wrong in this case. The right thing to do is tell the players not to post on social media, and if they do, then they risk being suspended for the game. I have no problems with that restriction, especially if the rule is disclosed in advance. But to get through the entire season never taking their phones the night before a football game, and then to do it before the last one, is mind-blowing to me.

Brog

Why their phones but not all their other sources of information, entertainment, education, etc? That's why it was arbitrary.

Why this game and not every other game during the season? That's why it was capricious.

What about an 18-year old, adult player? Demanding his phone randomly be turned over, and then excoriating him for not complying is an attack on his independence. I don't care who is paying for the hotel or trip.

What if a university demanded a recruit turn over his cell phone while on an official visit? They want the kid to focus on the experience, and not be distracted. Would that be okay? It's absurd.

I mean I understand the intent, but the implementation was 100% wrong in this case. The right thing to do is tell the players not to post on social media, and if they do, then they risk being suspended for the game. I have no problems with that restriction, especially if the rule is disclosed in advance. But to get through the entire season never taking their phones the night before a football game, and then to do it before the last one, is mind-blowing to me.

Mind easily blown.

froginmn

Why their phones but not all their other sources of information, entertainment, education, etc? That's why it was arbitrary. Because the policy calls out phones. That makes it not arbitrary.

Why this game and not every other game during the season? That's why it was capricious. They may very well have done something similar in the hours prior to other games; don't know. But this was the only overnight stay. The policy has been in place all year, so also not capricious.

If he's a student, it doesn't matter if he is 16, 17, or 18. The policy would still apply.

What if a university demanded a recruit turn over his cell phone while on an official visit? They want the kid to focus on the experience, and not be distracted. Would that be okay? It's absurd. Completely irrelevant, as this would not be a HS activity.

I mean I understand the intent, but the implementation was 100% wrong in this case. The right thing to do is tell the players not to post on social media, and if they do, then they risk being suspended for the game. I have no problems with that restriction, especially if the rule is disclosed in advance. But to get through the entire season never taking their phones the night before a football game, and then to do it before the last one, is mind-blowing to me. This was the first overnight trip by the team. And you almost made the school's point with one of your comments. If they told the student they are to give up the phone and they didn't, they risk being suspended.

Last edited:

Horny4TCU

Entitled premadonna. He hasn't done crap with his life, but play football, and only at the high school level. Showing respect is fundamental for life, all he will get is a good scholarship to a school he might not make it through. Especially if he keeps this attitude. So much of his attitude points to prison if he keeps it up. You're not higher or better than the rules just because you're good at a sport.

Horny4TCU

Bunch of fascists in here!

Perhaps a better word would be one of the following:
Respectful
Honorable
Orderly
Disciplined
Governed
Conscientious

Or if you're looking for an ist word... maybe conformist.

Last I checked, obeying rules doesn't make someone a Nazi or member of an authoritative group.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Entitled premadonna. He hasn't done crap with his life, but play football, and only at the high school level. Showing respect is fundamental for life, all he will get is a good scholarship to a school he might not make it through. Especially if he keeps this attitude. So much of his attitude points to prison if he keeps it up. You're not higher or better than the rules just because you're good at a sport.
I like premadonna way better than post-Madonna. Her later work was crap.

Moose Stuff

Wow. I thought I’d read some insane [ Finebaum ] on here.

Moose Stuff

I pretty much agree with your first 2 paragraphs. However, even as an 18 year old, I would have chosen not to participate for this coach, who seems obviously an ass. UNLESS, I had a lot to lose, like my reputation or my last chance to impress college recruiters. Then, I most likely would have done as asked and blasted the coach on my way out the door...

I see no problem with collecting phones a couple of hours before the game, but there are many reasons I might need my phone the night before.

One of the most respected coaches in the state, has won multiple state championships, and every other kid on the team followed the rule. It’s pretty simple..... you want to be on the team you follow the rules. Don’t wanna follow the rules? Fine, you don’t have to but you aren’t on the team anymore. Also worth noting that this wasn’t the first time this kid got suspended this year and none of us know exactly what transpired. Real good chance this wasn’t an isolated one time deal. And LMAO at “blasted the coach on my way out the door”. I’m sure he would have reacted to that better than he would have if you hadn’t given him your phone.